• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Decision

By drifting, I take it you mean your jeep wanders in stead of holding one direction. This is a result of loose steering connections....could be track bar (likely), or worn tie rod ends (next most likley), ball joints, or control arm bushings. Get under the front streering components and watch each joint while someone saws back and forth on the steering wheel- look for slop, if both sides of the connection don't move togther, tightly connected, then you have a loose fitting. Replace those- that is where the wander comes from. My 1990 (owned since new) is on its third track bar, tierod ends have been replaced either two or three time, ball joints once, and control arm bushings once (I don't like the poly bushings- too harsh). The control arm bushings probabaly didn't need replacing. The steering gear is now worn to the point where I get ocassional death wobble (extreme shimmy), so it will be replaced with a Dodge Dakota box next. Not too bad for 260,000 km (162,000 miles) and 18 years.

lowrange2 said:
Lol, I already told you want the problem was... Go check it out. Usually the shops won't even fool with that caster. Especially if it's so far out that it's not possible to fix.

I'm convinced its not caster. Its the fact axle isn't centered. Ball joints are fine. The TRE is shot on the track bar. I'm ordering a RE 1600 soon, and looking for some cheap LCAs.

Thanks guys!

I'll report back in a few months.

lancey3 said:
I'm convinced its not caster.
From reading the thread, you seem pretty clueless, not trying to slam you, but if you are convinced it's not one thing, why are you asking NAXJA. Fix your trackbar and control arm set up!

RyanM said:
From reading the thread, you seem pretty clueless, not trying to slam you, but if you are convinced it's not one thing, why are you asking NAXJA. Fix your trackbar and control arm set up!
The axle is not centered under the axle. I've known this all along. The TRE on it has gone bad recently. If caster was an issue it would have had this problem the moment the lift went on. I'm convinced because of this thread! It pops like someone said, which confirmed the TRE is bad.

...ouch cries....:tears:

EDIT : I'm not saying caster is as good as it could be, but its just not causing the problems right now. Eventually i'll get the arms but its not causing that big of an issue.

Back