• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar poll

What trackbar set up are you running

• Rubicon Express

Votes: 104 53.3%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Rough Country

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Rock Krawler

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • TNT

Votes: 26 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've run KOR - its a very nice setup (although the powdercoating job sucked). I love JKS stuff...

However...

when I got my new RE HD bar, bracket AND brace, talk about WOW...some beefy sh!t right there. Its my first RE item and I have to say my expectations were far surpassed.

When I get back in 4 months, I'll have a KOR TB setup to sell...so, be on the lookout :)

does tnt make the "builder trackbar?" the one thats just straight and can be cut to length for custom OTK setups? i'm looking to buy one to compliment my jks OTA bracket and JCR 1-ton OTK but i can't find where to get it, thought it was tnt or jks?

swbooking said:
x2 that welded piece on there looks cheezy and cheap. Id rather have a stout bracket then a stock one with a welded piece on it.

Thats why I went with the Iron Rock setup. The bracket is CNC Laser cut and precision break bent from 1/4" plate steel and the track bar is 1.25" cold rolled solid steel bar and is adjustable for 3-8" of lift. All for $189.99 too.

jaburk said:
Thats why I went with the Iron Rock setup. The bracket is CNC Laser cut and precision break bent from 1/4" plate steel and the track bar is 1.25" cold rolled solid steel bar and is adjustable for 3-8" of lift. All for $189.99 too.

IIRC, that's just a copy of TNT's design. I'm not interested enough to sniff it out though.:D

jaburk said:

but doesnt that bar have 2 fixed ends. the tnt, RE, kevins has one fixed end and a joint(superflex, johnny joint) at the other end.

I have the JKS TB. Though I have not had any problems, I'm not a fan of the single shear joint at the frame end. If/when it fails I'll take a look at the double shear set-ups.

Harlee&Tahoe said:

Last Sept. I was T-Boned in my front axle by a newb driver hard enough to deploy newbs airbags and blast the 2 coffees she just purchased from Charbucks all over, tore front valence(plasticbumpercovercrap) and peeled quarter panel. Me: nothing but a dented rim(steel,repaired), bent front axle (disco,replaced non-disco), and frame shop says chassis alignment is out of spec.(3mm)
Couple of easy fixes and I can live with 3mm., but could have been a whole lot worse. TB took brunt of the force, stock may have sheared, especially old worn 20yr old TRE and mount.

The welded piece can withstand a good deal of impact. I was knocked over about 4ft.
It was the adjustability from 0-8in. that was the only "HD" setup I could use.

I'm running the Rusty's HD one on my XJ with ~6" of lift and a TnT Ylink...and it's held up so far!! I've seen a guy on 33s bend once and break once the rusty's one. Not the tracbar itself, but the joint up at the frame side, probably because it's too thin and too many threads are sticking out of the tracbar. Mine has probably too many threads sticking out, but somehow hasn't broken yet!!

So, I've acquired the RE HD unit and am going to be swapping it out. The larger threads at the adjustment part make me feel a little warmer and fuzzier inside, ya know.

Also, not to bash the rusty's one (I think they've changed the design now) because I do love a lot of rusty's stuff, but last time I had the jeep up on the ramp lift I was pulling down on the middle of the tracbar and it noticable deflected!! I duno how mine hasn't bent or broken so far (knock on wood!).

89xj said:
but doesnt that bar have 2 fixed ends. the tnt, RE, kevins has one fixed end and a joint(superflex, johnny joint) at the other end.

True, but with a double shear you don't really gain anything by having a "flex" joint.

I run a RE HD setup. Only because someone came to the dealership and asked if one of us techs wanted a whole short-arm setup with front springs and all. Me being the only guy that owns an XJ, I scored it all for free. SWEET!!!

jaburk said:
True, but with a double shear you don't really gain anything by having a "flex" joint.
So when axle is at full stuff or droop axle doesn't shift forward or back?

The joint is supposed to relieve any torsional stress on the mount that may occur during extreme articulation,
or just to add more work to the fab to charge you more $$

yeah, a flexing joint is important IMO. the axle does not just move up and down, it moves in circular path... but a bushing would probably be fine as long as the brackets and bushing ends can take the extra stress.

I use the rough country bar...I've already stripped out two TRE's because apparently they're not hardened enough, and for some reason the taper is not quite right. I can't get a cotter pin through the castle nut. The bar is fine, though a bit undersized for hardcore 4-wheeling. I'm just having problems with the TRE.

I too am running the Rough Country TB. The bar itself is not too bad, but I agree that the TRE is the weak link for starters. I personally have gone through 3 TRE's in less than a year. Now this is not RC's fault, the TRE's are just wearing out and I have tried MOOG and another brand as replacements and they all fail the same. I have been talking with Jason (GRIMUS99XJ) at RC and he told me that they have a new design that is coming out that has a different bend at the axle mounting end and they are upgrading to a heim set up on the body end. I guess we will wait and see what comes out.

I would either go with TNT or the RE setup. I have the TNT and the fitment was pretty good. I wish the bracket was angled forward a little bit so the joint had a little less angle to it. I'm told the RE one does angle forward but I don't know first hand. All in all my axle needs to be moved forward so I have to take care of that and all will be well. Like someone else said when you grab the TNT bracket out of the box all you can say is WOW it is beefy as hell

1 vote for rk, i got my bar and bracket shipped to my door for 150 flat from DC4WD. and its pure beef i could crush rocks with this thing. The frame and axel ends allow for some giant bolts to for the added support. Good customer service as well they called me just to verify my lift amount to make sure they'd send me the right bar and bracket combo.

I am running the Rubicon Express trackbar with the small haim mount on the top. It has not gave me any trouble but I had to replace the heim joint once but that was after 3 years of offroading and daily driving.

Previously I had a rustys trackbar that I bent by hitting a ditch to hard and fast to avoid a minivan backing up on the downside of a hill on a 55 mph highway. Shortly after it broke in half while wheeling.

I have an RE TB.....
but, could be talked into something better.
I'll keep reading

BOB

Back