• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for driving manual transmission?

Really, there is no hard and fast rule for how long it takes. How long until you can wheel it? As long as it takes until you're comfortable with it. How long will that be? You never know. I picked it up within the first day because I learned to drive in the same vehicle my Mom drove everyday, so I was used to watching her shift and just copied. She explained that the gas and clutch are like a see saw, as you let off the clutch you press on the gas. As you engage the clutch, you let off the gas. Other than that, the best advice is to drive it.

My tip for new clutchers is to practice driving SLOW. Like letting your clutch out and idling slow. Moving around in parking lots, stuff like that. Being smoother at a walking pace without slipping/burning the clutch is key, especially off road.

The other key thing to practice is starting from a stop when facing uphill. It's tricky to manipulate all three pedals at once, ultimately you'll get the feel of the clutch and it will get a lot easier, best to learn that point when there isn't a car right on your rear bumper.

Just as these guys have said, take it slow and practice practice practice. It will come to you, it will take time. X2 on keeping the radio, distractions as such to a minimum, 0, until you feel totaly comfortable with the shifting. Remember you are now activly driving your vehicle, you have three pedals and five plus motions your right arm must be making, as well as steering. All in all that is alot. Get the feeling of where your shifter is, when you shift it into neutral, IE if your in neutral, without looking can you hit the gear you will be looking for? Sometimes in wonky situations you will need to skip gears, be that up or down.
In my first manual I ended up blowing the top hose off my subie when I somehow managed to shift into 1 when I thought I was going into 5th! hahah alot of coolant steam and a few minutes of digging seat out of my pucker till I realized what happened.
Practice your downshifting, you have a manual for a reason. I hate driving with people that drive manuals but refuse to downshift, it never made any sense to me.
good luck, drive safe, enjoy.

Ok, well after reading a lot of responses it seems like down shifting is an effective way to slow down. At what point should I shift down? When I try to down shift, I can physically feel the car slowing down but then the rmps jump back up. I know its supposed to do that but it just doesn't feel right?

First time I drove a stick was 3am in los angelos 6 people in a new civic and I was the only sober one, didn't help the passenger punched out the windshield while I was driving, then I bought a 5 sp wrangler and stalled it during the test drive, shit happenp
To answer your questions, In my xj it was first gear to 15-20 mph, 2nd to 30, 3rd to 40 and then 4th and 5th when necessary, just went by ear

When downshifting, if you are going too fast for the chosen gear your tranny "shouldn't" let you do it, you'll feel it fighting you or Start to feel/hear it grinding

I lied first time with a standard was 3 wheel LEFT hand shifter utility cart at the golf course I worked at

Last edited:
Ok, well after reading a lot of responses it seems like down shifting is an effective way to slow down. At what point should I shift down? When I try to down shift, I can physically feel the car slowing down but then the rmps jump back up. I know its supposed to do that but it just doesn't feel right?

You need to give it some gas between gears to get the rpms up so you wont get that feeling any more. I know what your saying but idk how to type it out.

As for wheeling low gearing helps. Also get used to a ljttle roll back on some obstacals when stopping and starting again. Also a hand throttle can help. RE sells them for like 30$ or you could make your own.

Wheeling: driving your vehicle off-road.

As for getting used to the standard, it's even more fun when you have 2 vehicles, one manual, one auto. :D Nothing like getting in, trying to put it in neutral before starting, and looking for a clutch that isn't there.

Don't sweat it. You'll get smoother over time.

As for getting used to the standard, it's even more fun when you have 2 vehicles, one manual, one auto. :D Nothing like getting in, trying to put it in neutral before starting, and looking for a clutch that isn't there.

haha My jeep is auto and VW manual, it feels so strange not having to deal with a clutch... or trying to figure out why the vw won't start, because you haven't pushed the clutch in...

Try having two cars with identical cabins, one manual, one auto.

Back when I had my old Chief there were a few times I'd jump into the red Jeep and forcefully stomp my left foot on the floorboard when preparing to start the engine.

Try having two cars with identical cabins, one manual, one auto.

Back when I had my old Chief there were a few times I'd jump into the red Jeep and forcefully stomp my left foot on the floorboard when preparing to start the engine.
if I had a dollar for every time I've done this... :dunce:

50% of my vehicles are standards, 50% autos. I nearly go through the windshield every time I take the XJ for a drive for the first time in a few weeks because my big dumb foot always catches the brake pedal while trying to hit the clutch.

The really fun part is if you have two mt vehicles with different shift patterns. After driving my DD with a six speed, it always takes a second to remember where reverse is on the XJ

I've always just up shifted around 3000 rpm. But then, every stick I've driven has been a 4 banger. 94 Geo Tracker, 90 Samurai, 85 Nissan pickup, 96 Nissan Pickup. Although there was the 92 Trooper. Still shifted around 3000. Now, i manually shift my 73 Ford 390 at around 2700-3000.

The really fun part is if you have two mt vehicles with different shift patterns. After driving my DD with a six speed, it always takes a second to remember where reverse is on the XJ
I test drove a 05 Rubicon and couldn't for the life of me find reverse! I am so used to the VW R being under 1st...

I borrowed my friends sunfire and had never encountered a reverse safety. I guess you have to pull up on the shifter to get it into reverse. he never mentioned it. needless to say i had to push it out of my parking spot.

I am so used to the VW R being under 1st...
Well, first and reverse should be on the same shift rail. That's the proper position for it. Especially if you're off-road.

shift.jpg

:wow:

haha My jeep is auto and VW manual, it feels so strange not having to deal with a clutch... or trying to figure out why the vw won't start, because you haven't pushed the clutch in...

Pretty much anytime i drive my an automatic car i forget to put it in park lol, same thing but backwards from you

Back