• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TOOLS - Need advice picking quality Electric Drill

Jonner

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I've begun the serious search for a good corded-drill. Brands I'm looking at are probably Milwaukee or Dewalt.

For versatility I'm leaning towards a 3/8" and for reliability of use (and torque) I'm looking for a keyed chuck. I need a corded drill because I don't want to deal with cost and inconvenience charging batteries. I also am looking at 5.5 amps or more and I want it to last. Budget is probably $130 top end.

This drill will largely be used for drilling up to grade 8 rusted bolts (think: transmission crossmember bolts, shock bolts, and possibly leaf spring bolts that won't budge).

I have two main questions? I've seen 3/8" drills range anywhere from an 850 RPM max to 2800 RPM max. I'm unsure what my needs will be for predominantly hardened steel.

Also unsure if I need a 90 degree handle or just standard pistol grip?

This is my first real venture into fixing broken bolts (I've sheared one tranny crossmember bolt off so I'm invested in this approach).

Examples of what I'm browsing (probably in budget on Amazon):
---Worried about low Max RPM (1/2" might be overkill)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000223HF/ref=dp_olp_new_map?ie=UTF8&condition=new

---Made in China and $180
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MILWAUKEE-Pistol-Grip-Drill-6KW90?Pid=search

---Not keyed. Pricey at $155. 2500 rpm & pistol grip.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MILWAUKEE-Pistol-Grip-Drill-6KW93?Pid=search

---$145.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DEWALT-Pistol-Grip-Drill-4LF70?Pid=search

I love my 3/8 Milwaukee that I have had for years. The single biggest complaint I have with all off the shelf drills has to do with crappy chucks. They all pretty much use keyless chucks. After a while they simply don't grip tight enough and if the bit catches, it slips. Being a machinist, I grabbed a good keyless Jacobs chuck similar to what I use on the mill. While quite a bit larger, they grip when nothing else will.

I have no experience with newer Milwaukee tools. I hated my Milwaukee sawzall I had years ago and that turned me off of their tools. I have Dewalt now and dont have any issues.

I have a ~10 year old keyed, 1/2" dewalt and the thing has never let me down.

Great! It looks like I've been moving in the right direction. I was planning on getting a keyed chuck anyhow.

I still don't know what RPM I'm looking for. I see 0-600, 0-850, 0-1200 RPM commonly. If I'm drilling grade 8 bolts, both large and small, what would get the job done with no drama?

I'm thinking this is a great deal I should jump on:
$89 + shipping!

Amperage:8RPM:0 - 850Chuck Size:1/2-inChuck Type:KeyedVoltage:120VCord:8-ft FixedLength:12-13/64-inWeight:5.4 lbs.Shipping Weight:5.9 lbs.Max. Capacity - Wood (Auger):1-1/2-inMax. Capacity - Steel (Hole Saw):2-inMax. Capacity - Wood (Self-Feed):2-9/16-inGear Reduction:DoubleSpindle Size:1/2-in-20Handle Style:pistol-GripNo. of Batteries Included:Corded
milr0299-80.jpg

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory...drills&prefn1=voltage&prefv1=120 AC Only|120V

i havnt purchased a magnum hole shooter for quite a few years now, and theres is a good reason why. THEY ARE AWSOME. before i got hurt i was a builder (general contractor), and used/abused these drill motors big time. i still have every one of them. even a brand new one, still in the box, stuffed away in the shop. most of mine have the twist lock (detachable) cord which are nice because with time, you WILL need to replace a cord. but even the non twist lock cords are simple to replace. the drill has some serious torque so be careful. you will love that drill.
on a side note: in my (EX) buisness, the dewalts never lasted. things may have changed, but i will stay with Milwaukee. the only bad milwaukee i ever had was the "super sawzall". the changes they made from the regular sawzall seemed like a good idea, but they sucked. all my regular milwaukee sawzalls are still going strong.

Well, it's settled! After reading a lot of reviews and being overwhelmed by my choices about 5 times, I found a fantastic deal on EBAY. For anyone else in need of a quality corded drill, check this out. He still had 10 (now 9) when I ordered. I think I'll be very happy.

Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Drill 0234-6
Milwaukee_0234-6_Drill_motor.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-1-2-Magnum-Drill-0234-6-/180618673440?pt=Drills&hash=item2a0db63d20

Reviews:
http://zo-d.com/stuff/tool-reviews/milwaukee-magnum-12-drill-model-02346-review.html
http://www99.epinions.com/reviews/Milwaukee_1_2_Magnum_Hole_Shooter_0234_6

Thanks all for your help! ;)

i havnt purchased a magnum hole shooter for quite a few years now, and theres is a good reason why. THEY ARE AWSOME. before i got hurt i was a builder (general contractor), and used/abused these drill motors big time. i still have every one of them. even a brand new one, still in the box, stuffed away in the shop. most of mine have the twist lock (detachable) cord which are nice because with time, you WILL need to replace a cord. but even the non twist lock cords are simple to replace. the drill has some serious torque so be careful. you will love that drill.
on a side note: in my (EX) buisness, the dewalts never lasted. things may have changed, but i will stay with Milwaukee. the only bad milwaukee i ever had was the "super sawzall". the changes they made from the regular sawzall seemed like a good idea, but they sucked. all my regular milwaukee sawzalls are still going strong.

Good to hear! I'm stoked about this. Can you believe $95 and free shipping on a new in the box older unit? Someone else jump on this.

nice. the one pictured has the twist lock cord also, so thats a plus. those make it easy to store the drill in a box without having to fold the cord at the handle. thats how they crack in time and frey. just untwist the cord, coil it up and lay it over the drill. it will last for years. im sure you will be happy with it.

Geez,... talk about impulse buying. I just picked one up. I'm tired of both my 3/8" Dewalts with the chuck that you tighten by hand. They sometimes end up spinning and I always end up buying larger bits with the pared down shaft to fit the smaller chuck. Did I need it this minute? No. Do I need a 1/2" chuck for most household jobs? Never. How much torque is created when drilling into wood or drywall? None. But when you need a larger chuck that will actually grab the bit, that's what you need. See,.. I can justify it. lol

Hah! At least from everything I've heard I hope that it'll be the last drill you buy. At least that way it won't be such an impulse but more of an investment. Oh crap, that means I'm just giving you more excuses for your purchase.

I'll post back once I get it so other folks can jump on the deal if everything turns out well.

Well now I can give one of the Dewalts to my son. It's actually a very good drill with plenty of torque and has tackled everything I've thrown at it which is alot on the home improvement/repair front.

I'm really tempted on this, but the ebay price is so low compared to anyone else. That "it's too good to be true" alarm is hitting me. Why is he selling them for a good 40 bucks cheaper than anyone else.

Could be that they're out of production or that most people want battery power. The seller has a perfect record and I'm sure he doesn't want to jeopardize it. Maybe they fell off of a truck? I bought a brand new Northface fleece jacket on EBay with the tags still on for half of what it sells in retail stores. Could also be leftover stock from a store closing.

Last edited:
Yea, just strikes me as odd why someone would list them so cheap seeing other people with them for much higher. Maybe he thinks because they are old stock that they are less valuable. For me the old model is higher value because it was made in the USA where the new ones are now made in china....

I took the gamble though, if I am un-happy american express and paypal will make me happy ;) . For 95 bucks if it is what he says it is then I am golden, a drill has been on my list for a few years now ha. I've been hesitant on buying because I hear so many bad reviews with newer (china)drills and so many people talk about the (USA)drill they bought 10 years ago still gong strong.

I'm really tempted on this, but the ebay price is so low compared to anyone else. That "it's too good to be true" alarm is hitting me. Why is he selling them for a good 40 bucks cheaper than anyone else.

I had a little bit of that feeling but what yardape said was my reasoning too. He has a good track record, and I'm protected by ebay's protection program.

I'll be posting back up when I receive it so if whether it's good or bad I'll let everyone know. I did the something similar by doing a google search on "shopping" and it was the lowest price by at least $30.

The seller on Ebay made it pretty simple. They've been in storage for 2 years. They're American made. Not a Chinese knock-off. Its a drill,... not a scientific instrument. Just a little more complicated than a hammer. Even if it doesn't last till the end of time it won't be the end of the world. I think the chances are pretty good that this is a really good deal. That's why I went for it.

Back