• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking/Clicking Under Load

Suggestions, Hmm? Turn the radio up or gets some ear plugs perhaps? I just play the radio when I get tired of listening to mine tick away, LOL.

Yeah, Eco that's what i have been doing lately, though to be honest its kind of bothering me. This is my primary car for work and the ticking seems to have gotten worse.
It seems i have tried all solutions and all the reading i have done points to things i have looked at.

Thanks,
Pete

what year?Oil pressure numbers???

edit:nevermind it's a 94.Does it do it with a warm motor?Maybe you are hearing the infamous 4.0 piston slap???

Oh and look at your crank pulley with the engine running: Does it wobble?Could be rubbing on the timing cover(another common 4.0 problem)

Last edited:
Ok guys, the ticking/clicking has gotten worse..Amazingly the jeep still drives great. I have tried a few more tank fulls of higher octane fuel and have ran another oil change with marvel mys oil, with no change.
I guess maybe i should take a finer look at the manifold gasket and manifold for cracks ? Any methods or particular ways i should do this other than visually ?

I need to take care of this as its driving me nuts..

Thanks
Pete

Have you tried a quart of Lucas oil additive yet. Mine runs about 80% quiter with Lucas, and I get 5 to 10 more PSI of oil pressure with it. Mine has 255,000 miles on it.

Have you used a stethoscope or a length of hose held up to your ear to isolate the sound?

Bent said:
Have you used a stethoscope or a length of hose held up to your ear to isolate the sound?

I did with mine originally, I isolated it to the front, middle and rear of the oil pan and the valve cover. :laugh3: The noise bounces around and reflects so much on mine we could not isolate it to one place.

I have put 30,000 miles on mine while it clicks and ticks away, but at least it is much quiter ticking and clicking since I added MMO and Lucas. The MMO helps with cleaning and unsticking the rockers and lifters, the Lucas cushions the contact points better, reducing the metalic clicking noise volume.

I need the MMO mostly in winter, and I am currently running just Lucas this summer, plus 20W50 Havoline, API SL grade. The temperature here is running beween 80 F min overnight , and 101 F max yesterday.

If it is a manifold leak the stethoscope should help locate it for sure. They are great for locating exhaust and vacuum leaks.

Excuse me for using your thread. I have a similar light ticking noise, but only in idle or when I hold the car on the brakes in reverse. If I put it in drive it is quiet. And to complicate it even further, this ticking comes and goes. It can be gone for days, the reappear. If I hit the gas and rev it up, the sound goes away. Could it be a sticky lifter? But why is it worse in reverse gear?

I just listened to the sound file, and it doesnt sound like exhaust or a bottom end noise, it sounds like a valvetrain noise to me. If I were you, I'd take off the valve cover and take a look see with the engine running. You might see a loose rocker arm or see a valve not opening all the way or somethin crazy.

let us know how it goes.

wow man i am in the same exact boat...

87 xj 2dr 4.0 w/ 5spd ax5 or ax15?...

that stupid annoyin tick is getting worse and worse, it started after a lil premature jeepspeed practicing ha ha i dropped the clutch and its been doin it ever since.

i does it in gear the more you accelerate the worse it gets, i disengage the clutch and rev the engine and it goes away wtf! lol the previous owner installed a brand new clutch kit from napa about 5k miles ago.

i thought maybe throwout bearing, main tranny input bearing? i dunno its my daily driver and i dont have the time to take it apart myself unless i know exactly what it is and shops want six hundred to take it apart and look...

what do i do?! please some one come up with the answer for both of us

Well guys it seems the most popular suggestion has been either another cracked manifold or a messed up gasket.
So i have purchased a replacement gasket from the dealer, by removing it i will have time to look at it closely and reinstall with the dealer gasket.

Anyone have any suggestions on the gasket toppings, spray, rtv ?

Pete

For those who are interested in knowing today the APN header came off for a checkup to investigate the header itself and gasket...

Guess what the APN header is cracked in two places hairline, i am going to guess that's the cause of the annoying noises i have been hearing. I will call APN tomorrow regarding the warranty.

PEte

Well guys it seems the most popular suggestion has been either another cracked manifold or a messed up gasket.
So i have purchased a replacement gasket from the dealer, by removing it i will have time to look at it closely and reinstall with the dealer gasket.

Anyone have any suggestions on the gasket toppings, spray, rtv ?

Pete

Very thin coat of copper high temp RTV.

Also make sure the head and header are flat and parallel, no more than about .010 gap anywhere between the gasket sealing surfaces!!!! Otherwise you end up with stresses from the mounting / clamping points.
I recently used copper flashing, .015 thick on top ov the gasket for the middle two ports one to get a better seal.

I called APN regarding the cracked manifold and they said they would ground ship me a replacement.
Once i receive the replacement its up to me to send the cracked one back.

Hopefully it comes in by the end of the week and its indeed the cause of my ticks..lol

Pete

make sure your entire exhaust system is supported with the proper hangers. I know these things are good at cracking manifolds, but you don't want to give it any more help than you have to.

Back