• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case?

EastonTexas

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a certain year 242 transfer case that would be better to replace a 229 on 84 xj? I would still like the full time 4wd option

What trans do you have? The issue would be the input gear!

Input gear, front output yoke style, and rear driveshaft slip yoke style will be your largest issues.

Input gear spline and length RCP already covered.

Pretty sure 84-86 XJ used a "ball in cup" style CV on the front driveshaft, which the later 231 and 242 do not have. I am not sure if the one off your old tcase will be compatible but it might swap over. If not, expect to be swapping to a later year or custom front driveshaft, the donor for this will depend on what engine and transmission you have, I am not actually sure there is a compatible 87-up front driveshaft for your engine and an A904.

rear driveshaft slip yoke, well, you'll definitely want a 87-95 242 because in 96 they started using a different style. I am still not sure if your driveshaft will be the right length with a 242 swapped in instead of the 229, you'll have to measure your tcase length vs the new tcase length for that answer.

You will also want to compare the front and rear output spline counts on 229 vs 242 before making any of these choices. I would tell you if they were the same but I honestly do not know, 84-86 XJs are so incredibly rare in the junkyards these days (and have been for the 15 years I've been into XJs/MJs) that I have never actually checked this info on one.

Speedo cable SHOULD be easy, I believe your gear and gear housing will simply move over to any XJ/MJ/YJ/TJ/ZJ 242 made, though it won't fit into a WJ 242.

Shifter linkage will likely require customization as well.

I think the 904's were 23 spline, "short" input, so a 242 with that, and a checkbook for druveshafts from your favorite vendor ought to do nicely.

I think the 904's were 23 spline, "short" input, so a 242 with that, and a checkbook for druveshafts from your favorite vendor ought to do nicely.

Novak shows it as a 23spline/long input which are limted in year/application.

Back