• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranmission cooler

I have never had an issue running an AW4 lower that 180*. I had a big cooler on my old 2000 with a temp gauge, and that thing rarely got over 150* with normal driving. Hell, on the morning drive into work (25 miles down the 210) the needle would even move. I was also running plus 4 in that trans. The cooler you can keep a trans, the better, believe me, I know...

Justin

the reason i posted here in the so cal forum is becuase you guys know the weather and would be able to give me the best advice. if i was back east i might post in that section. hey tone alot of your posts are rude and dont need to exist. so tell me whos flooding this section of the forum with rubbish. i asked a simple question. thanks for your feed back guys.

The cooler you can keep a trans, the better, believe me, I know...

Justin

He does, trust me.

There you have it then. Keep it cool, I read somewhere that every 10 degrees your trans goes over 200 shortens it's life by 10k miles, I don't know if that's true or not but I do know heat is about the only thing that can kill an AW4.

Interesting about the operating temp.... I put a j/y tranny cooler off a full size ford on mine about 2 weeks ago. Installed a B&M tranny temp gauge same time, and have yet to see it pass 160-170.

Where is your sender located?

ok so when i disconnect the ac condensor to hook up the trans to it is there anything i need to do as far as capping the ac lines off or removing them. i dont want to just leave them hanging there with the ac system opened up.

cap the lines coming out of the compressor or you're going to ruin it with dust. make sure to have the system evacuated by an ac tech to keep the eco nazis happy, and once disconnected remove the hoses and the filter/drier assembly because you don't need it anymore and it's in the way.

simple as that.

Hook them together for now. BUT.Did you have all the freon removed at a shop? Please say yes to this. OK after that was done i would just pipe them together if your not removing the unit from the jeep.Find the wire on the compressor and unplug it so it will not kick on when you hit the defrost.

no i did not have all the freon removed. im going to assume that there isnt any in the system though becasue the hose is all old and such and the ac hasnt blown cold since i have owned the jeep. if there is any in there score becuase i can huff it and get a good high goin.... will unpluggint the compressor mess with the aux fan coming on at all? a guy on here has a thread up in the oem forum stating that when he deleted his ac system he lost his aux fan. (it wont kick on). i definitely dont want that to happen to me. scott did you get my pm?

no i did not have all the freon removed. im going to assume that there isnt any in the system though becasue the hose is all old and such and the ac hasnt blown cold since i have owned the jeep. if there is any in there score becuase i can huff it and get a good high goin.... will unpluggint the compressor mess with the aux fan coming on at all? a guy on here has a thread up in the oem forum stating that when he deleted his ac system he lost his aux fan. (it wont kick on). i definitely dont want that to happen to me. scott did you get my pm?

The system is still under pressure and will need to be decompressed properly. Your aux fan should still work...If not by Webdogs Electric Fan Conversion kit ;)

Last edited:

I am not even going to say it!

I am not even going to say it!

Max, I think we should let him know...Inhalation of high concentrations of vapor is harmful and may cause heart irregularities, unconsciousness or death. Intentional misuse or deliberate inhalation can be fatal. Vapors are heavier than air and pose a threat of suffocation if trapped in enclosed or low places. :skull2:

i would not ever do that for real. when i was a kid a buddy of mine used to take the freon out of the ac system at school and huff it. once i saw him passout and bust his face to shit. that was enough for me. hey max since youre here are those fan lits goin on sale again any time soon? thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it.

Back