• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Train horn Installed! Pics!

the idea looks good, but I would be concerned with that tank and amp being mounted like that.
that metal looks anything but strong, and in an accident if that contraption fails, the tank and amp are now heavy projectiles aimed at the back of your head. even if the hoses, wires hold them back a bit, anyone in the back seat is gonna get hurt.

the install looks clean otherwise, but I'd be concerned about that mount/structure.

I agree, Hit a car Head on and see what happens. TRUST ME! I had my tool box ratchet strapped down when it happened and it slid right out from under it! It would have stayed if I rolled it on the trail but hitting a car exerts a lot of force!

I did exactly the same thing only mine was with ABS pipe from Home Depot. I digg it!

It didnt melt under there?? I originally bought PVC, but decided to go with the exhaust pipe, cause of temps...

and I do realize the dangers of being in a wreck to those who mentioned. The structure is actually really sturdy. I dont know just how hard I would have to hit something for that to become dislodged, but eventually this jeep will no longer be my DD... Going to get a car once a get a job! (probably a subaru) That should help make this safer!

It didnt melt under there?? I originally bought PVC, but decided to go with the exhaust pipe, cause of temps...

and I do realize the dangers of being in a wreck to those who mentioned. The structure is actually really sturdy. I dont know just how hard I would have to hit something for that to become dislodged, but eventually this jeep will no longer be my DD... Going to get a car once a get a job! (probably a subaru) That should help make this safer!

Nope hasn't melted yet. And its been on there for a year now. I also live in dead center AZ where its hot as a you know what and had real bad over heating problems this past summer. I never thought about using exhaust pipe but im about to tear mine out so I may consider that. its gonna need work anyway because the cone i bought was a tad too large to fit in the cowl area so its kinda scrunched and i have a 90 degree abs elbow its attached to so its not very flexible.

Train Horns.....Please don't ride around blowing those things at people walking or outside starbucks or something, it's for your own good, a buddy of mine thought it was hilarious to drive by starbucks and blow his air horns, he did it one night and got a chair thrown through his back glass and a gun pulled on him, he drove away realllll fast. He deserved it, but it could have ended badly!!

I can't think of a better use than to harass people at starbucks!!! Seriously though, I'd be more afraid of some jacka s s with a lawyer trying to sue me for hearing damage!!

Be careful about where you use that thing, an aquaintance of mine had one of those...and racked up quite a few tickets. The police got familiar with his car and were always hassling him....cool idea...just watch how much/ where you use it.
Haven't been hassled yet, probably because I kept my OEM horn and only use my fire truck horn when situations warrant it (being cut off extremely closely by some dbag on the highway, someone ignores my normal horn and keeps merging into my lane or something, screwing with my friends who all know about it already, etc)

and for the moron drivers that deserve a good slap in the face haha. They are on a separate button. I still have my regular horn.
X2 on this for sure. PS, the guys at the inspection station loved the horn and wouldn't stop playing with it... they didn't even check the factory horn button.

Why, they take up space and are as annoying as the idiots running around with 10 inch stacks. Don't mean to offend its a nice install but its just stupid. I am surprised the Scion in that video could even drive with that monster in it!
Ever have some dumbass nearly merge into you because they're too busy talking on their cellphone? I did, and my XJ doesn't even have a scratch on it. I got glared at and flipped off though, but I think he dropped his cellphone.

Train Horns.....Please don't ride around blowing those things at people walking or outside starbucks or something, it's for your own good, a buddy of mine thought it was hilarious to drive by starbucks and blow his air horns, he did it one night and got a chair thrown through his back glass and a gun pulled on him, he drove away realllll fast. He deserved it, but it could have ended badly!!
:gee:

That was a pretty stupid plan on his part, but man, I wouldn't expect to get a gun pulled on me and a chair thrown over it. You guys play tough down there.

Haven't been hassled yet, probably because I kept my OEM horn and only use my fire truck horn when situations warrant it (being cut off extremely closely by some dbag on the highway, someone ignores my normal horn and keeps merging into my lane or something, screwing with my friends who all know about it already, etc)

X2 on this for sure. PS, the guys at the inspection station loved the horn and wouldn't stop playing with it... they didn't even check the factory horn button.

Ever have some dumbass nearly merge into you because they're too busy talking on their cellphone? I did, and my XJ doesn't even have a scratch on it. I got glared at and flipped off though, but I think he dropped his cellphone.

:gee:

That was a pretty stupid plan on his part, but man, I wouldn't expect to get a gun pulled on me and a chair thrown over it. You guys play tough down there.

I had a corvette try to push me off the road before, i was driving next to the K Rail and he was going into me. so I was honking a good 30 - 40 seconds solid, and he kept doing it we even made eye contact and then he pushed closer. I wish i had a train for for that. I then proceeded to follow him for about 5 miles contemplating calling him in as a drunk...

I had a corvette try to push me off the road before, i was driving next to the K Rail and he was going into me. so I was honking a good 30 - 40 seconds solid, and he kept doing it we even made eye contact and then he pushed closer. I wish i had a train for for that. I then proceeded to follow him for about 5 miles contemplating calling him in as a drunk...
If his car was more expensive, this is the name of the game... make eye contact, then grin. People back off pretty quick if they are playing stupid games like that and realize you (a) don't care and (b) have a cheaper car than them.

If his car was more expensive, this is the name of the game... make eye contact, then grin. People back off pretty quick if they are playing stupid games like that and realize you (a) don't care and (b) have a cheaper car than them.

I completely did, if it happened again i would ride my lanes line and if he hit me fine i got so much armor at the car height it would probably only scratch the paint.

I completely did, if it happened again i would ride my lanes line and if he hit me fine i got so much armor at the car height it would probably only scratch the paint.
I was thinking, "There are rock sliders there for them to scrape on if they want".
Generally, people merge like that because they're lost in their own little world. The occasional jackass that does it on purpose like the mentioned 'Vette driver,...
right or wrong, there's no reason to get in a pissing match with them. I have better things to do then that.

Using them for the plentiful morons on the road is a good idea, the stock horns are useless in Atlanta traffic, I can attest to this. Messing with friends would also be pretty fun, I might have to pick up a set of these (a friend of mines dad works on trains, maybe he has some he'd like to get rid of!).

Using them for the plentiful morons on the road is a good idea, the stock horns are useless in Atlanta traffic,
If that's anything like Savanna traffic, I'd believe you.

I told a friend I wanted to get train horns and mount on my Jeep. he said where on the freaking roof. I said under the Jeep somewhere as there is no room under the hood. His reply was "Dude those things are like 4 feet long". I guess the ones on the trains he "drives" (he's a train engineer for NJ Transit) are not like the ones you often see on ebay or that 4wdlifefrom has under his Jeep. I never saw the cowl intake idea before. I will check into that when I have time as there isn't any room under the hood for a decent set of horns.

No there is definitely no room under there. I did the cowl Intake so that I could put my battery where the air box was and put a york compressor where the battery is. As for the horns, not sure where im going to put those yet but I have a lot of room behind the hollow winch bumper up front so I was thinking there would work.

For horn placement ideas, IF you are lifted, I have heard alot of people put them above the rear diff. I had them there on my previous rig.

The place i bought the horns at said for best sound, have them point downward toward the road. I guess that is if you want to distribute the sound better? Just a thought.

Well Id originally planned for my 2gal air tank to go there, i have it all measured to fit right up and bolt to the floor with a 1/4 box to protect it from punctures. Its small enough that even when fully compressed the diff shouldnt come close to hitting it. BUt the front bumper works for me, I planned on having 4 horns two on each side directed outward toward the lanes on either side of me, i think thats pretty good distribution right?

I've got mine on the center of the roof, hanging out over the windshield. Some people don't dig how it looks, others do. Heck, some days I think it looks retarded.

Sure works great though, and I have a pullchain coming down through the garage remote trapdoor on the overhead console I installed. Pretty easy to shove the chain back up inside and close the lid to keep inquisitive passengers from overusing it :twak:

i have this beauty mounted on my motorcycle, facing the right hand lane:
http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=14&uso=1&tipologia=moto

I've used it to scare a 3-series BMW back into her lane when she tried invading my space.

loud train horns are cool and all for show in a cage, but a 139dB horn on my motorcycle is a literal lifesaver party1:

I run the Stebel in my XJ, i love it cause it is so loud, and is verycompact, can fit anywhere on any vehicle.. Great horn for the money, and high quality....

Back