• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To run Stock front Skid?

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
I am sick of taking my stock front skid on and off to work on stuff all the time. I think the only reason I was keeping it on was it sort of protects the drag link and keeps water out of the engine a bit. I also had to modify mine to work with my steering brace which makes is more of a pain to take on and off. What do people think.,,

I run mine and so far so good. Only had to bang it back into place once..haha. I feel a little better knowing it's down there..but I did take it off to put my trans cooler/temp gauge in..what a pain..I think it's worth it to keep it on..just for the sake of having another skid is always good in my mind. I figure the drag link and edge of the skid are in the same location so why hit the link when you can bash up the skid.. :)

take it off, weld some 1/8" x 1" angle to the back to stiffen it up, and put it back on.

I've bashed into all kinds of stuff with mine already and it's done a great job, I haven't even put the bolts along the front edge in yet.

Great for < 3" of lift, annoying to work on anything with any more lift.

Took mine off after a while as it just became annoying. Didn't really keep much of the water out.

Paint some pretty flowers on it, then the feeling of having something that cool will make you want to put it on back after taking it off. I've only had to take mine off once since owning it. And I like the insurance of knowing its there on the trails. I'd rather smack that than anything else under there.

Paint some pretty flowers on it, then the feeling of having something that cool will make you want to put it on back after taking it off. I've only had to take mine off once since owning it. And I like the insurance of knowing its there on the trails. I'd rather smack that than anything else under there.

yeah i hear you (other than the flowers), alot of people seem to think over a certian height its really not doing anything...

I was at 3" for a while, now I'm at 5.5" in the rear (soon 5.5" in the front) and I noticed it did help a lot. I'll still run mine just for that added insurance. I'd rather add 30lbs and use some touch up spray paint than replace steering components.

I think it helps to protect the alternator from mud...steering not so much...you can always use it to hold some rock lights and your license plate...

CIMG0005.jpg

This was at 4" with stock steering.

Didn't do anything to protect the steering and my alternator was still always covered in crap.

n41902041_30726273_8545.jpg

FWIW, I put in a ZJ 136A alternator from a quality local parts distributor and haven't had to touch it in over a year. And I wheel quite a bit.

or "NAXJA"... upside down :D

X2 on the teeth.

I cut 4 inches off the bottom of mine and used it to mount air horns.

if you dont want it I'll take it

because you F'd yours up, yeah right! haha

doesnt anyone else have a steering brace, that interferes with the mounting of the skid on the passenger side?

Back