• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TOOLS - Need advice picking quality Electric Drill

i know what you mean about clamping the work down. you just never seem to make the time for it. as a safety i use my smaller drill press as long as the work fits on it. i can pretty much stop the drill with my hands, so if and when the bit jams it doesnt take me out. i just use a good sharp bit and it seems to work just fine. now with my milwaukee 1/2" hole shooter, that thing has ripped out of my hands plenty of times. if i have a large bit in it, i hold onto the motor super tight in fear. great little drill motors. i have a feeling i will be giving my brand new spare i have been holding for 8 years, to my 4 year old son when he is ready for his first drill. my other two just seem to go and go. i even have a really old one that has the hard wire cord in it instead of the quick connect. i couldnt tell you when i bought that thing. a good 25 years maybe?

It only really grabs the work right at the end, when the drill bit is punching through and can easily "screw in" and grab it instead of biting off little pieces at a time. I've learned to hold on extra tight and feed slowly and carefully toward the end.

the 'pull thru' is a result of drill bits, not drill motor.... I drill a lot of holes in window systems at work... so drill bits that are extra 'pully', i cant use.... leads to scratches in the aluminum, problems all around...

The worst, are cheap, home depot dewalt, and sometimes milwaukee drill bits (the ones in the cases). I know any bit can get out of control, but these ones specifically, you REALLY gotta pay attention to prevent it... good luck on a 3/8ths hole...

I have trouble with pulling the trigger to hard and spinng the bit to fast. I pretty much just weld the bit to what I'm drilling. I need to invest in a drill with an adjustable speed. Every time I screwup a good bit. I know it's my fault but I can't refrain. I need to find a good drill with a slow rpm speed. Now that I think about it what do you really need to drill to drill with a high rpm?

thats why many have recommended the milwaukee 1/2" hole shooter. it has a low rpm and is darn near bullet proof. mine have been dropped, thrown around in the dirt, oil soaked, used for hours till it was too hot to hold, ect, and it just keeps going.

I scored a 36v Dewalt drill/hammer drill with extra brand new battery. For a battery drill, it is almost scary. Damned things retail for over $500.

Back