• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer wiring HELP!!!!!

1988 Cherokoo

NAXJA Forum User
I took the plunge and bought me a 70's 12 foot trailer, $800.
Drove 2 hours, 100 km/h runs straight, over heated the XJ on a few hills but she cooled down real good. 90 seems to help. No mountain driving for this rig.

My drivers blinker flashes fast when brakes off, and normal when brakes on.
pass. blinker there is nothing, no blinks no running no brakes.
Turn my truck lights on, all running lights on trailer work except pass blinker.

I followed what the guy did in the junkyard vehilce. Doesnt work. I used T Connectors, self splicing. Should I just splice from either light, instead of all just around the back drivers cargo side panel?

Blinkers seem easy, I got the yellow blinks.
Running lights I hear there is a wire going to both, just find it tap it.

GROUND - yes I bought speaker wire, hooked up battery ground, to inside panel ground, to trailer ground. Will try sanding trailer for better ground, but buddy said his worked fine on his truck. I just dont know. I think the diode thingy should be fine as it was behind the panel in yard. Will try again tomorow.

Did a quick fix, tapped into non working light, tapped into + on batter. Manual blinker from inside cab. Brakes = pedal + leave wires together until I go again.

4.0L I6, auto
HELP!!!!!!!!!

I think you may need the light adapter sold at most trailer places/parts stores.

Update - There was a ground issue on the trailers light itself. 1157 bulb. Each light is grounded.

I did buy the Reese $50 harness. It worked great.

Had the other used one, hooked up as well, along with Reese.

Reese worked good, plugged in old used one and it had problems.

I cut the old one off, taped up the connections, now running lights dont go on, but everything else works. I know its a ground issue again. I just wanted to look at in during daylight so I dont mess up the wiring thats pulled out of the jeeps wall. I noticed I had the white wire hanging loose unconnected, so I hooked it to jeeps ground, thats what made the running lights not work.

WHEN YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH WIRING.
#1 ALWAYS CHECK GROUND
CHECK GROUND ON ALL LIGHTS. THE SCREW BELOW THE BULB, TIGHTEN AND LOOSEN SEE IF BULB GOES ON. NEXT, MAKE SURE TRAILER GROUND AND TOWING VEHICLE GROUND ARE GOOD CONNECTIONS. NO PAINT OR RUST.

THIS SOLVES MANY PROBLEMS

Well wire is wire and it worked.
I will replace with regular wire at proper guage.

The problem I am having now is my flashers blink fast with no brakes on. Flash normal while brakes on. This is with running lights off.

Running lights on. Blinkers blink fast and other bulb pulsates with blinker. Blinkers blink normally with brakes on and other bulb pulsates but not as bad.

Is this a problem with my old trailer lights, do I need to upgrade to a LED light or something newer? or do I just replace the Flasher module?

I have a 88 XJ, 4.0L I6 auto. Towing a 1970's 12 foot trailer.

Back