• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to check after some mud?

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
Managed to find a mudde puddle to mess around in, and just want to see if there were somethings I should check afterwards (Ignore the line going to the air filter box, noticed it after the picture and put it back on). Maybe wash out the engine compartment?

Also noticed one of the plastic wheel well things came loose and wanted to know if it was a big deal to just take it off.

I dont know much about muddin seeing I just bought my first jeep a week ago but I would definately clean that engine and the underside of the hood, clean electric connections with a dry rag or anything prone to getting water in that shouldnt then cover those parts and take a power washer to it, just my .02

i would recommend putting the wheel well lining back in so you don't get crap up towards the door through the fenders.

if you were 1/2 up your tires, you should check your diff/tranny/t-case fluid and make sure you didn't get water/mud in there (ALWAYS check those after playing in water/mud).

and when you wash the engine bay, try not to get to much water on the plugs by the throttle body. they don't like that to much.

other than that have fun.

Another reason I hate mud.:gonnablow

Do all of the above plus, clean the engine bay with a garden hose only to avoid killing sensors and connectors. Put the jeep on jack stands and pull all 4 tires. Pull the rear drums and pressure wash the entire underside, to include the rear brake components, the front unit bearings, the control arm mounts, between the gas tank and plastic cover, pinions, and anything else that can hold the mud.

The mud will hold moisture and accelerate rust. It will also eat your brake shoes in short order if you don't get them flushed (wonder why I hate mud?). It will also creep into bearings and tear them up if the seals aren't in top condition.

After the Jeep dries, use brakeclean on the rear brakes to finish up, reassemble everything and take it for a drive.

Enjoy waiting for the next :repair: to be needed.

HTH

clean the alternator well with some electric motor cleaner after you wash it out with water. Or it will eat the bearings soon.
Make sure you cover the vital electronics before washing the motor. TPS sensors hate water, and it's bad to get the distributor wet.

yeah i just used water to get the mud off my jeep the onther day and had to get a new tps cuz of it. didnt even think of it till you said that tps hate water :banghead:

jeeptree said:
yeah i just used water to get the mud off my jeep the onther day and had to get a new tps cuz of it. didnt even think of it till you said that tps hate water :banghead:
D'oh

That broken wheel well liner definately contributed to that underhood mud decor. The most important thing to do after going through deep mud like that is to grease the rod ends, ball joints, and U-joints. I'd pop that air box and take a look in there, may need a new air filter.

Rinsed out the engine compartment, washed the underbody, and driveshafts. Also took all four wheels off and washed the wheels and wheel wells.

Slo-Sho said:
That broken wheel well liner definately contributed to that underhood mud decor. The most important thing to do after going through deep mud like that is to grease the rod ends, ball joints, and U-joints. I'd pop that air box and take a look in there, may need a new air filter.

I'll probably grease everything again when I get a chance to at my schools shop. I took out the airbox and washed out the small amount of mud at the bottom of it, dried it, and put it back. Air filter is due for replacement anyways, so I'll be doing that in a few minutes.

also I would check your coolant and radiator. Last time I went to Paragon and played in the mud to long I killed my alternator(battery just got me close enough to home) and I fried the cooling system. The cooling didn't come up for a while but when I flushed it there was mud small rocks you name it and it was there. I think it gets in through the overflow tank but it sucked a$$. The only thing that you would regret about taking the fender liner off is that the mud goes right through to the doors other than that I've had them off for 6+ months no prob

The TPS on the 91's and up are not has sensitive to water as the 90's down.
Just use a water hose with a spray nozzle to be safe.
I use a pressure washer on my 91 but that's me.
After you get most of the mud off use some Purple Cleaner from Carquest then spray contact cleaner on everything electrical.
Someone said to use a lawn sprinkler to get the underside, but I like the spray nozzle better.
Like the others say don't forget the brakes and fluids.
I love mud.

73's KG4BET

My personal experience while "diving", I got stuck in the middle of a stream, water at the base of the "limited" sign on the rigt fron side but the engine kept running, water inside over the center console, stood in the stream for 10 min. engine never stall or stoped, (great engines!). It took 1 year and 10k to kill the alternator, so I do recomend some lube on the bearings and Check the starter 2....

Definately check that air filter...probably woulndnt hurt to pull the air filter box off and clean it out good. The boxes on the XJ's like to collect water and mud when goin through stuff like that....one of the things I dont like about the Xj and am trying to come up with a good way to redesign.

Back