• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Jeep Wheels Guide:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
http://colorado4wheel.com/images/jeepwheels/wheelsindex.html

Pretty complete, I still need to finish up with the WK, KK, and start a JK, XK, MK, MJ and WK2 page, I'm not sure if I will ever make a YJ guide. Feel free to email me with any corrections etc, my email is on the guide.

I could use info on the factory backspacing as I haven't filled that in for most wheels, but I think its pretty much all the same for all wheels of the same size.

Wow, you sure like collecting information, don't you... Good reference though!

Eccos came in 3 shades of gray/silver in addition to the tan. I'd have to look back at my brochures to get the factory names for each color. Mine are the medium shade:

Eccos came in 3 shades of gray/silver in addition to the tan. I'd have to look back at my brochures to get the factory names for each color. Mine are the medium shade:

As far as I can tell its the dark grey(like on the classics and the colombia editions), silver, and then a lighter grey was used somewhere.

Man, you know whats stupid? I came across a medium shade ecco at the junkyard today(which they wanted $35 for, about $15 too much for me) and was thinking "ya thats the medium shade ecco" without ever thinking about taking a picture of the thing THAT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

Durr.

The "tan" Ecco you list was painted Desert Sand Metallic, only available on Sports painted the same color. The paint match was a 2000 (possibly 1999 as well) option for XJs that ran $245 and mandated the Camel interior. I had one and only seen them every few months... not many made.

The "tan" Ecco you list was painted Desert Sand Metallic, only available on Sports painted the same color. The paint match was a 2000 (possibly 1999 as well) option for XJs that ran $245 and mandated the Camel interior. I had one and only seen them every few months... not many made.

I'm not positive, but I think that desert sand package was also avaialble on '99 Classics too. When we were shopping for new XJ's in 99, I kind of liked this color, but the wife didnt. We got a white Classic with the gray eccos, I guess it was medium.

On the "Silver stars" in the XJ section. Aren't they Ultra Stars?
Silver Star
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92700_00.htm

Googled Silver and Ultra, seems to be fairly consistent. Anyone care to clarify one way or the other?

Man I know what you mean, and the same confusion has existed since about 2002. Even way back then people were using the terms "silverstar" and "ultrastar" interchangeably for either wheel.

At this point I don't really care, the ones from quadratec were never factory equipped wheels, and are much rarer than the 5.9 "silverstar".

I'm not sure where either name came from, my recollection of factory window stickers from back in the day was that the "silverstars" were only listed at '16" Wheel Package' with no other name.

Which also brings up another point, most of the names we have used on these wheels I don't think ever came from an official Jeep literature(though some undoubtably do). The Ecco and Icon are obvious, they come from the Ecco and Icon concepts respectively.

But what about the Gamblers, Grizzly, Canyons and Ravines? Where do we get those names? Some people have indicated to me that the names came from dealer brochures back in the day, but until someone can find some of those and scan them(which I would love to include on the wheels page as a sort of source for the wheel nomenclature) I'm gonna stick with what I got for now. Even then, at the end of the day I'm betting most of the wheels never had an official cool name like the Icons and Eccos do. The WJ guide has a pretty complete and accurate collection of wheel names, and I can only assume they came from the original literature.

Even then I'm less concerned with making sure all the names are 100% original(though if I can identify what Jeep may have called them I'll use that for accuracy's sake), but rather having a guide so that when people are talking about factory options, restoring a vehicle(that sounds funny now but in 10-20 years we will be seeing that going on) a good reference is in place for the variations and what vehicles they came equipped on(which is one thing I haven't really put in place yet on the guide, what years and models the wheels came on).

Fair enough, I was curious. It seemed rather odd that the silver wheel would be ultra, and the chrome would be silver. Then again, I've never seen stones this shade of white either, but that's what color Jeep says my XJ is...

Fair enough, I was curious. It seemed rather odd that the silver wheel would be ultra, and the chrome would be silver. Then again, I've never seen stones this shade of white either, but that's what color Jeep says my XJ is...

Ya, I think that was my thinking at the same time too. A bit counter intuitive, but then again the names are just meant to sound cool, not be descriptive.

snag your desert sand metallic pic from this craigslist ad before it dissapears ;)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ctd/2258275474.html

Looks amazing, nice work! Hopefully it won't be long before you have all the pictures you need!

Is that picture of the Moab rims the dark grey or light? I have a set of dark grey sitting in my garage, but I think that is the picture you have. If not, give me a shout and I'll send a picture to ya.

Other than that, great job!

Last edited:
Nice work Sam.. thanks.

On the ZJ page, 3rd wheel down labeled unknown.. those are generally referred to as Sawblades.

Ya I've been meaning to add that, its on my list for the next time I update the ZJ page, I also need to throw the TSI ZJ pic up, I can't believe I forgot that one for as long as I did.

The 10 hole XJ rims have a variation that doesn't have the fake bead lock bolts on it. I believe that was on the 91ish sports.

Did the KK go "back" to a 5x4.5" bolt pattern after all the other Jeeps switched to it ?

The 10 hole XJ rims have a variation that doesn't have the fake bead lock bolts on it. I believe that was on the 91ish sports.

Ya I've got that listed on the variations section, I just don't have a picture of it to add.

Did the KK go "back" to a 5x4.5" bolt pattern after all the other Jeeps switched to it ?

The KJ was always 5x4.5, the KK stayed 5x4.5, also the MKs(patriot and compass) are still 5x4.5.
(I have no clue why Jeep did this, and it just makes our lives a little harder dealing with conflicting bolt patterns, I've got a brand new JK D44 front axle from a rubicon that I'm still not sure what to do with since it needs to be 5x4.5 to use my wheels, and its already wide enough that spacer adapters would make it TOO wide).

There's a picture out there where someone put some old turbines on his GF's Patriot:
10-spoke.jpg

That was weird looking!

Ok updated some other stuff, added a few pictures(TSI and TJ canyon), getting more and more complete all the time!

Pretty soon I'm going to move on and make a couple of new pages for the JK and XK, then maybe move onto the MKs, not sure if its worth doing for the YJ's and older.

Ya I've got that listed on the variations section, I just don't have a picture of it to add.

Sorry, must've missed that when I was looking ...

The KJ was always 5x4.5, the KK stayed 5x4.5, also the MKs(patriot and compass) are still 5x4.5.
(I have no clue why Jeep did this, and it just makes our lives a little harder dealing with conflicting bolt patterns, I've got a brand new JK D44 front axle from a rubicon that I'm still not sure what to do with since it needs to be 5x4.5 to use my wheels, and its already wide enough that spacer adapters would make it TOO wide).

That is weird, I could've sworn that was one of the things listed as changed when the KJ was released. I probably read it once and never followed up on it. I'm a little surprised you don't see more swaps between them, though there isn't really a lot to gain.

As for why the Compass and Patriot use the 5x4.5, that's easy, look at what they're based on and what the standards are for the small Dodge cars. Of course I'm sure that's all over the place now too with the Daimler and now Fiat influence we are bound to see some changes there.

Back