• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

After running the three shock suspension setup for the past few weeks, I finally picked up some replacement shocks via Don at Gresham 4WD.
E19C54D4-B59A-4575-B784-42EC13D542FE-19782-000015EA05F7CCC0_zpsd07b258c.jpg

In an effort not to kill these shocks, I immediately set out on building some rear bump stops. Plan was to build some extensions off my RuffStuff Spring Plates. After seeing northwestxj's rear bump setup I stole his idea of using 2x1 as a bump pad.
P1080171_zps416c3ca7.jpg

Capped the ends for no reason.
P1080172_zpsc1de8d79.jpg

Tacked in place. Done with Part1.
P1080173_zps970d8b83.jpg

While cutting apart Dellstopjeep's Red Mustache Ride I snagged his front bump stop towers for an unknown project at the time. Well I decided they would be perfect for an extended rear bump stop in the rear. Wrapped some paper around them to mark out a square cut.
P1080175_zps8127063c.jpg

Mocked up.
P1080176_zpsdc11c6ee.jpg

Added some paint, and then reinstalled. Now when the rear catches some air I'll have a peace of mind.
P1080178_zpsc764e387.jpg

After doing all this, now I really have the urge to put the shocks through the floor to gain some uptravel. Never ends. :rolleyes:

looks simple enough.

Got back to work on finishing the cross member/skid.

For the skid plate portion I chose to plate the bottom of the cross member with a piece of .250" plate, 11x14. I picked up a surplus piece from Eastside, and cut it down to size.
P1080180_zpsacf0b334.jpg

Added some side supports.
P1080183_zps8761942f.jpg

It'll get welded to the bottom, and then extends 10" off the back.
P1080184_zps3a53aef7.jpg

Burned it all in, and then gave it the paint treatment. Compared to the OEM cross member it's pretty low profile.
P1080188_zpsafc64168.jpg

Installed. Before I measured 17.75" to the bottom of the cross member, now my "belly cleareance" is a hair under 19".
P1080191_zpsa1ac9a20.jpg

P1080192_zps601f5249.jpg

I'll report back when I drag it over some rocks, but I think it'll do it's job well.

Looks great! How far past the Tcase does it stick out?
Probably less than an inch. It covers the vitals and that it.
This thing has come along way since I saw it last, Sorry I missed ya at La Dee the other day, we need to do some wheeling together again! nice job on your Jeep!
Thanks, man! I'm hoping to make it back down to LaDee and lend a hand soon.

Next project that's been bugging me has been in cab winch controls. It's always a hassle running the winch remote through the window. Plus you never know when you'll need your winch ASAP.

While researching the wiring portion of the job for the last Jeep, I stumbled across this handy write up on, IH8Mud. In-cab Winch Control.

Basically the Warn remote uses five wires.

• Black - Switched Hot, Power Out
  • Green - Switched Hot, Power In
  • Brown - Switched Ground, Power In & Out
  • Red - Constant Ground
  • White - Constant Hot
For the in cab controls I'd only need to control the switched hots and grounds. I really wanted a bling 12voltguy.com winch panel, but I saved all the stuff from my last Jeep, so I just chose to reuse it.

You'll need a regular toggle/rocker switch to "arm" the winch control switch, and then a double pole, double throw, momentary toggle for the actual winch control. Here's how I wired the DPDT toggle.
P1080196.jpg

It receives power from terminal five which is connected to the additional "arm" switch. Terminal two is the ground for the switch, and shares a common ground with the other switch as well. Aside from these wires, the only other thing you'll need to run is a fused power wire for the other switch.

I still had the wires ran to my solenoid box coiled up under the hood, so I don't have any pictures of which solenoids I tapped into. However, just trace the matching colors to their terminal, and use a ring terminal to tap into them.

Test fit all the wires, and checked to see if I had the connections right for the power in and out locations.
P1080195.jpg

After you got the wiring dialed in, pick a spot to mount the switches. There was already a hole drilled in the top location from a previous alarm, so I utilized the existing hole, and drilled another below for the winch control. There was also enough space behind this portion of the dash for switches/wiring.
P1080204.jpg

I just did the same project this last weekend. I was looking for a place to mount my switches, but the dash on the older Jeeps doesn't give you a whole lot of options. I was going to mount them on the console when I decide to look at what Prime 4x4 had to offer. I ordered one of their panels that fits where the useless coin tray is. The panel fit nicely and the wiring was already color coded and cleanly bundled in split loom.

I just did the same project this last weekend. I was looking for a place to mount my switches, but the dash on the older Jeeps doesn't give you a whole lot of options. I was going to mount them on the console when I decide to look at what Prime 4x4 had to offer. I ordered one of their panels that fits where the useless coin tray is. The panel fit nicely and the wiring was already color coded and cleanly bundled in split loom.

Wasn't aware of the Prime 4x4 one. Definitely another option to consider, plus they're a NAXJA vendor. :thumbup:

Basically the Warn remote uses five wires.

• Black - Switched Hot, Power Out
  • Green - Switched Hot, Power In
  • Brown - Switched Ground, Power In & Out
  • Red - Constant Ground
  • White - Constant Hot

I'm confused by this, As obviously it's working for you.. But i know the red Goes straight to the Main power lead, and the black goes to the winch to be grounded .. I think those two are backwards on your list:cheers:

I'm confused by this, As obviously it's working for you.. But i know the red Goes straight to the Main power lead, and the black goes to the winch to be grounded .. I think those two are backwards on your list:cheers:
That list is for the wiring for the winch controller not the main leads. Usually that's the case for red and black, but the black wire in the remote harness controls power out function, and the red is a switched ground.

Then again I'm not a Warn Tech.

That list is for the wiring for the winch controller not the main leads. Usually that's the case for red and black, but the black wire in the remote harness controls power out function, and the red is a switched ground.

Then again I'm not a Warn Tech.

Ouch..

I was just asking for my own clarification. This is something I've wanted to do for awhile..

On second thought, Let me get this straight, Did you Tap into the wires under the Control pack cover? or did you just make a plug?
I've not seen the wiring in a remote controller.. I assumed they would be the same color as under the Cover...

Last edited:
No, they're not the same colors. It's not just connect the colors be ause if you do it won't work. Torx's wiring chart is right. Here's what my solenoid pack looks like with the wires attatched.
12D218F1-D362-4C7C-978E-2678D86797AB-3677-000001A0A2862FC5.jpg

On second thought, Let me get this straight, Did you Tap into the wires under the Control pack cover? or did you just make a plug?
I've not seen the wiring in a remote controller.. I assumed they would be the same color as under the Cover...
I ran my in cab controller wiring straight to the solenoids in the "control pack" for the power in hot (green), power out hot (black), and power in/out ground (brown). I just traced the corresponding wires from the remote plug to their solenoids.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it's the same as the picture in the write-up I linked.
switch2.jpg

Let me know when you want to tackle this, and I'll lend a hand.

Back