• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Lab Rat - SFR's R&D Comanche

And once you have a CAD file you can tell the CNC to print it in steel and this is what happens.

108-4706-r.jpg

First test fit looks pretty good, just some minor corrections to be made.

108-4712-r.jpg

I also decided to add some plates to fit around the frame at the sway bar.

108-4725-r.jpg

108-4726-r.jpg

And got her all welded up.
108-4729-r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't show it but before doing the final install I also pressed some tubes through the frame at the steering box holes to keep it from crushing there, and also made a new steering box spacer.

108-4715-r.jpg

Before anyone asks, I did not make the reinforcement plates with the intent to sell them, as there are already a number of different options out there, but if enough people are interested I may decide to do so. If I do it would be as a full kit with the frame tubes, steering box spacer and the plates for both sides as shown here. No point in doing the job halfway IMHO.

Now that I had the frame plating done I was able to get started on the bumper. I've always liked very simple desert racer style tube bumpers, but I also wanted the functionality of a winch up front. I didn't want the winch to be right up top in front of the radiator as I just don't like the look, how it blocks air flow and the fact that it forces the bumper out pretty far. I decided to flip the winch upside down and push it all the way back against the core support.

First I designed the frame brackets that would support everything.

108-4731-r.jpg

Press Print.
108-4732-r.jpg

Do a little bending...
108-4734-r.jpg

And add the winch plate.
108-4738-r.jpg

I've had this winch around for a number of years, it came off of one of the RedBull Crawlers, and has been mounted to my trailer ever since LOL. Yes, I was seriously using one of Warns most expensive competition winches to drag broken junk onto my trailer. Now it's finally gonna be back in action again though.

108-4746-r.jpg

Started adding a little tubing.
108-4749-r.jpg

Here you can see how the winch will mount to the underside along with the fairlead.
108-4761-r.jpg

And here's the finished product
108-4759-r.jpg

108-4775-r.jpg

looks horrible.

you should scrap that and let me dispose of it.

Please tell me you're going to make a plate rear bumper so I can ditch my dirtbound piece of sheet metal excuse for a bumper?!

Love the bumper. Would buy.

I am considering offering a DIY version of the bumper. I hate dealing with shipping big bulky stuff, and it often kills the deal financially. I just need to figure out if it's something I can realistically send out in pieces and expect people to be able to assemble themselves. Also to be winch worthy it really needs to be welded on with the frame plating (which I did)

Just ship me the first test kit I will give it a go, no welding table and a bummed 110 welder from a buddy. Haven't welded for years, but did a lot growing up, mostly farm stuff should make a good rookie test. I'll ship you a longbow or recurve in trade, lol.

Finished up the winch install today. It took almost as long as building the bumper LOL.

The original red powdercoat was in pretty sad shape from years sitting out in the sun so I decided to disassemble everything and paint it black so it would visually disappear inside the bumper.

108-4786-r.jpg

Then I started working out where to put the solenoid box. I wanted it hidden away, and there's a huge space behind the lower core support where it would fit, but obviously that isn't the easiest place to access to plug in the controller.

108-4793-r.jpg

To solve that problem I pulled the plug out of the box and extended the wiring so that I could put it in an easier to access spot.
108-4791-r.jpg

With the grille back on it's nearly invisible, but still easy to access.
108-4795-r.jpg

108-4797-r.jpg

All done and hooked up.

108-4799-r.jpg

With the license plate on it pretty much disappears. I just gotta pick up a couple thumb screws to make it easy to remove for use.
108-4800-r.jpg

Then I started working out where to put the solenoid box. I wanted it hidden away, and there's a huge space behind the lower core support where it would fit, but obviously that isn't the easiest place to access to plug in the controller.

108-4793-r.jpg

Ohhhhh, I like that. I've been wanting to stash my solenoid box for years but haven't found the perfect spot. I think you just found it. I'm going to steal this and then I'll tell everybody that I thought of it first :D

With the license plate on it pretty much disappears. I just gotta pick up a couple thumb screws to make it easy to remove for use.
108-4800-r.jpg

hinge on the bottom, quick release pin on the top. that way it just folds down for winch use.

Back