• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop ?

What year is your rig? Newer rigs seem to be more prone to vibes than older ones. Also auto equipped rigs have a shorter driveshaft than the 5psd ones and are more prone to vibes.

At 4.5" I was ok on my '89 XJ with a 5spd but I did use shims to rotate the pinion up. When I converted it to auto I had to do a t-case drop.

Just did a 3.5" lift on a friends '96 XJ, 5spd and he needed a t-case drop.

Sometimes just rotating the pinion up will do the trick.

I just lifted mine (2" B.B.; '99) and am waiting for the A.A.L.s to settle. Then, if I have vibes, I've got some 1.5"x1/4" bar stock that I'll double up. If that doesn't work, I'll add another layer for 3/4" and so on up to one inch (after that, I'll have to look at shims). If your motor mounts are in good shape, I'd recommend loosening the all bolts about a half turn or so before putting in the drop. That will help relieve some tension on them; then you can tighten them back up once the t-case is lowered.

i forget where i saw it but you should look into a modified x-member. i saw one that lowers an inch without the spacer where it bolts to the framerail. i have a 1 inch drop and since i put on my x-member got completely bashed.

demiv said:
i forget where i saw it but you should look into a modified x-member. i saw one that lowers an inch without the spacer where it bolts to the framerail. i have a 1 inch drop and since i put on my x-member got completely bashed.

Rusty's sells the drop crossmember for around $100

Back