• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the plasma cutter told me to do it

Economos said:
They're Bilsteins, so you know they ain't junk and they're dual rate. I think most others are running 12" travels in the rear but I'd ask them before me.:D I know Fullsizexj and OneTonXJ both have rear coilovers - ask them.

10" travel coilovers are just too short. I'm running 12 x 2.5" dia in the front & it's not enough, 14s are perfect. Richard (FullsizeXJ) is runnnig 16 x 2" dia all the way around. His rear flex is probably more than you need.

vintagespeed said:
10" travel coilovers are just too short. I'm running 12 x 2.5" dia in the front & it's not enough, 14s are perfect. Richard (FullsizeXJ) is runnnig 16 x 2" dia all the way around. His rear flex is probably more than you need.

I figured they were, but thought I'd put him on to what seemed like a decent deal. Burrows' rear suspension travel is just crazy.:D

yeah i think i will hold off on the coilovers for now. maybe when i get the jeep build all payed off i will consider, i only owe 4k on it now... only? this hobby is expensive! that pisses me off though cause i will prolly run leaves and that is more work to build the new frame to accomodate that imo. leaves are so much harder on frames than coils...

thanks for suggesting that though economos, it probably would be enough flex to keep me smiling for awhile cause these leafs won't offer any more. but i am going to take a leaf out front and rear and work them in. we'll see how it goes. i still have to buy shocks... ughhhhh! what shocks to buy? they will prolly be temporary!

what a pita this is

oh and beez, top notch photos man thanks!

xj_punk said:
ughhhhh! what shocks to buy?

Beez will probably say Bilstien 5150s.:D

You've got a very cool rig man and I'm definitely lookin forward to seeing what you do with it; keep us posted in this thread as you build it so we can keep up with each phase.

Economos said:
Beez will probably say Bilstien 5150s.:D

You've got a very cool rig man and I'm definitely lookin forward to seeing what you do with it; keep us posted in this thread as you build it so we can keep up with each phase.

i need cheap shocks though cause they will prolly end up being too short once i get the springs all worked in. i guess i could just relocate them for more travel after that, but i don't want expensive shocks period. maybe i will get some adjustable doetsch tech or ranchos... any opinions? i don't want to spend very much. if i end up spending so much money on shocks that i could've almost had coilovers i would be pissed.

SERIOUSLY, WHERE IS THE BEST DEAL ON COILOVERS? HOW MUCH $$$ FOR A DECENT 14" SETUP? I WANT THEM!!!!! i am making a new thread on this topic.

yeah i probably will lower it. my front leaves are procomp 4" yj springs and procomps are known for lack of flex... yeah it doesn't flex! so i am taking out a leaf or two and then when i breaks in a little i will put one of the leafs back in so the pack doesn't get screwed over.
plus my brand new driveline is not as long as i would like it to be since i went from standard to shackle reversal. it doesn't have much spline engagement no so i would like to lower it a little and mover the axle back an inch on the perches.
how much does the pinion really move away from the t-case with shackle reverse? i will probably end up buying a new driveline with 16" of spline, a local shop i know of will hook me up.

xj_punk said:
yeah i probably will lower it. my front leaves are procomp 4" yj springs and procomps are known for lack of flex... yeah it doesn't flex! so i am taking out a leaf or two and then when i breaks in a little i will put one of the leafs back in so the pack doesn't get screwed over.
plus my brand new driveline is not as long as i would like it to be since i went from standard to shackle reversal. it doesn't have much spline engagement no so i would like to lower it a little and mover the axle back an inch on the perches.
how much does the pinion really move away from the t-case with shackle reverse? i will probably end up buying a new driveline with 16" of spline, a local shop i know of will hook me up.

WOW 4in YJ leaf up front and shackle in back... that shackle has to be going through yrou frame right?!

I have a 4in YJ rear pro comp second leaf mixed with Yj stock leafs under an XJ main leaf on my front it saged about 2in and now is completely flat, but it flexes well. I get the full 13.5in of travel from my rancho 5012s.

Im shackle forward so Im no help for you on that. But my toyota (5.5in lift) is shackle in back and the stock shaft is not 16in! get the long throw shaft..

i should be able to just have tom woods build me a new axle end for the driveline since shackle reversal droops more than it compresses. don't ya think? it will probably be a couple bills.

Looks like you would have been better off starting with a MJ! Thats want it looks like now except with a lot more work ahead of you :eek:

xj_punk said:
hey where in the world is oneton? i want to see some pics of his rig, most of the old ones don't work on here.

They cut the use of signitures on naxja so i used my location.... :D

My digi camera broke so no new pics..
Last night I mounted my winch to the front bumper, got the stinger on, and have the hoop around the front grill on. Tonight Ill get the fender bars on and afew other gussets on the cage and the front should be done.

I dove tailed the back by 12in, made a hood along the top of the rear fenders, but still need to make the c-hoop over the back seat with cross bracing, then it will be done. It looks sweet.

Pics from November are like 4 sticks of tube out dated :D
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139642

ashmanjeepxj said:
They cut the use of signitures on naxja so i used my location.... :D

My digi camera broke so no new pics..
Last night I mounted my winch to the front bumper, got the stinger on, and have the hoop around the front grill on. Tonight Ill get the fender bars on and afew other gussets on the cage and the front should be done.

I dove tailed the back by 12in, made a hood along the top of the rear fenders, but still need to make the c-hoop over the back seat with cross bracing, then it will be done. It looks sweet.

Pics from November are like 4 sticks of tube out dated :D
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139642

yeah i was just looking at those pics the other day.. where are some new ones>????????

Economos said:
Yeah hurry up Dave, you need to BTT that thread on Pirate already. :woohoo:
serious dude wtf you thinking not updating pics? if they aren't on here tomorrow, don't show your face around here anymore... ya hear?!?
hehe

xj_punk said:
serious dude wtf you thinking not updating pics? if they aren't on here tomorrow, don't show your face around here anymore... ya hear?!?
hehe
oooh well, Im screwed...

I got the front fender bars on last night, and braced the stinger.
Ill see If I can get a friend to come by and take pics, it will be dark night pics..

Back