• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The "what can we do better thread"

First and foremost, I want to say how awesome of a job that the BOD and the WF staff/helpers did this year on putting on what I see as the best Winterfest to date. I found myself at the registration table wondering what I needed to do next and Mac said "your done, go pay Troy!" It was just that smooth and simple. My hats off to all those that helped in the planning and execution of the event, it was as close to perfect as I have seen for this event. The flags for trails were a nice addition, and very visible. The cones w/ tape we used in the past were hard to see, if seen at all. It was great to see the BOD get things to go off like this and work as a fluid unit for a final outcome that was this spectacular. JR and I talked about this a lot on our 8 hour trip home. Winterfest has become such an event that even when not wheeling much, it is just as good of time and everything went so smooth this year. Well done gang, your efforts we noticed by all :thumbup:

As for the CB's, there is no perfect solution, and any change will bring up whinners or bitching. If the change is what is needed, then change it and thats it. I personally like the hand held idea and it does away with my mag mount antanee that gets knocked off all the time :D

As for the raffle, limiting prizes, shit......thats just stupid. You want to talk about seeing a drop in raffle funds, that will be a killer in its own. As mentioned earlier, the more you spend, the better your odds. I have spent AND donated thousands to this chapter through buying raffle tickets and I even used to donate $100-250 cash to the raffle for someone to win. There were years I bought $300 in tickets and did not win anything, and this year I spent $50 and won a bumper and long arms. It is just the luck of the draw. You gotta pay to play, and like was mentioned above, even those who buy a ton of tickets sometimes end up with a shirt or less.

As for what I would recommend that you change or improve on...nothing. You all have shown this chapter what a well lubricated BOD can achieve and it is quite impressive to be honest. Nice work gang, you pulled it off in a way that it has yet to be done.

Cheese "you guys and gals kicked ass!" Man

Re: Re: The "what can we do better thread"

Well, you can see my confusion, as I registered and received raffle tickets as part of that...

What color?
Red ones were for raffle prizes and were not included in the registration packet unless you paid extra for them (as far as I know, May be wrong).
Blue was for pre registered members only and was for the winch giveaway drawing.
Yellow gets you into the Saturday dinner.

I.helped put those bags together, I'm aware of what was put in them and why.

What color?
Red ones were for raffle prizes and were not included in the registration packet unless you paid for them (as far as I know, May be wrong).
Blue was for pre registered members only and was for the winch giveaway drawing.
Yellow gets you into the Saturday dinner.

I.helped put those bags together, I'm aware of what was put in them and why.

Sorry, I don't recall ordering them when I registered, so please ignore me now... :anon:

Still, I've heard a lot of people complaining before about the people who buy 100's of tickets. Other events, other clubs/associations. Just giving my 2 cents, as asked...

I'm just saying what the different tickets were for.
For example my registration was 45 instead off 35 since I bought 10 (red) raffle tickets when I registered.

We could not offer free camping, or a winch give away, or only charge $15 for dinner (dinner actually cost more than $15) if we didn't have the income from the raffle.

Should I be upset with you because I bought several hundreds of dollars worth of tickets for the giveaway jeep and YOU won it?

Equality for all doesn't work.

I've been thinking about the time I was standing around....

First I could not be more thankful that HD Off Road bought us all lunch. That goes a long way for so many people. Especially one less expense during the event.
but
I also think the lunch and quarry pic could be adjusted... How about breakfast sandwiches at registration? Breakfast sandwiches at staging? I know the logistics are terrible and keeping food hot is a pain but coolers also work for hot food. I'm not sure what McD's would think about a sale on 120 sandwiches and 200 taters... It would make my day to know I was going to have a hot sandwich waiting on me at 9am. ALSO I KNOW WE SHOULD NOT EXPECT FOOD EVERY YEAR AND I'M VERY APPRECIATIVE FOR WHAT WE GOT.

The quarry pic could be 4:00 in the quarry.. Then convoy out of the park. I know this is a pain for the BOD who has to sneak off and start working on the raffle/dinner.

1pm the staging flags could come back out and people could get in line for a second run. People that want to move from green to orange could do so with the agreement of the trail leader?

Big 'still just tossing ideas' Hank

ps: maybe people wanting more trail time just have to deal with getting there on Friday and not counting on Saturday to cover all the ground.

Look, I'm not here to get in a pissing match or anything. You guys ran a great event.
My one comment was based on my faulty memory, so ignore it.

In my experience, the way raffles are run can be contentious. Heck, there are plenty of comments before mine about ways you could change running it. I may be new to NAXJA, but I'm not new to raffles, or planning and executing events.

To me, there is a difference between a public raffle/lottery, where anyone can buy any number of tickets, and one for a specific event, where tickets are given as part of entering (like you guys did with the winch raffle.) It is the latter case, where selling more tickets seems unfair to me. That's all I was trying to get across.

I think the raffle should stay as is.

Everything went smooth except for me not getting my tech done before registration. You'd think I'd know better! ;)

I like the FRS idea, I am one of the guys with a crappy cb. A FRS set is WAY cheaper than a good cab set up.

We did not sell any tickets for the winch.

X2

There was ONE ticket per member that went towards the winch raffle. These were the blue ones in your bags.
None were sold, they were an incentive to pre register, and become a paying member if you weren't already.

Edit:
I see what might be confusing you. We ran out of red tickets for the regular raffle and had to use some blue ones.
These blue ones went in the same box as the red ones and were NOT part of the winch raffle.

Last edited:
I don't remember signing up for raffle tickets when I registered, that's where my confusion came from.

I understand you didn't sell any additional tickets for the winch, I was using that as an example of when I think it would be unfair to sell additional tickets for a raffle.

I think what you guys did with having 2 raffles is actually a good compromise. Have 1 raffle for a few big prizes, 1 ticket each, and then the 2nd raffle w/ people buying as many tickets as they can afford.

ohhh my head hurts, here is the best idea so far:

replace the "R" in "raffle" with a"W"....then it says WAFFLE! and what goes good with waffles???

thats right, BACON.

court adjourned.

Cheese "came home with 25# of bacon" Man

I think that we should have a pretty chick in a fancy dress like Vanna White handing over the winning tickets....

I thought things went great. I mentioned it before maybe, i cant remember, but if you had pre determined cb channels on the forums before the event that may help.

i am on broad with whatever way it takes to make communication easier. for me (if we stuck with cb's) i will be replacing mine with a quality one. communication on the trail is more important than i think some people realize. Saturday was a perfect example for me. one wrong turn, possibly because of my cb and another delay was caused.

other than that, props to those that put in unpaid hours to make it smooth.

That bacon thawed in the back of the Denali and bacon juice seeped out, and now it smells like heaven in there :D

Cheese "wants to sleep in the vehicle now" Man

I thought things went great. I mentioned it before maybe, i cant remember, but if you had pre determined cb channels on the forums before the event that may help.

There were predetermined cb channels on the itinerary that I posted and had copies of at the registration table.

I did that ahead of time, so if there was an issue during the day, we could possibly call that trail on the cb to get ahold of them.

mac 'tried to think ahead' gyvr

Saturday was a perfect example for me. one wrong turn, possibly because of my cb and another delay was caused.

If people remembered to keep the guy behind them in their mirrors, this shouldn't be an issue. I know I had to call for the group ahead to slow down because guys behind me were having a slow go of it and the guy ahead of me was no longer in sight. It's a simple thing, but pretty dang important.

Back