• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Widths

Catch22

NAXJA Forum User
For a long time I wanted 12.50 width tires but the more I read I'm not sure that's very smart. The added weight, reduced traction in slick road conditions, cost, etc. I drive in the mud not on sand.

So other than looks what gain is there is having these?

although 12.50 or bigger are better offroad
Traction? If not whats the physics behind this? I understand that it helps if you try to drive "over" mud but that's only with high powered engines.

I 12.50 or bigger are better offroad

Please qualify this statement.....

While it is true that a wider tire will net you a better contact patch and more lateral stability when wheeling and provide more floatation, you have already touch on some of the negatives. Wider tires increase rolling resistance which requires more torque to spin, more brake to stop, increased steering input/load, increased stress on axle joints, etc and fender well clearance. If you've beefed up your axles, brakes and steering and have the appropriate lift and wheel backspacing, then these could be non-issues for you. If not, then you should factor in the overall impact that a jump to 12.50 width tires.

Last edited:
You must be considering 33s, because it seems to me like 32"- are very rarely available in 12.5, and 35"+ are very rarely available in narrower than 12.5?

Pick your diameter, pick your brand and style, and see how many width options you even have.

I had the option of 33/10.50 or 33/12.50 ended up going with the 12.50 I'm so glad I did! They look WAY better. I believe that the 10.50 would have looked goofy like pizza cutters and I use it as my daily driver. Just mount them on an 8" wide wheel and they aren't that wide

I have had 33x10.5x15 BFG ATs and 34x10.5x15 LTBs and I never had an issue off roading. After airing down the foot print on a 10.5" tire is going to be wide enough for any terrain. I enjoyed them aired up on the street for sure. Skinny tires definitely stuff nicely!

ai978-photobucket-com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_mobile_img_20101128_103440-jpg.102031

ai978-photobucket-com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_9b6406cc_e914c1d2a0310e1fdeaa086ef5e97bd2615-jpg.188540

People are right though, your options are very limited for a skinny tire.

Why do you think you would have reduced traction in slick conditions? I think the tire has more to do with that than the width. I had km2s which I thought were garbage, and now on same size duratracs which have more traction in all conditions. I use 285\75 16 which is a good comprise. Think its about a 33 11.5. Roughly.

wider tires compared to narrower ones equal less vehicle pounds per square inch of contact area. less traction. More flotation on slick surfaces. it no secret, skinny tires are greater than fat meats on the snow and rain

I had the option of 33/10.50 or 33/12.50 ended up going with the 12.50 I'm so glad I did! They look WAY better. I believe that the 10.50 would have looked goofy like pizza cutters and I use it as my daily driver. Just mount them on an 8" wide wheel and they aren't that wide

You are just a child, aren't you?

Narrow tires being better in slick conditions I believe could be attributed not to the tire directly, but to the greater pressure pushing through the slick surface to a better surface below. Whether that is through mud to a firm surface or through water to pavement, it's that lack of flotation that helps. Not that a 33x12.5 KM2 will really float on anything. However, as I alluded to earlier, if you want a 37" sticky Krawler, it is a 12.5. If you want a 35" Krawler, it will be a 13.5. If you want a 31" KM2, it will be a 10.5. How is tire width driving any sort of decision?

I know the idea behind skinnies, but I guess it really comes down to driving style, terrain and preference. What I meant was a 10.5 mud terrain isn't going to work well on snow pack and rain versus a wider well siped snow tire. IMO anyways.

Unless you wheel all the time just get a decent tire that you feel will look better but will also do what you want. I personally loved the look of my 33x10.5 KM2's on 7 inch wide wheels.

Back