• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tornado Chasers on the Discovery channel?

i was envisioning something different, 14 bolt rear 60 front both selectable lockers 37s with air suspension so it can lower down, obviously some sort of armor and anti getsuckedupinatornadoness, some sort of strong plastic for windows (gotta save weight) cummins 6bt if itll fit, and a NP205 t case for when we need 4 wheel peel

Now that would be sweeeeet:gee:

yea, mines almost there...and by almost there i mean i have a 14 bolt sitting in my garage waiting to be prepped to go in

I just realized there is 3 hours of it on tonight. 2 hour greatest storms then the premiere. My dad is trying to convince me we arent watching all of it tonight. He is so wrong...

Was pretty good show. I really want to build a XJ TIV, anyone want to start a NAXJA tornado chaser team? :woohoo:

Oh and I love how shows on HD are on a few hours before the SD channel airs it.

Was pretty good show. I really want to build a XJ TIV, anyone want to start a NAXJA tornado chaser team? :woohoo:

Oh and I love how shows on HD are on a few hours before the SD channel airs it.

Im sooo down. Lets just be completely amateur about it! Just drive wrecklessly into the eye of the tornado!!

I can see it now, the headlines will read:
"Four die after driving station wagon into Tornado"

Last edited:
Im sooo down. Lets just be completely amateur about it! Just drive wrecklessly into the eye of the tornado!!

I can see it now, the headlines will read:
"Four die after driving station wagon into Tornado"
Why be amateur? Just build the rig the same way the "professionals" build them. They start with a 5K lb truck and max out at 17,000 lb. So starting with a XJ; Call it 3700 lb. The finish weight you should aim for would be around 11,000 lb. Keep the D-35 out back. You'll do the same thing the pros do. No danger at all. You sit on the side of the road waiting for parts!

I wonder about this whole TIV concept. Seems they're doing it wrong. Instead of starting with a light duty truck and bulking it up, why not start with an over the road tractor and cut it down? Or maybe one of those International SUVs they're marketing to rich idiots,...

Why be amateur? Just build the rig the same way the "professionals" build them. They start with a 5K lb truck and max out at 17,000 lb. So starting with a XJ; Call it 3700 lb. The finish weight you should aim for would be around 11,000 lb. Keep the D-35 out back. You'll do the same thing the pros do. No danger at all. You sit on the side of the road waiting for parts!

I wonder about this whole TIV concept. Seems they're doing it wrong. Instead of starting with a light duty truck and bulking it up, why not start with an over the road tractor and cut it down? Or maybe one of those International SUVs they're marketing to rich idiots,...

That would probably be a much better idea, then you don't have to worry about anything breaking or being able to handle it. Plus you wouldn't have to deal with these dumb 6x6 contraptions. The only problem is that with a frame of that size, you already have a high center of gravity. It could be done.

Should be a good one tonight.

Edit: There is a yellow Wrangler JK X on the show in the scout group. Of course its a good one if it has a jeep in it.

Last edited:
i was watching some old episodes and i got a glimpse of an XJ chasing with the TIV

original post 3 weeks ago :D : Why be amateur? Just build the rig the same way the "professionals" build them. They start with a 5K lb truck and max out at 17,000 lb. So starting with a XJ; Call it 3700 lb. The finish weight you should aim for would be around 11,000 lb. Keep the D-35 out back. You'll do the same thing the pros do. No danger at all. You sit on the side of the road waiting for parts!
Damn I'm good! Anybody watch the episode on 11/8?
Wow, the tiv is pathetic offroad... Remind me to never wheel a 16k vehicle.
Looks like it's pretty pathetic ON road too. Oops, that's the TIV-2,... The new "improved" design.:conceited

Back