• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The dumbest Cell phone debate thread: With poll!

What phone should I buy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I started with android 4 years ago. Hated it.

Me and the wife have been avid IPhone lovers since.

But after 2 years with 2 iPhone 4's. we are ready for an upgrade

Only two options.
Samsung SIII
iPhone 5

Vote!

I've had a lot of phones... Nothing I've liked more then the iPhone

I've had a 3G,3GS(x3),4(x2),4S, ill be getting the 5.

apple does make good stuff. but iv never been a drinker of their koolaid. if I had to buy a new phone right now Id go with the GS3

Apple makes junk

GF just got the Iphone5, all jazzed about siri
until I pointed out that my 2 year old LG does the same thing (voice commands)
The only difference is that the Apple comes with a friend

Before I answer the either/or question, I have to ask: How do you use your phone? Do you use a bunch of the wiz-bang apps, surf the web, play games? Or do you mainly use it as a phone?

Current example: I "upgraded" to a "smart" phone a couple years ago. Paying 70 bucks a month for voice/data/text/etc. which I discovered I never use. I'll be "downgrading" back to a flip-phone soon. (If you can't tell, my vote was "neither" I'd say get a standard phone and a tablet)

If you like the form factor/function of the apple, that's probably what you should upgrade to. If you really hated the AOS 4 years ago, you probably won't like it any better now. If you're considering going back to it, get one you can play with for an hour or more(or a loaner if they still do that sort of thing) before you buy.

I hear you tbburg, Basicly, My Iphones have always done exactly what i want, Simply work.. "Simply" is the keyword.. I know Very well that Android has the edge on Features/technology, But My iphone has always been reliable, and none of my Androids were! I'm one of those clowns that gets pissed off and throws his phone if its not working.. I broke 3? Androids this way... 3 years later.. and i have Yet to even get remotely close to that angry with my Iphones..

The last thing i want to do is spend $300/ea and Hate it 2 months later.. But on the other hand, I am looking for "Something new" and with Iphone changing the Charger, I figure.. if i have to change chargers, i might aswell try a Better optioned phone..

I know to most this seems simple, buy a phone.. dont like it? sell it.. right? Its not that easy.. I keep my phones for years at a time.. not weeks.. Too much going on to turn into some mega-review guy with a new phone all the time.. I just want something that works..

I have an iPhone 4. Had it since they came out. It still works. I'm very very hard on phones.

I have nothing against android. Especially since the latest software release but....quality control over the phones that use android scares me a little. My sister in law has an SIII. It's been replaced twice for two totally different defects. Not so sure I'd brag about android and say apple makes junk.

I have had an iPhone since 2007 with the iPhone Original. I beat that thing up through two and half years of college and it was still working fine when I finally replaced it with the 4. I then proceeded to upgrade to the 4S and now the 5! The 4 and 4S were great but 3G just wasn't doing it for me anymore which is why I got the 5. LTE is amazingly fast! Faster than my Comcast home internet pushing 25 Mbps! Sure Android had that for a while now but very few areas had LTE back then. Now that LTE has coverage over most of the nation on most carriers LTE is relevant enough to put to good use!

Now the GS3 is a good phone and alot of people like it. If I HAD to buy and Android phone then it would be the GS3.

But I like my iPhone because I can still use it with one hand, it is extremely easy to use, it is extremely reliable, and should you ever need it Apple has an iron clade warranty with the possibility to extend it!

I agree with everything but your last point. Apple will go out of their way to try and screw you out of a warranty job. A buddy of mine had the apple store install a screen protector and they got some of the fluid down in the earbud hole where the moisture sensor is. It quit working and they told him they wouldn't cover it because it had got wet.

I agree with everything but your last point. Apple will go out of their way to try and screw you out of a warranty job. A buddy of mine had the apple store install a screen protector and they got some of the fluid down in the earbud hole where the moisture sensor is. It quit working and they told him they wouldn't cover it because it had got wet.

I'm sorry your buddy had trouble getting it replaced. I had my 4S replaced for a bad ear bud speaker and they replaced no questions asked. Relaced my 5 for a scuff right out if the box. My brother beat the crap out of his 5 cracked the screen and the back glass pieces and he took it in for a faulty speaker and they replaced despite it being busted.

Got an S3 the day after Christmas and love it.

Have plenty of friends that drank the apple koolaid, and they seem like good phones but I couldn't justify the money on one.

S3 or iPhone, it all comes down to the carrier. I was a Sprint customer for 7 years until I got my S3. Changed over to Verizon and haven't looked back...

But I like my iPhone because I can still use it with one hand

I dont understand this. they even made a commercial about it. I use my droid bionic with one hand all the time. Im sure I could even use a bigger phone with one hand.

also the whole noise canceling thing the Iphone does, my dads 20$ flip phone does it too. its just not an innovative enough feature for company's to use as a marketing ploy.

thats what I mean by the koolaid. the way they manipulate their customers. also the whole were not going to have enough of these phones when it comes out so better get in line now tactic. and the thing is they dont have to. they make a great product.

I dont understand this. they even made a commercial about it. I use my droid bionic with one hand all the time. Im sure I could even use a bigger phone with one hand.

also the whole noise canceling thing the Iphone does, my dads 20$ flip phone does it too. its just not an innovative enough feature for company's to use as a marketing ploy.

thats what I mean by the koolaid. the way they manipulate their customers. also the whole were not going to have enough of these phones when it comes out so better get in line now tactic. and the thing is they dont have to. they make a great product.

You must have some very large hands then because at the iPhone 5's current size I can just get my my right hand thumb to touch the top left corner without having to reposition the phone in my hand, which is why I say I can use it with one hand. Other phones I would have to reposition the phone in my hand or hold it with my left hand and gesture with my right.

But hey if you can use a larger phone with one hand then more power to ya. I didn't get manipulated, I walked into AT&T and played with them all myself and didn't like the feel of the other phones thus reassuring myself I was making the right decision buying my iPhone 5.

Ok thats cool if your Dad's flip phone had it but Apple introduced it when almost none, if any, other manufacturers were implementing noise cancellation on SMARTPHONES! Nobody said they made up the technology. I don't know about you but I remember people posting videos of concerts or other loud events on their social media sites but you could never understand them because the sound was so loud it would get distorted. I can take a video in a crowded bar of a band playing and still pick up the conversations of the people next to me while maintaing to hear the music from the band crystal clear.

I didn't drink any kook-aid, I looked at each product examined the pros and cons, looked at reviews, watched the androids around me fall apart and annoy their owners, then watching each one of them buy an iPhone after being frustrated and disappointed with their Android phones. I was a PC user for my whole life, bought Nokia phones and then Motorola phones (who is now owned by Google by the way) but better technology came along and hopped on board. My Mac is a dream to use with almost no issues and with the couple of issues I have encountered I was able to fix on my own which is something I cannot say about windows PCs. I was in college for 5 years and went through 3 PCs all of which failed on their own through no fault of my own.

Think of Apple buyers like those who buy Toyota, Honda, Kia, or Hyundai. We bought our products not for top performance (though my Mac kicks the ass of every PC I had) but rather for reliability and ease of operation.

Im not knocking their products. just their business practices. I think their stuff is great.

and the noise cancellation has to do with phone calls not videos.

ill take your word for it, because I guess I dont know for sure it doesn't.

I looked on their site and it does say :

Auto white balance and improved noise reduction help you take great videos in almost any setting.

but that's not sound their referring to.

I also found out their being sued for allegedly stealing the technology to do so.

Back