• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This disgusts me!

XJ Dreamin' said:
Turns out there should be no surprise that this guy flipped out - there was plenty of warning. He maintained a presence on the web and his writings for class were apparently very ominous. His problem wasn't being Korean, it was suffering from depression.

Two things though: 1) Not one media automaton on the tube has even mentioned his parents - not even just a "Declined to be interviewed" - just nothing. 2) I am sure (and my memory is none too dependable, as my wife can attest) but every classroom I entered at UMC had a lock on the door. Anybody here at, or been to UMC? Did the classrooms lock?

Doorlocks don't do squat when you're too freaked out to use them.

XJ Dreamin' said:
Turns out there should be no surprise that this guy flipped out - there was plenty of warning. He maintained a presence on the web and his writings for class were apparently very ominous. His problem wasn't being Korean, it was suffering from depression.

Two things though: 1) Not one media automaton on the tube has even mentioned his parents - not even just a "Declined to be interviewed" - just nothing. 2) I am sure (and my memory is none too dependable, as my wife can attest) but every classroom I entered at UMC had a lock on the door. Anybody here at, or been to UMC? Did the classrooms lock?

His parents do dry cleaning, they put his sister through Princeton.

bjoehandley said:
Doorlocks don't do squat when you're too freaked out to use them.

Too true.

well, if there is a response via racial stereotyping against koreans , the perpetrators of this action are no better than the guy who went out and shot up all the people. like after 911 people were jumping up and down about middle eastern folks in general and even put all middle eastern people in one category, muslims as a whole, those people also had to fight backlash after the 9/11 tragedy.

i think that catches people's eye the most is the fact that this shooting took out so many people.

i think the whole thing is tragic with all the people killed. the family of the shooter as well.

i think there are a lot of mental issues that go untreated and with the stress levels increasing you are only going to see more and more of this type of activity.

its sad to say but this is going to be more common as the years pass by.

the term "going postal" almost sounds less intimidating now after something like this.

XJ Dreamin' said:

A lot of the doors in academic rooms don't lock...there's no need, USUALLY. they said that on the news a lot. 2...even if they do lock, the shooter can either shoot the door knob out or kick it in, etc.

On a side note, I heard someone say that Librescu wasn't being smart or something along those lines...I can't believe he said that. That is what makes me sick...along with a lot of other things surrounding this shooting

muddinxj04 said:
A lot of the doors in academic rooms don't lock...there's no need, USUALLY. they said that on the news a lot. 2...even if they do lock, the shooter can either shoot the door knob out or kick it in, etc.

On a side note, I heard someone say that Librescu wasn't being smart or something along those lines...I can't believe he said that. That is what makes me sick...along with a lot of other things surrounding this shooting

Who's the "expert" they talked to on that first little nugget of info?

I guess Librescu really wasn't being smart if somebody wants to put it that way, but he was trying to protect his students, which to me would make him a hero in my book.:dunno:

I haven't done much for college classes since I got out of high school, but the doors at the local community college as well as the HS, Jr High, and grade school I went to all had locks on the doors. The HS even had teachers that would lock the doors so if you tried sneaking in late, or if the somewhat untrustworthy principal decided to visit (now that I think of that) , somebody would have to let them in. we also had some fairly heavy doors too.

muddinxj04 said:
even if they do lock, the shooter can either shoot the door knob out or kick it in, etc.

So you've done this?

To heavy industrial doors too?

You've been watching too many movies.

the "expert" is me, I attend tech and know of only one of the doors that lock. Yes, I am in only my second semester, but I have been into many rooms and not a lot of them do no lock. And yes, my high school also had locks on their doors. :dunno:

Sequoia, I may have watched too many movies, but it makes sense, and a lot of the doors aren't "industrial" they're wooden, yes some may be thick. But a school isn't going to spend a whole bunch of money on heavy metal doors, there's really no need, until something like this happens. But, bringing it back to your comment, true, i may have been watching too many movies, and no, i have never shot at a door.

Back