• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar question

DynoGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I need to replace the stock TB on my rig as the frame side is getting bad. I have plans of replacing the d30 to something bigger with a long arms but that's not for months. I'd like to know if I use chromoly tubing, what wall size would you use. This rig will see some street use, along with moderate to hard trails. Btw I have access to the tubing and steel for fabing my onw TB and mounts, so please no just buy (insert brand here) .
Thanks,
Mike

If using chromo, you could get away with smaller 1.25 OD tubing. Many use 1.5x0.25 DOM and that's enough beef to control 1tons. You gunna do inserts or direct tap the tubing for the ends?

if you are running chromo the .120 wall is plenty.

but it also depends on how many bends you put in it. if it ends up being mild I would say .120 would be ok as long as it's a straight bar.

pick whatever size ends you are going to use, then pick the adapters for them and get the tube with the right ID.

Isn't chromoly a waste without heat treating?

Heat treating it makes it MUCH stronger than it already is. Chromoly is stronger than DOM as is.

Isn't chromoly a waste without heat treating?

It's still stronger than mild.

heat treating makes it More strongerer.

so for a part that needs to be "vanimal proof" yes, heat treating is important.

but for those times when you are wanting to either get a bit more strength out of something or step down material size on something, like a trackbar, without losing any strength heat treating probably isn't necessary.

Back