• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Relocation Bracket

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

Im new your guys' site, I typically go to ultimatejeep.com, but now that I have an XJ, I need some expertise. This weekend im throwing together a hodge podge lift on my XJ. 1" spacer, 3" skyjacker front springs, skyjacker control arms, 3" rough country leaves, Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, Transfer case drop, and a track bar relocation bracket. Im gonna have to roll on my stock sway bar links for the time being... I know I know.

Anyway, I was under my 98 XJ tonight looking at how the track bar relocation bracket goes on, and im gonna be honest, I have frickening clue where this thing goes. I just got it from Jack-it, and it didn't come with any instructions. If you flip through quadratec, you can see the bracket shown in some of the lift kit pictures...I just don't know. I assume someone here has done it, though I see a lot of you guys run adjustable track bars..

Anyway, if anybody could give me any insite on this, I would really appreciate it. Things were sure a lot easier on my 93 YJ that I just sold...on that, I just trashed the track bar.. No such luck on coils unfortunately.

Peace, Derek

The bracket goes on the track bar where it connects to the axle, if it is a dana 30. Personal opinion trash it, and get an adjustable track bar. That thing will cause you more headaches, death wobble as it is commonly referred.

X2 on the trash can.I have one here I always lend out AND ALWAYS GET BACK.

No, the bracket! It bolted on, and the bar bolts to it. It was mooving to and fro when the steering wheel wa turned, so i welded the BRACKET to the axle. The bar still pivots in the bracket extension

I still don't follow where the thing actually bolts on. The best I can figure you remove the steering stabilizer shock, bolt the bracket in there, relocate the steering shock up a little higher, and the track bar gets bolted to that little eye. That is about the only thing that makes sense to me..

I dont have the extra cash right now to buy an adjustable track bar....thats why I went with the mount. So I need this to work for right now.

Does anyone have any pictures they could take for me? I am not having any luck getting install instructions from Jack-It.

Thanks,

Derek

the bracket has maybe 5 holes drilled in it. 2 are for the track bar. 2 are for going where the trackbar used to be. The 5th is for support. The widest set is for the trackbar. The narrower set is for going where the trackbar used to be. The lone one - you have to drill a hole and mount it.

trackbarrelocationbrkt.jpg
bds-xj-5.jpg

Remove trackbar from axle end and let drop to the ground
Attach bracket to track bar's axle end.
Wedge bracket to where track bar used to be.
observe
Try to center the axle
drill a new hole for the support
mount

Do not skip the additional mount - or you will die. Using this product is ill-advised.

Last edited:
I looked up the install instructions on Skyjacker's website. It really does not make a darn bit of sense to me, because you in essence are pushing the axle farther away from the body, and this mount bolts into where the track bar was to begin with, and the mount is now on the underside of the axle, effectively pulling the track bar down even farther. Maybe im reading too much into it though..,.
http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/JC301K.pdf

notice a ~1" change in position laterally. The lift pulled the axle to the driver's side and the bracket pushes it back some. It also makes the trackbar steeper resulting in quicker bind. Such a steep trackbar wants to cycle that position laterally and vertically whereas the other 4 links are just interested in vertical movement.

Sweet,

Thanks for the picture on that. The whole Idea just seems stupid to me, but I am going to give it a shot anyway and see what happens. I would think you would want to mount the track bar up higher as to attempt to keep the track bar level. Man leafs are sounding really good right now.

Thanks again!

Save the bracket for last, you may not even need it.

When I did my 3” lift I did everything else and looked to see if it had pulled the axle off-center. Without the bracket the axle is close enough to center that I can’t tell a difference in how the tires line up with the flares by eyeballing it and it tracks straight and aligned ok. I had no problems leaving it off and using the stock trackbar.

I got the bracket and have had it on for 4 years now with no problems. If you look at a 3" lift it only moves the axle like 3/8 of an inch so when you put the bracket in it maves back 1/2 and inch or so. I have one with 5" and it's not off that bad. I am however getting ready to order a new trac bar that's adjustable.

DW is usually cause by many different factors. I got it with bad tires then with bad ball joints and then with worn bushings. I have basically replaced everything int he front end and it rides nice. I am working on getting a dana 44 front for it now. If that happens then I wated an entirely new front end.

I also ran my stock trac bar with about 3 inches of lift until it wore out (as well as stock control arms). I think it lasted about 5 months before the TRE on it was shot.

Then I bought an RE adjustable trac bar and LCA's. Still using the stock uppers at 4.5 inches of lift now.

I initially had some death wobble but I am pretty sure it was due to worn out TRE's. Replaced them, got an alignment and no more probs.

I looked at those one time when I was doing my son's budget lift but never found anyone who had run them - a few weld beads sounds like a winner but I wouldn't make them a 'permanent' fixture... I have a feeling you'll want an adjustable trackbar later so make it so ya can get them off later.

(And if ya want a R.E. 1600 adjustable track bar in vgc + a spare end & the frame mount ready to go head on over to the for sale forum. :D )

DO NOT run this bracket!!! It means the drag link and the trackbar will no longer be parallel and this will induce bumpsteer. This means that even under braking when the front suspension compressors, the Jeep will turn without any imput from the steering wheel.
If you cannot afford an adjustable trackbar, just re-drill the axle mount hole 1/2 the distance it is out left to right to centre the axle after welding up the old hole if too near. I cover this on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back