• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler recommendation?

I believe most (not all) aftermarket transmission coolers have a built in 'valve' that prevents the fluid from going thru the cooler until the fluid warms to a certain temp. That way it would prevent the over-cooling issues mentioned above. See if the coolers your're looking at mention this?

My aftermarket cooler is set up AFTER the Radiator and the last thing the fluid flows thru before re-entering the Transmission.

I believe most (not all) aftermarket transmission coolers have a built in 'valve' that prevents the fluid from going thru the cooler until the fluid warms to a certain temp. That way it would prevent the over-cooling issues mentioned above. See if the coolers your're looking at mention this?

The B&M cooler I use has a viscosity valve, so that thinner (hotter) oil is run through the stacked plates while thicker (cooler) oil is diverted around. Its not 100% but it probably does do something.

You can buy actual thermal bypass valves, like this one that is supposed to stay closed to around 180 then open up passage to the trans cooler. A local trans rebuilder gave me a couple of them for free, says he doesn't install them because its something else to fail, and just does the cooler->radiator routing.

My aftermarket cooler is set up AFTER the Radiator and the last thing the fluid flows thru before re-entering the Transmission.
backwards

After installing a very large trans cooler in our motorhome, a thermostatic control valve was added that bypasses the cooler until the temperature gets to around 160 degrees.
We camp year round so and do not want the transmission over cooled.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13011/overview/

On both of my '99s - the connections were:

Transmission -> Radiator -> External Cooler -> Transmission
If this is how the factory designed it and how B&M says to install their coolers, I am surprised there is even a debate over the correct orientation. Just my thoughts.

I have the biggest stacked plate cooler I could fit in front of the radiator on the jeep, plumbed only to the transmission. No idea on the temps. It is routinely 98-100 degrees here for 3 months in the summer and in the teens and 20's in the winter.

It's been 7 years and it hasn't blown up yet.

Back