• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Modifications

Well, the Stant superstat thermostats seem pretty similar - minus their V notch technology.

And if the thermostat is made RIGHT, the temperature won't matter......

The Autozone ones were flimsier and cheaper.....

So yeah, Dealer is OEM so has to work....the other ones, it all depends.

The Stant thermostat did keep a nice constant temperature, so I didn't have any problems with it like I did with the autozone thermostat....

But the Stant thermostat failed.... Not saying they are all like that by all means - I've had great success with Stant in the past. But as everthing, sometimes you are blessed with receiving a defective part.....or in this case, it took 3 months to fail.

Reader said:
I have purchased a 2000 Cherokee Classic.

I intend to tow a 2,000 lb boat.

If I understand my research, the typical Cherokee Sport has a 2,000 lb towing capacity. If it was ordered from the factory with the "Towing Package" it has a 5,000 lb capacity. Is that correct? What is the Towing Package?

What modifications could or should I make to the Cherokee to ensure it can tow something more than 2000 lbs? I want to give myself room for greater weight.

Thank you,

Read
The 2000 XJ tow package comes with a class 3 tow hitch, 3 core radiator, external trans cooler (separate from the radiator), HD alternator and is prewired for trailer lights and trailer brakes.
I regularly tow my 21' Baja at 3300lbs with 800+lb boat trailer without any stabilty problems and that's with a 8+ inch lift and 35s so you'll be just fine with a 2000lb boat at stock height, just make sure your trailers surge brakes are in good shape and working properly. :thumbup:

dsc00191s.jpg

dsc00190s.jpg

btw, I've got that same VW idiot manual for the 4 old VWs I've owned over the years. :D

Back