• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with a Dolly?

ocean_jet

NAXJA Forum User
Is it safe to tow an XJ using a tow dolly if I disconnect the rear drive shaft?

The rear axle is Dana 44 with a Yukon Grizzly locker.

Thanks,
Mike

I had a tow dolly for years and towed my XJ all over Colorado through the mountains. It had brakes and I had a controller in my vehicle. I ran a Tera2Lo tcase and just put it in neutral, later I went with a D44 up front and would simply unlock the hubs and put it in neutral.

Make sure and air up the tires in the tow vehicle before towing, otherwise it will wallow on the dolly and make for some screwy towing.

I disconnected my rear driveshaft and put the transfer case in neutral and towed it from Albuquerque, NM to Boston, MA. One thing to keep in mind is that if it's on the dolly for longer than a day, your transmission might drain fluid away from the pump and grind badly when you try to put it in gear and back off the dolly.

I resolved this issue by putting the e-brake on in the jeep, putting the dolly ramps down, and then just pulling the tow rig forward.

Back