• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Issues

I wouldn't worry too much about it until it looks like this.

standard.jpg

Are you sure it is the chain rubbing?

What is your plans for the rig?

That Atlas II makes a nice upgrade! ($2500)

Or you can get the thicker chain upgread and a 4:1 with a SYE etc. etc. etc. ($1500 but still have the chain slop in the drive line)

Or you can try to get a stock replacement and save some cash. ($200 - $400 or maybe find a good deal for less)

Just depends on where you want to go with the rig.

Yea I'm sure it's the chain rubbing. Weird thing is it only happens when it's in 4wd and only sometimes which is weird. It seems like if I'm at a stop and I lock it in then it will rub, but if I'm already rolling and I engage the 4wd it doesn't have a problem

This is my daily driver on 33s. I don't have plans to make it any more extreme than it is now seeing as I'll be going off to college in 9 months and I can't bring it with me

Sounds strange that it would only do it then.

You should check your T-case mount, make sure it is in good condition, they wear out on the inside but from the outside they look fine. My first guess is the front driveshaft is rubbing on something.

If it is the T-case and for your rig I would just keep an eye out for someone selling one. Do you have a SYE on it?

It has a hack n tap on it. I just picked it up from another user on here a few months ago. He said it had only around 70k on it but there's no way I can really be sure. What part do you mean by the t-case mount?

the mount between the t case and the x member. if its shot it can cause problems. its the t case /tranny mount. they are like 30$. its hard to visually inspect them that they are bad. easy to do .

1996 Cherokee with the 4.0 and AW-4. Lifted 4 inches with a home fab hack-n-tap SYE. T-case was swapped in October. This one supposedly came out of a newer (2000?) Jeep with around 70k miles. It felt pretty solid when I put it in. Only thing I did notice was that the rear output shaft moved back and forth a little

Well then sounds like something else is going on. With a 96 you don't have the disconnect front axle. This means the front driveshaft is turning anytime the vehicle is in motion. The front driveshaft turns the front transfer case yoke, sprocket, and chain. So if your problem only happens in 4wd, then it may be something other than the chain itself since it moves anytime the vehicle is in motion. If it only happens in 4wd low, but not high range then it might be the planetary gears. Seems like you need to check it out a bit more.

Back