• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking/Clicking Under Load

just throwing this out there, if it isnt the manafold, is it the secondary fan hitting the pulley? mine makes a clicking noise. dont over look the little things.

Thanks for all the advice and comments, Saturday evening i installed the replacement manifold and everything is back to normal.

The weird ticking apparently was form the ex manifold, as it was cracked in two diff areas. Even tho i am responsible for shipping the old part back, i am happy APN honored their lifetime warranty on these and replaced it.

Installation like before, wasn't too bad. The only thing i did differently this time was i used a mopar gasket from the dealer and i lightly sanded the mating parts and did not use RTV.

Thanks everyone,
Pete

Hey Jeepsrock, I just read thru your thread and I am glad that you found your problem. I am about to replace the exhaust system on my 97 and I am also going with an APN header. Should I go ahead and use the gasket they provided or should I use a dealer gasket or even a fel pro gasket?Other's reply too please. Thanks in advance. My ticking sound is from my cracked stock manifold in the typical spot. i can't wait till my new exhaust parts are in.

Truffle, The second time i did it i purchased a dealer gasket which was much better than the gasket it came with. I would suggest going that route, since the stock one lasted 10+ yrs for me, id rather stick to it.

As for the install, its pretty straight forward, let us know if you have any other questions.

Pete

Reviving this thread back from the dead as it sounds exactly like a problem I have developed over the last few weeks. I'm getting a clicking, only under load, and for the time being it seems only when the engine is hot and has been hot for a while. Here's a video from a few weeks ago at Uwharrie where I really started to hear it. You'll notice it towards the end after I back up and have to try again to keep going forward. Does this sound like the ticking/clicking you all have dealt with? I know my manifold is cracked in the usual place that they all crack....but it's really not cracked that bad (compared to my friend's 98 with about 30K more on it)...i'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's cracked elsewhere or the gasket is bad.

99, 4.0, 130K.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/99xjsport06/?action=view&current=MOV008.flv

hmm i'll see if I can get another one on my way to work this afternoon.

take a rubber hose while the engine idles and put on end of the hose to your ear and the other to the valve cover and listen to different area of the top of that engine like someone said the noises sound like they coming from somewhere but can be right in your face! i suspect a rockerarm maybe loose or maybe a push rod it happen to me after a head gasket job

Is the noise only while driving, only in park,when does it make the noise?

Is the noise only while driving, only in park,when does it make the noise?

As I mentioned before, only under load, and the only time I hear it is when the motor is good and hot (like after a trip on the highway or a lot of running around town)...pretty much the exact same symptoms as the OP...just trying to confirm if it is in fact the same noise he heard before I begin to gather parts.

I'm heading out the door to work till tonight...about a 10 mile commute..should start to do it when I get close to work, i'll try to take a better video.

That sounds like preignition to me. Try running some fuel cleaner or seafoam through the system to clean the carbon build up out of the combustion chambers.

Yeah for some reason it didn't do it yesterday (go figure)...I also had a thought of it being ignition related, and it has been a while since i've run any cleaner through it. I'll probably pick up a bottle at work tomorrow after give it a try.

Back