• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on Lunchbox Locker on D30 with 35s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spartan used to have the 32" limitation for warranty, that's why I went with an aussie.
I guess they figured out not many people buy lockers for rigs with small tires, and removed the 32" part

Where did you read this? I have never seen USA Standard say that about a spartan. I know there are other lockers that say stuff like that about thier lockers, but not spartan.

They warranty any issues no matter what size tire.

Spartan used to have the 32" limitation for warranty, that's why I went with an aussie.
I guess they figured out not many people buy lockers for rigs with small tires, and removed the 32" part

They still do, The second question they asked me was what tire size i was running when i "Thought" my Locker was bad (turns out it was a Tcase chain issue)

32" tire is the maximum tire size. Just call randys:dunno:

They still do, The second question they asked me was what tire size i was running when i "Thought" my Locker was bad (turns out it was a Tcase chain issue)

32" tire is the maximum tire size. Just call randys:dunno:

I have returned 3 in the last year for customers. 2 turned out just fine, but replaced all the same just because of the Great service, and the other one was deemed defective and replaced. Not once did they ask me or tell me to ask my customer, what size tires.

I sell over a 1/4 million $ of Yukon and USA standard product a year. SO I sling plenty of thier product. I think I am what you would call a expert on thier stuff. Enough so, that they ask me to man, and display thier products at Major events in the southern cali area. And Never once have I been told or even read anything about a tire limit on ANY Yukon locker or Spartan locker.

Just saying. Maybe the tire size question was to clear the most common issue with a insert locker. 5psi air difference, different brand tires, or even one newer tire on one side and a older tire on the other, can create odd locking and unlocking and popping while driving. And with the XJ crowd, and the insert locker budgeted crowd within that XJ crowd, its very common to have one of those tire qustions, answered, and that answer is the issue they are having. Not the locker.

EDIT...
I have heard people saying there was something posted here or there about tire size. I just never have read it direct from USA standard, or in thier literature.

Last edited:
Robert, not doubting your credibility, but you may want to pass along that the 32" tire limitation, even if not implemented, does make some of us less educated folks think that the spartan is weaker. This may or (likely)is not the case, but having it at all makes it seem as though they dont believe in their product.

Robert, not doubting your credibility, but you may want to pass along that the 32" tire limitation, even if not implemented, does make some of us less educated folks think that the spartan is weaker. This may or (likely)is not the case, but having it at all makes it seem as though they dont believe in their product.

Why would I want to say something like that when its not the case?

Should I tell people that a arb for a dana 35 is only recommended up to a 33" tire?

USA Standard does Not have a limit set, either in print or by recommendation to thier dealers. SO why would I go telling something like that???

Ok it looks as though USA figured it out, and no longer says anything about tire size.
Randys "reccomends" 32" or smaller tires.

If someone called to order an ARB and a super 35 kit, would you say anything to disseuede them?

if you go to this site: http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/SpartanLocker.aspx it says:

The Spartan Locker is a mechanical locking unit which installs into a standard carrier, replacing the open spider gears. The design of the Spartan Locker makes it easier and quicker to install than other drop-in locker designs. Spartan lockers use high-Nickel 9310 Chrome-Moly drivers and couplers for added strength. These units provide affordable traction and easy installation. Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32".

if you go to this site: http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/SpartanLocker.aspx it says:

The Spartan Locker is a mechanical locking unit which installs into a standard carrier, replacing the open spider gears. The design of the Spartan Locker makes it easier and quicker to install than other drop-in locker designs. Spartan lockers use high-Nickel 9310 Chrome-Moly drivers and couplers for added strength. These units provide affordable traction and easy installation. Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32".

SO if you are buying say a computer, and the retailer tells you that its only good for internet browsing. Yet the manufacture, says its good for all your daily needs. Who is the correct source?

If someone called to order an ARB and a super 35 kit, would you say anything to disseuede them?

If they had a XJ on 33" tires. And it was a family rig that they took to the beach, to mines off of fire roads, etc. YES I would would recomend.

If it was someone that wanted to go out and was hard on it, maybe not...

Its all about qualifing the customers needs. Been doing that since 1987. You dont sell what you want to, you get the customer what they need. And if they dont want to buy what they need, then you make sure they know that, even though something else May work, its not the best choice. SO at least we both know...

I have several friends with LP30's all but one are 4.56, he is 4.88. All run lunchbox up front with 35's and 37's. They dont run any hard stuff. Mostly mild/average trails (6/7 out of 10) and they are easy on their rigs. Only ONE in the past year has broken a STOCK shaft/ujoint. Its all in how you drive.

This is true I ran the crap out of one on a HP30 for 3 years never had any problems with it, after 3 years I had a shaft brake at the ear, welded caps on the shaft haven't had issues since with 33s
As for lp30 I'm running 38s and haven't been too nice to it but its stock w/3.73s
It's all about the user and the terrain

SO if you are buying say a computer, and the retailer tells you that its only good for internet browsing. Yet the manufacture, says its good for all your daily needs. Who is the correct source?

I would listen more to the manufacturer, but I'd take into mind what the retailer has recommended as well.

In the end for me now, sounds like build up a 44 or find a HP30 to build up..

You do know Randy's owns USA standard, Sierra and several other gear company names other then Yukon? I also noticed your Craigslist postings in Portland Oregon. Where you state that Spartan lockers are made in USA which they in fact are not they are assembled in the US. From what I was told by a pretty reputable source that knows Randy personally. Yukon gears are made in India and shipped then quality checked in Washington. Anything that don't make Yukon quality gets re-boxed in USA or one of the other brand names and sold. They even sell them off to other gear company's that I will not mention who.

You do know Randy's owns USA standard, Sierra and several other gear company names other then Yukon? I also noticed your Craigslist postings in Portland Oregon. Where you state that Spartan lockers are made in USA which they in fact are not they are assembled in the US. From what I was told by a pretty reputable source that knows Randy personally. Yukon gears are made in India and shipped then quality checked in Washington. Anything that don't make Yukon quality gets re-boxed in USA or one of the other brand names and sold. They even sell them off to other gear company's that I will not mention who.

Ok so another person that is spewing BS...

Randy Does NOT own Sierra, or Several other companys.

Randy Owns Randys ring and pinion as his retail outlet for the other two companies he owns, Yukon and USA Standard. Yes he did also, buy Warn drivetrainn division, but used thier engineering and manufacture drawings, and remaining product. Then brought the Yukon counter parts up to that grade if they were not already, then disolved those items under the warn or YHC in production.

Randy and his personel, in the past have not done much in the way of advertisinng for Yukon under the Yukon name or the USA Standard name. He advertised mostly under his RRP, or Randys name and in the last year has really dedicated his part sales thru the wholesale side and thier retailers, such as myself.

Your repitable source is tellinng you BS I bet. Or your intrepreting it all wrong.

I KNOW 100% without a doubt that the spartan are mostly manufactured (side gear, coupler, and spacers, all the hard parts) in the USA and the small pins and springs and the cross shaft is global imported. Just like DANA Gears being Made in the USA, yet the gears are made in S Korea and the Timken bearings they include are USA manufactured. SO since the rules/laws state that only like 30% of the product has to be made in the USA to be called "Made in the USA" they are able to make the claim, Made in the USA. But I promise you ALL Yukon lockers, And Spartans are Assembled also, in Washington by red blooded Americans!

At least ALL the hard parts on the Spartan ARE manufatured and HARDENED in Oregon!

Next gears.. Again your lost and spewing BS.. Randy imports about 75-80% of his gears from factorys in S Korea, where ALL good gears come from. And even better yet, he has Randys Ring and Pinion Personel, on site in S Korea, over seeinng ALL the final products and day to day manufacturing. WHO else does that?? Not even Dana!

And again your spewinng BS with the defects in USA Stantard boxes.

Its almost the opposite, in a way. RRP over sees the exports at the factory, then when they get to Washington, recieved. They box them in USA standard boxes, OR they send them off to QC and check AGAIN the final product (Something NO OTHER GEAR COMPANY DOES STATESIDE!) and if they are not perfect, but oonly slightly off, meaning a bit more setup needed and they will be fine, then the rest or the whole batch goes inn USA Standard Boxes. BUT If they are same quality OR BETTER then what Dana would except or Ford, etc, then they go inn Yukon Boxes, and you get a 2 yr warranty.

So IS there any difference beteen a USA Standard Gear set or a Nitro gear set, no... Between a USA S and a Motive, No... Between a USA S and a Superior, YES SUperior imports mostly from China, a sub par factory...

So People, please understand that BoringDave, wants to feel important by postinng BAD info and is lost....

Ok so another person that is spewing BS...

Randy Does NOT own Sierra, or Several other companys.

Randy Owns Randys ring and pinion as his retail outlet for the other two companies he owns, Yukon and USA Standard. Yes he did also, buy Warn drivetrainn division, but used thier engineering and manufacture drawings, and remaining product. Then brought the Yukon counter parts up to that grade if they were not already, then disolved those items under the warn or YHC in production.

Randy and his personel, in the past have not done much in the way of advertisinng for Yukon under the Yukon name or the USA Standard name. He advertised mostly under his RRP, or Randys name and in the last year has really dedicated his part sales thru the wholesale side and thier retailers, such as myself.

Your repitable source is tellinng you BS I bet. Or your intrepreting it all wrong.

I KNOW 100% without a doubt that the spartan are mostly manufactured (side gear, coupler, and spacers, all the hard parts) in the USA and the small pins and springs and the cross shaft is global imported. Just like DANA Gears being Made in the USA, yet the gears are made in S Korea and the Timken bearings they include are USA manufactured. SO since the rules/laws state that only like 30% of the product has to be made in the USA to be called "Made in the USA" they are able to make the claim, Made in the USA. But I promise you ALL Yukon lockers, And Spartans are Assembled also, in Washington by red blooded Americans!

At least ALL the hard parts on the Spartan ARE manufatured and HARDENED in Oregon!

Next gears.. Again your lost and spewing BS.. Randy imports about 75-80% of his gears from factorys in S Korea, where ALL good gears come from. And even better yet, he has Randys Ring and Pinion Personel, on site in S Korea, over seeinng ALL the final products and day to day manufacturing. WHO else does that?? Not even Dana!

And again your spewinng BS with the defects in USA Stantard boxes.

Its almost the opposite, in a way. RRP over sees the exports at the factory, then when they get to Washington, recieved. They box them in USA standard boxes, OR they send them off to QC and check AGAIN the final product (Something NO OTHER GEAR COMPANY DOES STATESIDE!) and if they are not perfect, but oonly slightly off, meaning a bit more setup needed and they will be fine, then the rest or the whole batch goes inn USA Standard Boxes. BUT If they are same quality OR BETTER then what Dana would except or Ford, etc, then they go inn Yukon Boxes, and you get a 2 yr warranty.

So IS there any difference beteen a USA Standard Gear set or a Nitro gear set, no... Between a USA S and a Motive, No... Between a USA S and a Superior, YES SUperior imports mostly from China, a sub par factory...

So People, please understand that BoringDave, wants to feel important by postinng BAD info and is lost....
Thanks for the red part.. It's interesting to read..

the purple part, is rude.. and the reason your not a business on naxja anymore.

:thumbup:

if superior imports from china and has a sub-par factory, then why do they have the best reputation?

not trying to be inflammatory, but I was considering superior shafts for my 8.25, so I am curious.

the purple part, is rude.. and the reason your not a business on naxja anymore.

:thumbup:

I disagree, boring dave clearly posted incorrect information, that could be considered hearsay at best.

I thought he was rather civil.

All I was trying to state here is you told them that there was nothing about 32" tires. I have seen it several times before and I believe it was also on USA standards site at one time. I've owned a Spartan, Did I ever use it? No. Because after I bought it then realized I made a bad choice if I'm going to run 35"+ tires on a polished turd. I see where your within your rights to advertise made in USA but it's still not right. I will talk to my source and see what's up. Maybe he is blowing smoke up my ass or what.

All I was trying to state here is you told them that there was nothing about 32" tires. I have seen it several times before and I believe it was also on USA standards site at one time. I've owned a Spartan, Did I ever use it? No. Because after I bought it then realized I made a bad choice if I'm going to run 35"+ tires on a polished turd. I see where your within your rights to advertise made in USA but it's still not right. I will talk to my source and see what's up. Maybe he is blowing smoke up my ass or what.

is there anything that is made 100% in america anymore?

nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back