• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of and EXO

i like that. I was thinking of something not so much on the roof but the sides. I am still trying to figure out how I would make that work and still be strong. Maybe trim the doors a bit and weld it somewhere in there.

Run a search for "Hybrid" in advanced fab. You should find a thread with 2xtreme's and my Jeep in it. It has plenty of pictures to give you some ideas. It's the same basic design as the one in Matt's picture. There are several of us running it now with great results.

I used 1-1/4" tube that's 0.120 wall and tucked it in tight... Main goal was hitting trees and going...

Internal brace is tied to large plates welded in floor...

potosi1.JPG

xjexo24.JPG

Run a search for "Hybrid" in advanced fab. You should find a thread with 2xtreme's and my Jeep in it. It has plenty of pictures to give you some ideas. It's the same basic design as the one in Scott's picture of Matt's Jeep. There are several of us running it now with great results.

Fixed. :cheers:

~Scott

EXO Cages are legal in most states. However any major alteration to a vehicle could cause you to get sued if it were to kill, hurt, or cause an accident. Most of us geradge fabricator's could not build a EXO that could with stand a freeway accident. It would be really nasty to see DOM punched through some ones head. I think EXO's are cool for the rocks and trails but could be very dangerous on the roads. I was thinking about doing one myself but I looked back in my past dessert races and remember seeing trophy trucks that fell apart in high speed roll overs and those guys are professional in every way and fully protected. If you want to see how DOM holds up in high speed roll overs go to a few trophy truck races.

What do you mean Hungry?

Awsome. Ya I am training to hopfully race in Navada two years from now. 200 miles of haulin ass. I just need about $15,000 so I can by a KTM 505 EXC and other stuff hopefully I can score some sponser's but with the economy I doubt it. The dessert is awsome. Its a feeling.

Guess it sucks ass if you can still open your door after a flop? At least for us people that aren't THAT hardcore :spin1:

There are just too many ugly, poor designed ones out there.

I would have to agree with you on that point for sure... The exo's that have a 4" gap between tube & body panel do look like $hit.
I never really liked them either and when i started on my cage the plan wasnt for a full exo.... Just ended up that way.
So far im pretty happy with mine, there have been many more positive things about having it than negative so far. Its great to be able to take a line and use your side bars to slide along. Where other guys get hung on doors or their roof line. Very occasionally the extra width has caused me to have take a slightly different line than something thats narrower than me.

For example of the positive stuff...

Here is my rig and my buddy Rick on the same line we both drove out of....

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_4836.jpg

I ended up with some scratches on my roof, A pillar and front fender bars...
He ended up with this........

IMG_4837.jpg

Back