• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$24 4.0l ccv breather “upgrade”

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
Something bugs me about having a vac line running from the intake box to the valve cover. So, research and more research, lots of spending money plus trial an error yields off the shelf aftermarket results. Plus, this will allow me to install a cold air intake pipe without needing to run extra vac lines, should keep oilbout the airbox and lowr oil consumption (In theory. YMMV)

Reading somewhere that the port size in the valve cover is similar to SBC, and that the push in style breather filters fit, off to the parts store i went. I’ve seen people use the cheap mini cotton gauze cone filters, they look retarded and unrefined

Spectre 4000 no go. Another Spectre product, no go. 3rd spectre filter fit the hole in the cover but couldnt close the hood.

4th time is a charm: Edelbrock Signature Series 4405 breather fit perfect, using a factory grommet. Dorman 42344 is the grommet i used to replace mopar one. Thicker grommet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the filtered air "intake" to the PCV system with the vacuum side being on the rear of the valve cover. You shouldn't see any oil from there into the air filter.

Also the factory elbow is metered, how will you compensate for that?

Also the factory elbow is metered, how will you compensate for that?

🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️

So far seems to be working ok. If i run into an issue with metering, spectre and Edelbrock make a push in breather with a nipple up top i can connect to the intake. I honestly dont expect it to be an issue though, when you look at how simple the CCV/PCV design is on these motors

To clarify, im talking aboot the CCV at the front of the valve cover. Not the PCV at the firewall. All it does is function as a fresh air inlet for the case. Wide open port, no metering.

I didnt have an oily air filter prior to this, i did it as a solution to a problem i created by installing an aFe intake ;) i could do without the added chrome in a dirty engine bay, but whatever 🤣

They do come in black - 4403.

Described as "traditional" - too right, the oil filler cap on my '55 Ford was just like that.

Well, if that's progress, I'm all for it.

I like traditional ;) its a motor thats been around since the 50s. Proven design that chysler had to muck with lol

If the port is already there on the AFE set-up why would you not use it?

Btw, the AFE is only good if you use their air box, otherwise it's just another "hot air intake system"!

Btw, the AFE is only good if you use their air box, otherwise it's just another "hot air intake system"!

If the port is already there on the AFE set-up why would you not use it?

I thought about that but would have had to extend the wiring for the plug. I’d rather not cut and splice 20+ year old wiring under the hood if i dont have to. Wasnt hard to drill a hole and install the rubber grommet, that was in the hacked off section of the pipe, for the sensor to screw into 🤷🏼*♂️ it works, quick and dirty. If i ever decide to have the exhaust shop bend a proper one piece pipe, i’ll use this for the template.

Final assembly uses a 90* silicone 3”-2.5” reducer elbow for the stock TB, 3” coupler, and the 3” filter adapter. 31/32” od. 1/2” id grommet for charge temp sensor

I’ll build a new airbox around this once i find someone who can use the aFe shield on a 3.x liter cherokee/renegade etc. my stock airbox came out in aboot 10 pieces 😅 front 2 bolts siezed in the rubber mounts so brute force was required

I should note too, the zj hd fan clutch moves A LOT of air under the hood of this jeep ;) before summer i’ll have to install a shield/box around the filter, but with the cold setting in here shes running like Michael Vick from animal control 🤣

👍🏻👍🏻

One more noteworthy thing: the aFe intake pipe is 3” aluminum tubing coated in rhinoliner (or equivalent). The whole kit really isnt worth $300 retail that amazon charges for it. The sheet metal shield is about the best thing in the kit

You're not doing yourself any favors with that intake system. Its going to suck in way more hot air than the factory intake, and the metal pipe will transfer more heat to the air flowing inside of it. You're better off using a stock airbox.

The only aspect of the stock airbox that might be reducing airflow is the ribbed hose between the airbox and throttle body. There are aftermarket silicon versions of that. I suppose that you could also look into a high flow panel filter for the stock airbox, but there is typically a trade-off between how well an air filter breathes and how much dirt it catches. Another thing that can be done with the stock airbox is to add foam around the intake hole in the airbox to block hot engine bay air and encourage outside air to enter. Can also insulate the stock airbox.

🤷🏼*♂️ it was a fun project. I know the benefits vs the risks, its not my first “cold” air intake on a vehicle

It definitely wakes up the engine growl, and first impression is that it made a difference in throttle response. That could also be placebo effect or a combination of mods (stainless header, 4 hole injectors, brand new ignition system, brand new fuel pump, etc)

I'm still wondering why the small filter?

Your also going to have PCM fuel mapping issues by moving the IAT to a much cooler airflow location and on the opposite side of the TB.

Your also going to have PCM fuel mapping issues by moving the IAT to a much cooler airflow location and on the opposite side of the TB.

Seems ok so far. We’ll see long term. I did it with a new sensor, so its easily undone by plugging the old sensor back in

Back