• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter not seating

Alboy97XJ

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to put a new converter on my jeep and it won't seat at all... I pulled it from another xj and it was fine. R there different tc? What's up with the different color markings on them?

I literally have just done this twice in the past couple weeks. If you are trying to put it on the transmission horizontally you may never get it on. What has worked within a few seconds both times is standing the transmission on its tail end and then slowly rotating the TC back and forth on the shaft and you will notice it drop down a series of times like about three times until it's fully seated. Be careful not to harm the output shaft or put the fill weight of the transmission on that part. Fully seated should be if u place a straight edge over the opening of the bellhousing the snout of the TC should be about 3/16" + lower than the straight edge.

If it keeps leaking ill try that.. I threw it back together with the same tc but replaced the seal and bushing... I measured all three tc I had to see if same size at the pump side and mine currently was 1.492 and the two others where 1.504... So maybe that made a difference? Not as tight of a fit...

Back