• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"The Walking Dead" on AMC

Last nights episode was very good.

Just enough drama, to make it better than the typical zombie story.

And the zombies are Bad ass!

I have to admit that after last night's episode this is part of what's causing me to lose interest in it a bit - the human interest to me is what they do to survive in that environment, not so much how they feel about it, or what's going on in the characters' personal lives.

The other thing that's getting to me (and I realise this is fiction, so really am trying to give the characters as much benefit of suspension of disbelief as possible) is that they're making poor decisions. OK, they decide to go back into the city - so why not raid an auto parts store for what they need to get the RV running again while they're there instead of cannibalising a functional vehicle on their return? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a survival mentality at play on the survivors' behalf.

Definitely some of the best I've seen, that's for sure.

Last nights episode was very good.

I like the crossbow, that's a good zombie weapon no noise and reusable ammo

only 3 episodes to go

I like the crossbow, that's a good zombie weapon no noise and reusable ammo,...
I got to re-thinking the whole "zombie weapons" thing last week(before the last episode came out) and came to a new conclusion.

Most animals quit fighting when they realize they've been hurt. There are a few notable exceptions(ex: Cape buffalo), and occasional individuals that will attack(hunters attacked by deer, etc) But most animals and people run, or at least quit fighting when they realize they've been badly hurt

Considering the intended antagonist/target:
It's already dead. You can't HURT it. If you CUT it, it's not going to bleed out. Blunt trauma to any part of the body except the head/CNS won't do any useful damage. Presumably if you stabbed it with a sword/shot it and severed the spine, you could turn off it's legs, but again, that won't HURT it. The biggest threat from the Zombie is that it won't stop it's attack unless you can turn it off, or run far enough away, fast enough, that it looses interest or is distracted by a second target.

The only way to "turn it off" is a traumatic brain injury.

Rather then multiple guns/knives/tons-o-ammo/etc. I think the best overall solution is a good old fashioned mace (say, around 15th century style). A couple feet long, maybe 30". Nothing flashy. About the size and weight of a 1/2" breaker bar, with a small(maybe 1/3-1/2lb) weighted end containing four or five 3/4"-1" spikes. Easy to crack a skull with, Not going to get stuck in the body where you can't pull it out.
Back it up with armored gauntlets(again, something right out of the 15th century) up to just below the elbow, short spikes on the backs of the knuckles.

Easy to carry, easy to use, fast, quiet. If the thing gets inside the arc of the mace, you can grab it by the face/mouth with one armored hand and smash it's forehead in with the back of the other hand.

I suppose a crossbow would come in handy for short/medium ranges(outside contact distance) but it's not exactly a rapid fire weapon. Does have the advantage of being easier to aim/fire accurately then a bow.

As for episode three: Wow,.. what to do? You find yourself in a group of survivors which contain 2 racist rednecks, a wife-beater, and a city code officer. Who to shoot first,...

As for episode three: Wow,.. what to do? You find yourself in a group of survivors which contain 2 racist rednecks, a wife-beater, and a city code officer. Who to shoot first,...

That's easy, break the legs of the last two and throw them to the zombies, you can reason with the rednecks.

I think you have a good idea about the mace, if the zombie Apocalypse were to happen i think i would go to the garage and pound a couple 16 penny nails through the top of my base ball bat. the only problem i see is if there is a swarm of them, the bat is kinda close range so if your working on one a couple might jump on you then your screwed :D

if it did happen i would find a grocery store board up the doors and windows and hide out there. you can put the meat in the freezer and you have water and bread not to mention the canned food that holds its shelf life forever, just hope they have Twinkies :D

i've NEEEEEVER been into zombies but this show is awesome. i missed episode two so the BF and i had to get it from online last night. it was amazing. im confused though because in ep.2 online they said n*gger ... can they say that on AMC?

...,in ep.2 online they said n*gger ... can they say that on AMC?
Apparently they can, 'cause they did. Probably helped that the idiot got butt-stroked right afterwards, chained to a pipe and left for dead.

I was interested too, but it was strange cause even the cop said...
"There are no n***ers, and no racist white trash either, just dark meat, and white meat." (or something like that.)

Either way, awesome plot so far.

Pretty sure that the main character fired all 6 rounds of his python under the tank and then a magical 7th into the soldier in the tank. Also, in the recap of him getting shot, pretty funny that he told his partner to make sure he was loaded and that the safety was off. They even added a safety "clicking" noise to his motions on his glock.

Pretty sure that the main character fired all 6 rounds of his python under the tank and then a magical 7th into the soldier in the tank. Also, in the recap of him getting shot, pretty funny that he told his partner to make sure he was loaded and that the safety was off. They even added a safety "clicking" noise to his motions on his glock.

iirc he was checking the soldiers gun and shot him with his own

He fired 5 rounds and with the last round aimed at his head, he apologizes and looks up to see the hatch, goes right in and sits next to the dude. The Python is in his right hand. He grabs the Beretta with his left. Zombie soldier wakes up, he lifts the Python and aims the barrel under the chin and fires his last round. He has 15 rounds for the Beretta and thus the start of episode 2.

Pretty sure that the main character fired all 6 rounds of his python under the tank and then a magical 7th into the soldier in the tank.
He fired 5 rounds and with the last round aimed at his head, he apologizes and looks up to see the hatch, goes right in and sits next to the dude.
Yep! Thought he had one of those magic Hollywood guns too. I actually sat and counted the shots under the tank the second time I watched that episode, and came up with 5 before he went through the hatch. Somebody is actually paying attention to firearms details on this show. Have you EVER seen a depiction of a shot in a closed in space where the shooter is deafened?
If I wanted to be nit-picky(why, yes,I will thanks! :D ) He's a cop. If that's his duty gun and probably even if it's not, he'll have speed-loaders for it, probably at least two, more likely three. He's out after one cylinder under the tank and doesn't reload until his ex-pardner/friend/guy who blue-falconed his wife gave him 4 spare rounds.
Here's the problem:
He fired the gun at least 2 times prior to the tank incident. The zombie cop at the station, and the corpse in the park. He reloaded afterward, or he wouldn't have had six in the gun when he went under the tank. Either he should have had 4 spares(taking 2 out of a speedloader/speedstrip to top up) or our hero, who can make head-shots one handed, with an unfamiliar gun, while running, left ALL his spare ammo for his primary gun in that bag with the shotguns. Really? Not even a speed strip in a pocket?

Yep! Thought he had one of those magic Hollywood guns too. I actually sat and counted the shots under the tank the second time I watched that episode, and came up with 5 before he went through the hatch. Somebody is actually paying attention to firearms details on this show. Have you EVER seen a depiction of a shot in a closed in space where the shooter is deafened?
If I wanted to be nit-picky(why, yes,I will thanks! :D ) He's a cop. If that's his duty gun and probably even if it's not, he'll have speed-loaders for it, probably at least two, more likely three. He's out after one cylinder under the tank and doesn't reload until his ex-pardner/friend/guy who blue-falconed his wife gave him 4 spare rounds.
Here's the problem:
He fired the gun at least 2 times prior to the tank incident. The zombie cop at the station, and the corpse in the park. He reloaded afterward, or he wouldn't have had six in the gun when he went under the tank. Either he should have had 4 spares(taking 2 out of a speedloader/speedstrip to top up) or our hero, who can make head-shots one handed, with an unfamiliar gun, while running, left ALL his spare ammo for his primary gun in that bag with the shotguns. Really? Not even a speed strip in a pocket?
In the beginning of the show, he kills the little zombie girl. That's one shot. Then the flashback to the shootout, I counted that he fired 3 rounds before being shot. He then seems to empty the shells he fired and starts to reload before taking a lethal hit in the back. Assuming his partner or nobody else reloaded his gun, he would have 3 rounds left in that gun till he gets back to it at the station. He uses one on the zombie cop, another on the corpse in the park, and fast foward it to the beginning when he's getting gas for the car, he shoots his third and last round, though I find it hard to believe he would enter unknown and possibly hostile territory with only 1 round. He must have reloaded some time before and after that scene. I'm going to assume he uses the Python as his duty and personal gun. With that said, it's possible the station does not stock any rounds for it since it's not a standard issue. He probably buys a box whenever he runs low and perhaps it just so happens he was going to buy another box because he realized he has like 9 rounds total left after that shootout before being capped in the back.

Last edited:
In the beginning of the show, he kills the little zombie girl.
Forgot about that one. The whole flash back/forward thing,... presumably that shot was fired on his way to Atlanta. Can't really count anything before he was wounded. Presumably he re-loaded the gun at some point after retrieving it from his home.
Why didn't the wife grab that puppy on the way out the door? Unless he got it from the station. Could have been in his locker, I suppose,... Any way around, presumably he re-loaded at some point before he took off for Atlanta. Either he put down more zombies then shown on camera(three more, to be exact), or he should have had some unspecified number of spare rounds left.

Wasn't his motivation for going to Atlanta to try and locate his wife and son, figuring they would be there in a refugee center run by the government?

What is up with those TARDS at the camp, afraid to go put DANGER signs on the highways into Atlanta but willing to sneak into Atlanta to scavenge? Seems like you drop off a sign on your way in to the city.

Yeah, you can't start counting shots from one day and a**ume that he didn't reload sometime/somewhere in between. How many zombies did he encounter during those off-camera moments? I am glad someone was counting and that he only fired five under the tank and one inside.

For a reverse on the old Colt six shooter with twenty shots try observing some of the current cop shows where they empty their Glock mega-magazines after about five shots like they always do on "In Plain Sight".

As for dumping a partially emptied revolver and reloading six with a speed loader--standard practice for old school LEOs, you don't try and fumble a few empties out and a few reloads in under stress with an adrenaline rush on.

I would expect him to have six in the revolver with two speed loaders on his belt for normal duty--not sure of proper post-zombie combat allocations but it would seem like he would have more rounds on his person somewhere.

What is up with those TARDS at the camp, afraid to go put DANGER signs on the highways into Atlanta,... ...,Seems like you drop off a sign on your way in to the city.
Now that you mention it, that is kind of screwed up,....
Yeah, you can't start counting shots from one day and a**ume that he didn't reload sometime/somewhere in between. How many zombies did he encounter during those off-camera moments? I am glad someone was counting and that he only fired five under the tank and one inside.
like I said, Seems like someone is at least trying to pay attention.
As for dumping a partially emptied revolver and reloading six with a speed loader--standard practice for old school LEOs, you don't try and fumble a few empties out and a few reloads in under stress with an adrenaline rush on.
True, but only in a "hot" situation. If you had to cap one or two occasional zombies, at unknown/unplanned interval, you would reload one at a time, even if you used a whole speed-loader, you wouldn't just dump the unfired rounds when you topped up. If you had any free rounds left, you wouldn't leave the gun empty(Can't claim he forgot, when he reloaded, the cylinder was empty - he dumped the spent cases at some point)
I would expect him to have six in the revolver with two speed loaders on his belt for normal duty--not sure of proper post-zombie combat allocations but it would seem like he would have more rounds on his person somewhere.
That was my thought.

Back