• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The CAT Gets a Little Closer to Buggification (no puppy pics...)

JeepFreak21 said:
Looks real nice, but zero adjustability. I hope you got it right the first time! :laugh3:
Billy

You & me both... It's all about the driver anyway. Geometry is overrated:lecture:.

myjeepsbigger said:
Thanks for the close-ups. Any contact between the arms and the crossmember braces when at full flex?

None. The suspension can fall out completely drooped & the top arms will just touch. Limit strap will grap it well before than.

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Looks nice Matt.

You'll dig the way that thing climbs now. Eliminating axlewrap is a beautiful thing. Airshocks are pretty cool, too.

I can't wait til we play that game on the trail, you know the one......."jump in your buddys rig and beat on it". I know which one I'm goin' for.......

Rick

Keep in mind that I'll beat your rig as hard as you beat mine..., wait yours is already beat to chit, I'm hiding the keys.

BrettM said:
VERY nice.

How much slack are you planning on the center limit strap? I haven't decided for mine and I'm running similar AS numbers, though coils not air shocks. Do you have a nitrogen kit for the airshocks? the guys I know with them had to try a lot of combinations before getting what they wanted, sure would be nice to be able to adjust out on the lakebed.

I went with 7" of slack with the idea that I can tie it in knots or twist it to shorten it. It's kinda hard to make them longer. I want to have plenty of travel when hunting goats on the lakebed. We use nitrogen pumps to pump fertilizer. All I had to do was make up a hose with an air chuck.:wave: Job perks...
XJoachim said:
:worship: :worship: That looks simply great. :wave:

I'm redesigning my rear links this winter and i like the way you did it. Any specs or drawings about your rear crossmember? I would like to get some inspiration on how you did it, first time i see tubing on a crossmember, i like that idea. :wave:

The cross member was a piece of material from my lower links (1.75 250 wall) The braces are just 1.5" 120. Simple & clean.

Matt

Very nice, Matt.
Can you post some pics of the sway bar setup?

kid4lyf said:
Very nice, Matt.
Can you post some pics of the sway bar setup?
The swaybar setup is pretty cool except it lacks adjustable holes. Theres plenty of room to drill them if I feel like I need to stiffen it up later on. They make bushings to fit in either 1.75 120 or 1.5 120 tubing. I had to fit it into the chasis as clearenses are getting a little tight at full compression. The first pic is at full compression & nothing hits yet...

4linkswaybar.jpg

4linkswaybar2.jpg

FarmerMatt said:
Keep in mind that I'll beat your rig as hard as you beat mine..., wait yours is already beat to chit, I'm hiding the keys.
Matt, 35 spline shafts are over-rated, 30 spliners hold up just fine :)

"Buggification?" Is that even a word?

Just funnin'. Nice work - wish I had space to play like that (Hell, wish I had MONEY to play like that!)

If you do chop something up, would you save me a roof panel - if it's straight? I need something to fill the hole the sunroof is going to leave when I take it out of my 88 - and I'll be happy if I can just trim a panel to fit the hole that I'll be left with once I cut out the sunroof and the cracks...

Gimme an excuse to drive out there again anyhow.

5-90

Who did you buy your sway bar from and what diameter bar are you running? I'm investigating one for mine as I'm finding the rear is doing all of the work since it was coiled.

xtremexj94 said:
Who did you buy your sway bar from and what diameter bar are you running? I'm investigating one for mine as I'm finding the rear is doing all of the work since it was coiled.

FarmerMatt said:
The shocks are Rock Equipment's air shocks along with thier sway bar (I didn't want to give up stability).

Question on the construction of that rear axle: How were the ends built? I'm guessing some sort of adapter that a front 60 spindle bolts to was welded to the ends of the tubes. What I would like to know is where did the adapter come from? Is it available for purchase? does it press on the tubes and then get welded? Does it butt up against the end of the tube, get aligned with an alignment bar and pucks etc, and then butt welded on? Can you post some closeup pics that show this area? Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, I've seen that axle in person a few times. I believe it's just a Warn full-float conversion bolted to Ford 9" large bearing bearing shells, that are, of course, welded into the tube in the normal semi-float fashion. Off the shelf parts from Currie and Warn.

CRASH said:
Jeff, I've seen that axle in person a few times. I believe it's just a Warn full-float conversion bolted to Ford 9" large bearing bearing shells, that are, of course, welded into the tube in the normal semi-float fashion. Off the shelf parts from Currie and Warn.

The problem was with the brakes. It required custom machining to fit the Wilwoods & line-locks for the e-brake.
IIRC, there were no off the shelf options.

Paul

matt, looks great man. all the link mounts turned out awesome. I am sure you spent many hours sitting and staring and measuring. I have been convinced by enough harping of the WCGIC to abandon my rear 4 link for at least the next couple of years.

I am glad that the stuff from Tony worked out.

SeanP

Well after 2 outings, short day run at Hollister Hills & a long 4 days of wheeling on the Hammers, I can say that I'm extremely impressed. I'm one that always thought that leaves were good enough. I honestly didn't think there would be this big of a difference in performance between leaves & a 4 link. I couldn't have been more wrong. What really blew me away was the effect the rear suspension had on the performance of the front. For instance, I broke my front limit strap on the first jaunt through the dessert out to the trail. I had a severe "unloading" problem in the front end. This is nonexistant at this point. Also gone is the front end lifting the opposite tire in the air as you climb a steep ledge. After 4 days in JV I can't remember an instance where I even lifted a tire off the ground. Even on the steepest of water falls all 4 tires just seemed to want to plant & dig in. I honestly couldn't be happier.

PS
Sean,
The Rock Equipment air shocks absolutly rock. They seem to just float. Going across the dessert, through the whoops, at 70mph. It was incredible. I'm going to look at throwing those things on the front...

geometry.jpg

Back