• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter still good?

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought this jeep it had a bad trans in it. So I replaced it with the one out of my old XJ, which I knew was in good shape. After driving around for a week or so I notice fluid leaking out of the bellhousing. I havent had the time to replace the TC seal (assuming thats what was wrong) so I just kept some ATF with me all the time. We went up in the snow about 2 weeks ago and I lost alot of ATF. The AW4 reached temps of about 200 or a little more at times. I turned around to come home and made it all the way into town. Trying to accelerate from the first stop light I stopped at there was slippage until I hit 3rd gear. After I made it home I put more fluid in it but im pretty sure the damage was done. It started acting better but then would randomly slip until it hit 3rd. Needless to say. Now my jeep will barely move forward. This is the thing. It still seems to move fine in reverse! So Im pretty sure its not a pump because reverse and 1st share a pump right? Im thinking its not the torque converter either. Probably burnt up or stretched the bands right? I have another AW4 to replace it but no torque converter. What are the chances of my current one being fried as well?

Sorry, dont know too much about auto trans and inner workings.

Thanks in advance.
Kris

Back