• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to get done before Winterfest

RedHeep said:
Is that the one we fixed or the stock one?
the one we fixed, bolt broke off right at the frame.
Probably because I'm overextending the shocks. I'm going to lower my upper shock mount, then bumpstop so I don't over compress them.
I'll use grade 5 or 8 bolts this time.
I'm just going to lower them about 2 inches, they're really short, I felt them overextend when I hit a pothole.

87manche said:
the one we fixed, bolt broke off right at the frame.
Probably because I'm overextending the shocks. I'm going to lower my upper shock mount, then bumpstop so I don't over compress them.
I'll use grade 5 or 8 bolts this time.
I'm just going to lower them about 2 inches, they're really short, I felt them overextend when I hit a pothole.

That rear suspension is working with those new shackles. You might still want to consider a set of $15 shock mounts welded halfway up the tube. That would give you your 2 inches and hold you over till the axle swap.

Got the old front axle out, 215K miles and the balljoints, bearings and gears are still pretty tight. Gotta swap arms after lunch and put the new axle in the front with the 4.5 RE springs.

APN header is on. :yelclap: :yelclap:

Wheeew. I was really dreading putting it on. Went smoooooth as a baby's rear.
Couldn't believe it. I was really surprised how gunky the intake was, lots o carbon buildup. Next up is radiator install (current one leaks) TNT trackbar install. Hopefully both will get done next weekend.

Hale

got the sliders installed today , damn it was cold out in the garage .
: pulls out list : sliders , check .

found i need a new trackbar bushing , added to list .
waiting on ups .

RE 4.5 is on, minus shackles due to the broke weld nut.
OAB, extended swaybar mounts, ZJ tierod and OTK flip is done on new to me D30 w/4.56's.
Had to shorten trackbar, not really confident in it, so I might take my other one to have it done at a shop.
Have to go out today to investigate stuck parking brake. Then finally off to the shop for tires and alignment.
Still need gear and brake install on 8.8 and 8.8 install into jeep.

Need to replace the center pins on my leafs and recenter the shims. PITA job but broke em both last time out at the Cliffs.

Put a new yoke on my 8.25 after the welds from the Summer Badlands run finally broke. Want to pull it and drill it out so I can use u-bolt retainers instead of straps. Twice now, I've ripped up a u-joint at the yoke in the quarry. Need to get a 44 so I can go with 1350's instead of the skinny 1310's.

Would really like to get a winch before the run BUT... that also means a new front bumper. Too much $$$. If I could get a nice "trade-in" for my JCR stage 3 front, powdercoated, I'd be able to swing it maybe. I like his new pre-runner winch model.

One of many things finished as of this weekend! Thanks to Mr. LawnChair and his awesome design! Mark you da man buddy! :D
P2020037.jpg

Looks good bshaw!

I got one of my pre-WF projiects done too. I think it may hit the pumpkin. Not good. And the tierod may hit the frame bracket at full flex but, I think bumpstops may hit before that. Haven't had a chance to flex it out hard yet to find out. It just dosen't look right to me.
100_2912.jpg

Last edited:
bshaw said:
One of many things finished as of this weekend! Thanks to Mr. LawnChair and his awesome design! Mark you da man buddy! :D

Happy to help. Its an improved design over most of the Chevy TRE based kits on the market.

My list:

fab rear driveshaft

finish fabbing and install stepside bed

re-install OBA

re-install rebuilt leaf springs

paint and re-install rear axle

replace motor mounts

gusset winch mount

paint repaired floorpan and install carpet

install bucket seats and find matching seat covers

Things to do later:

fab and install new trackbar

fab and install rear bumper w/ auxiliary winch

fab & install tube rockers

fab & install trail doors

I need to buy beer & fill up with gas.:roll: :moon: JIM.

Jeremy, Did you ever get those shims turned so you can drive over 40? JIM.

8.8 is in, still have brakes to hook up and measure for driveshaft. Pics to come soon.

The *&*&&^%$% tire place crossthreaded lugnuts on both rear wheels, one of them spun the stud so I can't get it off. I'm taking the whole D35 over there today to have them unscrew it without messing up my wheel.

ILLXJ said:
Jeremy, Did you ever get those shims turned so you can drive over 40? JIM.
Jim I pretty shure he did. IIRC he, and I talked about that one day I stopped to shoot the breese last fall. Don't think he ever got his windshield fixed either.

Been pretty busy lately. Here is a list of what I have done the past three weeks.

Things replaced on the van from the crash:

passenger side I-beam assembly
radius arm and bracket
tierod
gearbox
shocks front and rear
sway bar bushings
new brake lines in the front
$360.00 at Sears to staighten out the steering.

Things done to the 96 to get it ready:

tsl's back on
New cat, muffler, tailpipe, and o2 sensor
new rear brakes
tranfer case skid put on
new plugs
installed front brackets and hooks

Still a few more things to do on both vehicles before we leave. I hope I don't run out of time. Gonna be cutting it close.

Kim

Ripped off a rear shock mount this weekend at WF1. And I have to get a new trailer tire, to replace the one that blew.

I might cut and fold my rear quarters.
I might add some more tube to the cage.
I might make a new trackbar.
I might make a traction bar.
I might swap out master cylinders.

But if it doesn't get any warmer fixing the shock mount and getting a new trailer tire will be the only things I do. And I will probably get a new CB.

I got my front lift spacers installed this weekend, and I got the shock mount fixed.
Gotta install my free to me K-40
fix a rear brake drum
replace the rear driveshaft joints, the detroit has eaten those up.

Back