• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case drop....

Had a Tera 1" drop under mine for about a year and it was fine. Eliminated most vibrations. For some reason, I still would go through the U joint on the T case side more often. However, I decided to remove my drop kit Saturday and replace it with this. Much better!

img153-1.jpg

fisher446 said:
wow i got lucky.m not kidding when i say this, i got it done in linke 5mins. Studs came right out and i put spacers in and my vibes are gone.... No torch, no stud puller, just a wrench.lol
Did you use the supplied bolts or did you upgrade to Grade 8 Hardware? I initially did the ones that Skyjacker gave me and the busted off the very next wheeling trip.

Which bolts, the ones that go onto the subframe? can you get grade 8 bolts at a hardware store or do they have to be ordered?
xjboy said:
Did you use the supplied bolts or did you upgrade to Grade 8 Hardware? I initially did the ones that Skyjacker gave me and the busted off the very next wheeling trip.

I used the bolts that came with the skyjacker kit, and they worked fine for 2 years. Did you overtighten them? I find it kind of odd that they would just shear off.

jekyllrider said:
Which bolts, the ones that go onto the subframe? can you get grade 8 bolts at a hardware store or do they have to be ordered?
Yeah I just matched the threads with bolts from a hardware store and also got longer ones.

Dave41079 said:
I used the bolts that came with the skyjacker kit, and they worked fine for 2 years. Did you overtighten them? I find it kind of odd that they would just shear off.
I believe they were not long enough and the threads just totally stripped off, and it totally dropped my crossemember in the middle of a trail.

well I finally installed my drop kit, got rid of the vibes. One thing to note: I had to move a small hose(ac?) that was right next to the battery because the fan would hit the metal elbow on it. fortunatly I saw a post in another thread, somebody said to check the fan clearance with the fan shroud-no issues there but im glad I saw the hose problem before I drove it.

also, im not sure if its my imagination but it does feel like there is some more vibration at idle and a little more engine noise.

anybody else have these issues?

jekyllrider said:
well I finally installed my drop kit, got rid of the vibes. One thing to note: I had to move a small hose(ac?) that was right next to the battery because the fan would hit the metal elbow on it. fortunatly I saw a post in another thread, somebody said to check the fan clearance with the fan shroud-no issues there but im glad I saw the hose problem before I drove it.

also, im not sure if its my imagination but it does feel like there is some more vibration at idle and a little more engine noise.

anybody else have these issues?

yep, the new angle of the tranny and engine has now put different pressure on the engine and tranny mounts....but better than vibes right?!

I installed a transfercase drop on my xj that came with my lift. its the kind that lowers the crossmember with spacers. the install went fine and everything was all good until the first time i went for a drive. i went over some bumps at high speed and i felt a clunk underneath my feet and new it was my t-case. ever since then my transfer case seem to moved. my xj is in 2H when the lever is at 4H. when the lever is around N the jeep will be in 4H. 4L is N and i can't get into 4L b/c the shifter won't go any further. i'm guessing this isn't whats supposed to happen. should i just remove the drop?

No. All you need to do is readjust the transfer case linkage. Crawl under and you will be able see the linkage going to the handle. Adjust this and then cycle through the different positions to make sure you have it right. Make sure to tighten everything up nice and tight when you are finished.

anyone know the threadsize/pitch of the tcase mount-to-frame bolts? I'm removing my tc drop kit (got an SYE finally), and need to pick up some shorter bolts.

I just installed a 3in RC suspension lift and i was having the wobble/vibration problems. I was recommeded to try shims in the back end but that seemed to make it worse. It sounds like I should try doing a tcase drop, but do you think I should take the shims out before/after/or at all if I am doing the tcase drop? Any advice would be helpful thanks

Back