• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introducing the SFR High Roller Steering & Brake Kit

StinkyFab

NAXJA Forum User
You've all been asking for it and now it's just about ready. We finally have everything figured out and are prepared to start taking pre-orders.

The High Roller kit from SFR takes what used to be a very complex, confusing, and difficult swap and takes all the stress out of it. Lots of people have been telling me how they want to do the WJ steering conversion because the stock steering setup is so bad on a lifted jeep. It's weak, the geometry is bad, and with how steep the angles are it creates very vague and imprecise control. The problem is most people just can't figure out what all they need and how to make it work. Well now you don't have to piece it all together from many different places and hope to get all the pieces to fit together right. We've done all that hard work for you.

So here's what this kit does for you. We replace that funky inverted Y steering system and all of its problems and weaknesses with a heavy duty crossover system that provides direct, precise steering control. We also move all the steering components up higher away from the rocks to protect it and keep you from getting hung up. This kit also includes both upper and lower track bar brackets and a new track bar to get the suspension and steering geometry just right so that you have zero bump steer throughout your suspension travel.

In addition to all the steering benefits you also get larger, more powerful brakes. You get 12" diameter vented rotors with big twin piston calipers to replace the little dinky stock brakes. If you're running oversized tires this is an absolute must, as the stock brakes simply weren't designed to handle all that rotating weight.

We designed all our own custom parts for this kit so that everything is sure to work together properly. We also supply all the OEM parts required to complete the job, as well as perform some of the more difficult machining steps to save you time and money. We only use quality brand name parts like Timken, Moog and Centric, so you know you're not going to be replacing junk chinese wear items every few runs. Here's what you get with the kit.

• Detailed step by step instructions to guide you through the install process, as well as a full parts list so that when it comes time to replace a wear item you know what to get. Nothing worse than needing brake pads and not knowing what vehicle they are for.
  • NEW WJ steering knuckles machined for over the top 1 ton steering
  • NEW pitman arm machined for 1 ton steering
  • NEW double drilled Centric brake rotors, calipers, pads and hardware
  • NEW Timken unit bearing hubs
  • NEW Dana Spicer ball joints
  • SFR Heavy Duty .250” wall tie rod with offset tie rod ends
  • SFR 4130 Cromoly drag link with new MOOG tie rod ends
  • SFR 4130 Cromoly track bar with Cromoly Heim Joints (Johnny Joint optional on frame end)
  • SFR Lower track bar mount
  • SFR Upper track bar mount
  • SFR Over the top Sway Bar Brackets for the axle
  • SFR Sway Bar relocation brackets
  • SFR Bearing spacers
  • SFR spring bucket supports
  • All necessary Hardware

We will also be offering a basic kit for those who just want to buy the custom parts from us and source the OEM parts themselves. That kit will include all the SFR parts listed above, but none of the pieces you can get at your local parts store (bearings, brakes, knuckles, etc.). We will provide a complete list of all the parts needed to complete the kit, and details on the machine work that is required. This is the kit for the true do-it-yourselfer and requires more work to install, and of course more time in sourcing all the parts.

We do have a few recommendations and notes before you dive into this. First, this is obviously a pretty involved upgrade. There is welding involved, and it needs to be done by qualified personnel with proper equipment. If all you have is a 110v buzz box, or you have minimal welding experience, we recommend taking it to a professional. This kit requires at least a 16” wheel. The larger brakes and steering components will not allow for a 15” wheel. Some 16s with deep backspacing may also have issues. We recommend using 17” wheels. 17” wheels are becoming the standard for offroad tires these days anyways, so that is where you will find the greatest selection of tires as well. The last thing you may need are longer brake lines. Many lift kits come with them, so if you already have them you're in luck. Otherwise you should plan for them. We will have brake lines available soon as well.

Both kits can be found on the SFR web site at http://www.stinkyfab.com/jeep-steering-and-brake-kit.html . Pricing for the High Roller kit will be $1950, and the basic kit will be $775, but we are offering introductory pricing of $100 off either kit. We plan to begin shipping before the end of the month.

Now for pictures....

12523081_886039678182762_3789605920416258788_n.jpg

12510449_886039688182761_6316104967426927372_n.jpg

12512511_886039684849428_6419031659125144364_n.jpg

12417909_886039681516095_9078117216192872527_n.jpg

Hey, I got one of them shop lights in my garage too !!

You mention 17" rims as a recommendation for component, what about a minimum lift height for it all to clear ?

We built the kit around a 4-6" lift, but there is some adjustment in there as well. I don't have a hard number on a minimum lift, but it should work with most of the common heights.

Do the machined WJ knuckles come with the "basic kit"? As these are not something sourced from the local parts store.

The knuckles are an OEM part, and you can get them from some auto parts stores, but I'm suspecting most people who want the basic kit will simply go to the junkyard for them. We don't include them with the basic kit essentially so that people will have that option if they so desire. The main down side to doing it that way is that the customer will need to drill and retaper the steering arms themselves, which we do for them on the High Roller kit. We do it on the mill because that's the easy way, but you definitely can do it at home with a good variable speed drill.

Last edited:
Awesome kit you guys put together! This couldn't be a better option for the person like me who wants a complete kit with all guesswork removed. Im going to start setting funds aside for this upgrade right meow!

So nice! I will be buying this for my MJ. Very nice work. I can't wait to get back to SoCal!

did you get any bump steer, from the drag link being longer then the track bar ? I thought they needed to be the same length ?

thanks for you input.

did you get any bump steer, from the drag link being longer then the track bar ? I thought they needed to be the same length ?

thanks for you input.
In theory, same length and angle +/- is ideal.
However for a stock/stock-style setup, the coil bucket is in the way to have a longer track bar.
This kit is basically, plug n pray for a stock setup.
If you chose to run centered coil buckets, and set up differently, you could get them close to the same length.

thanks for you input.

In short, and for those who are just skimming, no, there isn't any bumpsteer.

Here's why, and I'm glad you asked, as this is something that is very commonly misunderstood. In a perfect world everything would be the same length and angle and perfectly flat, but in this case we are limited by packaging. There are 3 things that you want in your steering/panhard setup,

1. Equal angle
  2. As horizontal as possible
  3. Equal length
In that order of importance.

If you were to draw out the arcs that the drag link and panhard swing you'd find that there is a sweet spot where even with different lengths the 2 arcs intersect and moving up or down along them results in very little variation away from one another. This sweet spot is where the angles of the drag link and panhard match which was our primary goal for ride height with this kit. Getting everything to match at ride height makes for virtually no movement between the 2 for the maximum amount of travel. That's what eliminates bump steer.

Having them as horizontal as possible makes for the least amount of swing side to side of the axle assembly as the suspension cycles up and down. This makes the vehicle feel more stable when you're going through dips or over whoops, as the body isn't forced to shift sideways.

In short, and for those who are just skimming, no, there isn't any bumpsteer.

Here's why, and I'm glad you asked, as this is something that is very commonly misunderstood. In a perfect world everything would be the same length and angle and perfectly flat, but in this case we are limited by packaging. There are 3 things that you want in your steering/panhard setup,

1. Equal angle
  2. As horizontal as possible
  3. Equal length
In that order of importance.

If you were to draw out the arcs that the drag link and panhard swing you'd find that there is a sweet spot where even with different lengths the 2 arcs intersect and moving up or down along them results in very little variation away from one another. This sweet spot is where the angles of the drag link and panhard match which was our primary goal for ride height with this kit. Getting everything to match at ride height makes for virtually no movement between the 2 for the maximum amount of travel. That's what eliminates bump steer.

Having them as horizontal as possible makes for the least amount of swing side to side of the axle assembly as the suspension cycles up and down. This makes the vehicle feel more stable when you're going through dips or over whoops, as the body isn't forced to shift sideways.

thank you both for your input, that has helped me under stand quite a bit more on how the whole thing works.

Tell you what, if you want to do some advertising in the Southeast, send me one of your kits, I'll install it on my Jeep and drive it around to events as a rolling billboard.

In lieu of that, I can keep scraping pennies until I have enough....

I want this kit!!

How much lift are you running on that? Thanks for the quick email reply on Saturday as well.

Back