• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those of you without stock Airboxes...

I have a '92 and have looked high and low at Advance, O'Reilly's and AutoZone for something to replace the line from the air filter box to the valve cover with a similar filter. I have read where members have replaced the grommet going into the cover but, my 90* elbow and grommet requires it to be turned 90* to be removed. My grommet and 90* angled PCV tube are intact. A simple round grommet will not seal tight with the tabs on the valve cover. What is this old man missing here?

TIA, Reed

Chero-King,

You must replicate the hose connections. If the line was connected to the ambient air side of the filter in the OEM box connect the line to breath fresh clean air underhood; not behind the filter.

However, if the line is on the clean air side of the filter you'll need to connect it to the tube downstream of your filter.

Rick

I also had a question on this matter. I have a '90 RENIX
The pictures below show my set-up:
http://i13.tinypic.com/4kv9bgo.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/4msn0id.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4mkjv4x.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/4mvagj4.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/6ga3o82.jpg

As you can see i blocked the vacuum line with a screw that previously went to the "Bi-Metal Temp Sensor" that is inside the factory airbox. From there it runs to the front of the factory air box to the vacuum motor. When the factory airbox is gone, that last peice isnt in the equation anymore. But as far as that vacuum line that is now blocked with a screw, is this what you guys have done? If not what have you done to yours. Im not noticing a "serious" problem doing it this way, i just want to make sure i am doing it properly. If there even is such a thing in this scenario...

Thanks for your time.

I built mine from 3" id Exhaust pipe and a 1/2" heater hose nipple from NAPA.
The older XJ's have 2 additional lines the newer have only 1.
The exhaust tube was cheap went to local exhaust shop and got it from there scrap, sold it to me cheap. Using a Ractive filter from Pepboys.
2468595_93_full.jpg

2468595_92_full.jpg

Muad'Dib said:
Any comments on my post above? Post #24... thanks.

Don't think it would hurt anything.

xjjeepthing said:
I built mine from 3" id Exhaust pipe and a 1/2" heater hose nipple from NAPA.
The older XJ's have 2 additional lines the newer have only 1.
The exhaust tube was cheap went to local exhaust shop and got it from there scrap, sold it to me cheap. Using a Ractive filter from Pepboys.
2468595_93_full.jpg

2468595_92_full.jpg
Now you need to finish it up. Go to the grocery store and buy a 2.5 galon jug of water. The kind thats made to slide in the fridge and has the pull spout. Drain the water and cut one end off. Cut a 3" hole in the other end and slide it on your 3" pipe. Put the filter on so now the filter is in the jug. The open end of the jug will suck cold air from the oem opening and the space next to the radiator while blocking hot air to the filter. Don't laugh it works and you can feel a difference. I thought about taking measurments and buying the right size plastic office trash can but the $2.00 water jug is just too cool and fit perfect.

Im thinking of building a heat sheild out those white poly cutting boards. A jig saw and some good epoxy , I think it will work.
poly1.jpg

xjjeepthing said:
Im thinking of building a heat sheild out those white poly cutting boards. A jig saw and some good epoxy , I think it will work.
poly1.jpg

Remember what happened to mine at the Sod Busters property, xjjeepthing. My fan kept pushing my heat sheld into my air filter cone and the air filter crushed because it sucked in result a huge loss of power.

Stumpalump said:
Now you need to finish it up. Go to the grocery store and buy a 2.5 galon jug of water. The kind thats made to slide in the fridge and has the pull spout. Drain the water and cut one end off. Cut a 3" hole in the other end and slide it on your 3" pipe. Put the filter on so now the filter is in the jug. The open end of the jug will suck cold air from the oem opening and the space next to the radiator while blocking hot air to the filter. Don't laugh it works and you can feel a difference. I thought about taking measurments and buying the right size plastic office trash can but the $2.00 water jug is just too cool and fit perfect.

i made one w/ zip ties and road signs. u can feel a tiny difference. i run about 100-200 rpms lower @ 65mph.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

i have since filled in the hole right before the filter w/ cardboard wraped in tin foil. it is a piece of afro engineering i kno.

Heat shield is good but (IMO) your better off getting the heat out of the engine compartment before the cone can suck it up. This would also aid in over all engine and cabin cooling.
Hood vents or lifting the back of the hood are common ways of doing this. Vents have been well covered.
For offing I like the stock air box and filter. But the box can be fitted with a cone and on the 01 can be easly vented to air in front of the grill. But be carefull of deep water crossing if you do vent. The hole in the box is often open up. The hole should be able to pass a lot more air then the throttle body so I leave mine alone.

Last edited:
badron said:
Heat shield is good but (IMO) your better off getting the heat out of the engine compartment before the cone can suck it up. This would also aid in over all engine and cabin cooling.
Hood vents or lifting the back of the hood are common ways of doing this. Vents have been well covered.
For offing I like the stock air box and filter. But the box can be fitted with a cone and on the 01 can be easly vented to air in front of the grill. But be carefull of deep water crossing if you do vent. The hole in the box is often open up. The hole should be able to pass a lot more air then the throttle body so I leave mine alone.
I'm thinking about finding some castoff from the 70's van craze who still does louvers...not three billion all over the hood just a small section of louvered metal.

Back