• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The dumbest Cell phone debate thread: With poll!

What phone should I buy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ill take your word for it, because I guess I dont know for sure it doesn't.

I looked on their site and it does say :

Auto white balance and improved noise reduction help you take great videos in almost any setting.

but that's not sound their referring to.

I also found out their being sued for allegedly stealing the technology to do so.

As an owner of several different models of iPhones before and after the addition of the second microphone and implementation of noise cancellation, I can assure you taking video benefitted from noise cancellation.

I know to most this seems simple, buy a phone.. dont like it? sell it.. right? Its not that easy.. I keep my phones for years at a time.. not weeks..
You're preaching to the choir dude. I've had 4 cell phones since 1999.

Usability - iPhone. Features - S3. Android has evolved greatly since four years ago. If you know how to use an android to its best ability, it will provide way more than an iphone. It all depends on if you're capable of doing so. That the reason I love my Galaxy Nexus. I know how to use it and get a lot out of it.

Lets be honest, Apple is way over priced. All you're paying for its the "look". An unlocked iPhone 5 goes anywhere from 649$-849$ plus. A unlocked Nexus 4 (a fairly good android phone) from google goes for 299$-349$ That's

Who buys unlocked phones? 99% just upgrade and if you do that they are all around the same price.
Exactly.

Witch is the reason for Debate.. My Contract for 3 different lines is coming up for Renew, witch means all phones are the Discounted "New contract" price..

Both the S3 and Iphone5 are $199.. Of course, the 32gb IP5 is $299.. I'd probably swing for that..

Who buys unlocked phones? 99% just upgrade and if you do that they are all around the same price.

Exactly.

Witch is the reason for Debate.. My Contract for 3 different lines is coming up for Renew, witch means all phones are the Discounted "New contract" price..

Both the S3 and Iphone5 are $199.. Of course, the 32gb IP5 is $299.. I'd probably swing for that..
I buy unlocked phones, and many others do as well. But I will say that most people DONT, because there is no benefit to doing so on MOST carriers. With MOST carriers, your monthly bill is the same whether you upgrade or buy it outright.

For people, like me, on T-mo or other GSM/sim-based cell providers there IS a benefit of SAVING MONEY! T-mo has their VALUE plan, which is a contract based plan, but is 20$+/mo cheaper than their CLASSIC plan, and you either pay full price for phone, or bring your own. Yes, there is a decent amount of money up front. But you still come out on top.

Their pre-paid plans are also less expensive than the other major providers. And then there's providers like StraightTalk, Net10, etc that are only 45$/mo unlimited everything
when you BYOD (bring your own device). So, there are benefits to purchasing unlocked phones, or just buying outright. An example of this, is anyone on Verizon who currently has unlimited data will automatically get switched to a tier plan if they upgrade.

I buy unlocked phones, and many others do as well. But I will say that most people DONT, because there is no benefit to doing so on MOST carriers. With MOST carriers, your monthly bill is the same whether you upgrade or buy it outright.

For people, like me, on T-mo or other GSM/sim-based cell providers there IS a benefit of SAVING MONEY! T-mo has their VALUE plan, which is a contract based plan, but is 20$+/mo cheaper than their CLASSIC plan, and you either pay full price for phone, or bring your own. Yes, there is a decent amount of money up front. But you still come out on top.

Their pre-paid plans are also less expensive than the other major providers. And then there's providers like StraightTalk, Net10, etc that are only 45$/mo unlimited everything
when you BYOD (bring your own device). So, there are benefits to purchasing unlocked phones, or just buying outright. An example of this, is anyone on Verizon who currently has unlimited data will automatically get switched to a tier plan if they upgrade.

I would rather have a rotary landline, than Tmobile

I have an android smart phone for personal use and love, its fast, capable and reliable. I also have an iphone 4s as a work phone and wish i could smash it with a hammer, it always freezes, its slower than my android, and stupid siri starts talking in my pocket every 5 seconds. (with siri turned off it does the voice control prompt) I will never buy an apple product after using it, not to mention the lack of custom apps.

Depending on location, it's not for everyone. Everywhere I have lived have had great service.
But there are other companies that do prepaid that do not charge an arm and a leg. Verizon, Sprint and ATT are not on that list!

THIS

ex tmo customer here... never going back.

I love the idea of android. If only the ****ing phones would actually stay reliable. I'm finally fed up on those damn things and just bought a flip phone a few weeks ago, still haven't gotten it connected to my account though. Honestly I'm going to miss the email, data, GPS, high quality camera (YMMV, it sure had a lot of blurry pixels though), ability to SSH from it, address book synching to my gmail, and full keyboard... I will NOT miss the battery life issues, reliability problems, constant crashes and stupid bullshit, constant nagging software updates (that never cover the issues I actually have), and high cost of replacement.

Like hell I'm going Apple though, I want a phone that does what I need it to, not a goddamn status symbol with a corporate logo on it that I pay a premium for. You can keep your koolaid.

Do you root your phones?
no. I never really have a reason to... and I don't think it would fix the fact that they like to brick themselves (without me screwing with the firmware or doing anything out of the ordinary) either.

S3, the newest Android OS is far better that the older ones. My Droid 4 had 2.3 when I got it and it was clunky. 4.0 is so much nicer! I vote that or if your eyes aren't very good, a Note II.

IF you can wait for a few more months, do it and go Android. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is set to come out between late March and May based on the rumors I've seen. The S4 will blow any Apple fanboy and their koolaid away...the camera, processor, screen resolution, battery, operating system, user interface, and everything else will surpass anything Apple currently has. I've seen rumors of wireless charging, laser keyboard projected onto a flat surface, a touchless touch screen (floating touch technology), and more.

As been said many times in this thread, Android has dramatically improved in recent years...much faster than Apple has. Apple will without a doubt be surpassed by the S4 if only half the rumors of the S4 are true. With the lack of technological advancements of each Apple release (4S, 5, etc.) Android will be crowned king within years if Apple doesn't step up their game. Apple just wants to make money, if they release 50 different variations of the iPhone each with a slight improvement over the last....they will make more profit than releasing one with a lot more upgrades. With Android you have many other companies competing off the same Android base, with Apple you have...well whatever they want you to. iPhone's are Apple's phone, that you pay a huge premium to "own". Android is many different companies striving to provide exactly what consumer's want with no restrictions to customizing like you see on the iPhone.

Android > Apple ----- any day of the week for me. IF you can wait, I highly recommend it...

News on the S4:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...laxy-s4-release-date-news-and-rumours-1089523

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2013/01...-6-with-s-pen-wireless-charging-and-exynos-5/

Apple disappointed me big time with the iPhone 5. It also disappointed their investors too because their stock has fallen a couple hundred bucks a share since the release of the 5.

One of two things are going to happen, they are going to come out with something surprising, new and totally unheard of (like the original iphone) or they will fail. My bet is on something new and great.

And as far as all these spectacular rumors on the S4. I'll believe it when I see it. The rumor mill has gone crazy and I just don't see it. Unless someone has come out with a new battery technology or the thing weighs five pounds all these spectacular new features you talk about will flatten a battery in about 20 min.

It's kind of frustrating, That most Android owners insult Apple owners. It's Tasteless. If you have a Droid, and it works for you, Good! I'm not jealous, Its not "Koolaid" for you to be a Droid fanboi..

I have explained why, I as a consumer.. Enjoy my Iphone. It has nothing to do with "Koolaid" Right now, I am typing this on a Windows Computer.. I guess you can say i am not "Brand loyal" I enjoy Products that "WORK"

I still have my original Samsung Galaxy Android phone (Verizon Cantinuum)
I hated that phone.. weeks after buying it, it was slow, and Glitchy. and it only got worse

This thread was not intended to be a "This is why i like my Iphone" It was simply made to get to the Popular vote and see what people have and prefer.

Even today, I'm a far cry from hating Apple.. But I *AM* interested in seeing if Quality and functionality has changed over the last couple years with samsung Droid based phones.. I simply feel burned.. and skeptical.

Android owner always talk about apple and their "koolaid drinkers" yet it seems to me they are always the ones putting down everyone down who doesn't have the same stuff they do.

I always relate them Toyota owners. Which pretty much means my shit doesn't stink and if you don't have what I have you are less than me. Stupid stupid.

we've done net10.

$85 a month for two phones. no 4g, just 3 g. On Verizons towers with 99 dollar samsung galaxy phones.

I can't complain.
It's still cheaper than two "dumb" phones were with verizon, and that was after a 22% discount.

F verizon.

android 4.0>2.x trust me.
the interface is much imrpved, adn the new phones have tons of extra processing power.

Back