• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Presidential Convoy

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I know there is probably a better word than convoy but I just couldn't find it back in the dark parts of my brain.

Ryan (Blkxjkrawler) our new president decided he wanted to go wheeling in the snow with his family. So being as he is now officialy our president and all we had to put a few security crew to go with him (especially since he hasn't mounted his winch yet and has next to nothing for recovery points ;).

Han's, Jeremy, Tracey, and myself all headed out with all the wives and kids, sleds, and hot cocoa we could fit. The idea was to head up Jack's Pass which was supposed to be plowed and see if we couldn't find a decent off shoot to run and then do some sledding.

As it turns out the road was plowed only part way up and there is ALOT of snow up there!! We got out to the bridge and the junction of several trails (Han's will remember the numbers) and found two YJ's who had just aired down and put chains on the front of 1 of them :banghead: just heading up the pass. We aired down and the kids got white with snow. The trail was well packed and as long as you stayed on the trail everything was fine but if you slipped off to the side (which was easy to do) you would drop off the end and sink enough to make it difficult to get back ontop of the trail. We had a few minor insidents on our way up but reasonably quickly got to where we could see the YJ's just in front of us digging out. I got stuck and had to dig out and I believe Jeremy also got stuck (first and last jeeps in the train) by the time we got all of us back on the trail and going again 1 of the YJ's had turned around and come back to see if we were OK (very nice of them). In the process of him backing back up the trail to turn back around again he got well and trully stuck. After I re-seated a rear bead, We ended up letting him winch off of my front bumper, tying the back of my Jeep to the front of Han's, the back of Han's to the front of Tracey and it all worked well. He got back on the trail and they were back up the trail.

Except that the end of the trail was a wall of snow well over the hood of these two YJ's on 35's (yes, with open dif's and D30's, not sure of the rear axle). If we had been on our own we might have tried to build a ramp or alternative to try to get a new trail started but the kids were hungry, and we didn't really need a larger group than we already had.

We had lunch, headed back down the trail to find a sledding spot. We found a great spot where we had aired up on the way up and all of the kids got to show off their stuff:rof: I am sure all of us are just a little sore today;)

Here are a few of my pic's.

Our Pres spending quality time with Austin.
DSCN0439.jpg

Jeremy's Jeep, you can't see it, but it looks sweet in the snow.
DSCN0441.jpg

Han's disconnecting and showing off his winch bumper's other capabilities.
DSCN0436.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

The YJ's we ran into near the top.
DSCN0435.jpg

Bad pic's of the rest of the group.
DSCN0434.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

Michael

Presidential Motorcade. Carrying both current and a former Chapter President. With Michael as the security force.

Last edited:
Metal Thrasher said:
Presidential Motorcade. Carrying both current and a former Chapter President. With Michael as the security force.

Thanks Tracey, that was the word I was looking for.

The only security work I had to do was assist Austin and the First Lady from a near ditch experience :helpme:

Michael

2xtreme said:
The only security work I had to do was assist Austin and the First Lady from a near ditch experience :helpme:

Michael

I can laugh at that now but not then! :roflmao:

Are we going to discuss vehicle weights in this thread???

Yeah, that was alot of Fun guys!!!
and also pretty scary for a couple of seconds.
I got a TON of good pics I'll get loaded tonight
-Ryan

Sounds like a lot of work, but a good time nonetheless. That's a lot of friggin' snow up there! Was the sledding area as good as the bowl up near the top of Tnkham Rd.? That's a truly awesome tubing/sledding area.

Hey, that bumper is missing a winch.:D

We had a great time yesterday! I'll see if I have some decent pictures to post up tonight. All of us were wiped out after a long day of wheeling and sledding. Good times.

5400 lbs. for the win!

-Jeremy

Megawatt said:
5400 lbs. for the win!
-Jeremy

I was 5320 lbs. fully loaded (all 5 of the family, sleds, gear, lunch).
I believe I am 4600 lbs. (empty, dry, trailer weight).

Michael

HOLY SHIZNITS...that is alot of snow. Stupid question coming from someone who has NEVER seen that much snow. How do those paths get made originally? By some crazy dude who just decided to drive through 4' of snow and see what happens? Regardless, I am extremely jealous as that looks amazing. More pics please!

I think the exact number was 5430 with my family, and all of my trail gear minus spare axles. What a pig of a Jeep. It needs to go on a diet.

-Jeremy

BruceB83 said:
How do those paths get made originally? By some crazy dude who just decided to drive through 4' of snow and see what happens?

There was probably much more than 4' feet of snow. We were on top of at least a couple feet, plus what you see on the sides of the path. Depending on the snows consistency, you can drive in very deep snow. Airing down your tires to get maximum floatation will help a lot. The snow yesterday had been driven on before we got there, but was still very soft. If you got off the packed wheel tracks, you were pretty much stuck as your Jeep sunk down to the belly pan/axles. Good times.

-Jeremy

2xtreme said:

I always wondered what they meant by "core support". :rof:

A few more pics:

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

Video still uploading....

fubar XJ said:
Hey, that bumper is missing a winch.:D

I asked Santa for a winch for Christmas but I guess I was a bad boy, maybe next year.:cry:

Hans

Back