• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire suggestions

hollywood32

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, my tax return is going to buy me new shoes for the jeep. I wanted to get local suggestions since we all wheel in the same places.

I am looking for 35's on 15" rims in probably a mud terrain since I do not daily drive my jeep and actually tow it most times so highway use is not a big consideration. I mostly wheel in JV, Glamis, Calico, Pismo, and Big Bear. I would also like to keep the price at or below a grand.

Ideas?

The KM2, and the new MTR seem to be popular choices these day's.

Would like to hear more opinions on them.

I'm running 35" MT/R Kevlars on a 15x8" rim. They are by FAR the best tires I have ever owned. I was shocked at how quiet and smooth they were compared to my old Maxxis Bighorns and BFG muds. They are also awesome on the rocks and sand and pretty good in snow and mud. Another thing I noticed was the lack of chunking. My BFG muds chunched horrible. I had entire pieces of tread missing. My Kevlars which have run all over big bear, the rubicon, bullfrog/cakewalk, calico, and some of the hammers still look new. Overall a great all around tire. My next vote goes to the Hankook Dynapro MT. I ran 33's of those on my Titan and really liked them. They have a nice tread pattern and got great traction on and offroad. They are also quite a bit less then the MTR kevlars. At least that was the case about 18 months ago. Good luck. For reference, I bought 4 35" Kevlars and 5 new black steelies mounted and balanced for $1,300. If you get rid of the rims they probably would have been right near a grand. The 4 33" Hankook Dynapro MT were just under $800 mount and balanced out the door. Pep boys is doing a buy 3 get one free on the Dynapro Mt's as well. Might want to look into that.

BFGs are not great in the rocks as they cut way too easily. I've cut a million of them and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy (except for Sequoia). I think I've been on a run where BFGs are not even allowed but that was a while ago. (big rock run)

MTRs are incredible on and off the road. They are quiet, easy to balance, incredible road manners and super high punture resistance (none of these attributes exist in the BFGs). My next 10 sets of offroad tires will be MTRs (for the MJ).

Last edited:
x2 on the MT/R's Kevlars, I bought the 33's about a month ago and they are really quiet on the road and do have good street manners compared to my old BFG's. They have not seen mud yet still (virgins but i have seen Bhicks in action on the muddy trail and they handle great. 33's and smaller have the white letters and 35's and up are blacked out.

I'm looking at trying some Kumho MT KL71s (I think that's the official name...), tey seem to run pretty cheap and have good reviews online. Don't have any first or second and experience though.

i prefer the round rubber ones!!!!!!!!! never had a prob with those. good luck bro

MT/R Kevlar, Discoverer STT, Destination M/T,.. Those Big O Bigfoot XTs look pretty tough too.

I was drooling over a set of Pit Bull rockers bias ply but damn they are expensive.

Looks like the MT/R Kevlars are the preferred tire.

Thanks for all your suggestions, hope to see you all out on the trail soon.

Good luck.

Come out to KOH with your new meats.

Back