• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official Xota build thread

Well I've pretty much decided to put the XJ front clip on. I like the look and the originality.
Started attaching XJ fender to rear lip of Toyota fender.
DSC00072.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

That looks really cool!!! After you finish everything you gotta go to a Yota dealership for an oil change and see the look on their faces :D :D

Wow, that is some build-up!! :eek: That's also a whole lot of work you've put into it, but now you've got something unique. I can't wait to see the front end when you finish with it!

Thanks guy's for all your comments

The transmission tunnel is mostly built now. Just have to do some spot welding from underneath when the cab comes back off.
11/23/05
DSC00073.jpg

Before tunnel was built
DSC00053.jpg

Trimmed some of the Toyota radiator support, the crossmember will be cut off once I build brackets to support the inner fenders.
DSC00074.jpg

trainwrexj said:
better change that valve cover gasket before you button it all up :) :) :)

Yeah it's a little tight around the valve cover. But if I pull out the motor mount bolts the engine will drop down enough to get valve cover off.

And I did v/c gasket a little while ago.

a very very cool project, you are one ambitious dude! i would not have the patience to do this, at all, and it looks like you really have the knowledge and skill to finish it up nicely! congrats dude, i am very impressed. this is going to be a very very original truck

True design build....

I guess you have to register it as the Toyota? and do emmisions as a Cherokee?

Hypothetically, how would you insure that as well?

I guess you'll tell us...inquiring minds would like to know.

woah woah woah...

you need to slow down, you dont see anyone else on these forums working that fast do you? :)

nice job, hope it gets farther than the bronco drivetrain into a chevy luv a friend started last year at this time

DorkAlert said:
True design build....

I guess you have to register it as the Toyota? and do emmisions as a Cherokee?

Hypothetically, how would you insure that as well?

I guess you'll tell us...inquiring minds would like to know.

I'm hoping to use my Cherokee title, registration & insurance. After all it's just a slightly modified Cherokee......... officer.

That is freakin awesome! Are you using the toy rear end or did you use your XJ rear-end! If it has the right rear-end that toy end is almost as good as a 60! Looks good, keep up the good work!

BTW, it must be nice to be a body man!

The last few evenings worth of work to rebuild the floor area around the shifters so they would be mounted in the correct positions to operate properly.
12/1/05
DSC00077.jpg

Also the heater box was modified to fit around the tunnel, I was lucky that there was enough clearance inside the box that I could cut some of the box off and not effect the operation of any of the control flaps.
DSC00078.jpg

bigjeepman said:
That is freakin awesome! Are you using the toy rear end or did you use your XJ rear-end! If it has the right rear-end that toy end is almost as good as a 60! Looks good, keep up the good work!

BTW, it must be nice to be a body man!

I was only able to buy cab and frame with the front IFS but no rear diff.

The metal work on the cab is done (I think that was harder than building the frame) So I lifted the cab back off and cleaned up all the welds and then primed the bare metal.
Then I applied seam sealer on all the seams, then I applied a layer of alum. backed adhesive sound deadener. Now it is ready to get the firewall painted.
DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

that's totally clean looking. Nice work.
I assume you're having the whole cab painted with the new XJ fenders on it?

Back