• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me why this ISN'T a '96 XJ....

I'll tell u what it is its a POS

why is the console black with a tan arm rest, that guys just trying to put sprinkles on a turd, for all we know it could as old be as an 87, maybe thats why all the pictures r from such horrible angles, and why is there no mention of what motor it has

Last edited:
PhotographerMike said:
Dash is earlier, look at the air vent under the steering wheel.
My 92 has the vent under the steering wheel. My 96 doesn't. JIM.

KBB books one in EXCELLENT condition at $2800. This one is a far cry from that. It looks like it's been sitting in the weeds for a long time. No telling what else is wrong.

i believe there were 3 shades of tan interiors in xj's, and that looks like the 87-90 camel tan color. ive seen a darker tan in the older limiteds, and all the 91 and up have a light tan

I am pretty sure that this is an 87 or older XJ based upon the looks of this intereior. The seats, grill, door panels, plastic crank windws, etc match soem older XJs that I have owned (looks a LOT like the interior of an 85 XJ wagoneer).
I dont even recognize the wheels, the interior carpet looks like a LOT of use, so I'm going to say a very early XJ. The funniest part is the missing shot of the rear of the XJ, where the "4.0L/Hi-Output/etc" would be found.

langer1 said:
I thought the big change year was 97. Body parts seem to be listed 87-96.
Engine parts seem to be 91-97.
Oh and Air bags were optional.

ABS was optional, airbags were never optional. They were mandated by the government to have a driver's side bag in all cars standard as of '96 model year.

bajacalal said:
I think it has a 1996 non-tilt steering column. It looks just like somebody put one of those tacky "racing" steering wheels on there, eliminating the air bag. You know, the ones that are always found on late model Civics which also sport neon lighting, stickers and huge wings.

my 95 has the non tilt column, and it isn't like that. That's a GM wiper switch. It does look like an aftermarket wheel.

Didn't think there was anything out there that my '90 looked better than,now that I see that I know there is. He's offering $1200 to take it away right.

Anyone know why they removed the vent under the wheel? I loved the cool air on my crotch my '90 XJ used to provide me with.

Matthew Currie said:
side note to FRAM: I think opening vent windows were optional throughout all the years until they dropped the windows in 97. They are less common on later models in part because air conditioning became almost standard equipment. But many earlier base and low line models also did not have them, so fixed windows do not necessarily mean a later model.

Thanks I was curious about that.

As for Airbags they were introduced in 95. (Driver's side only) With the "refreshing" of the XJ design in 97 saw the introduction of passenger side airbags.

Another way to tell that isn't a 96 is if you look at the tcase shifter lever it is thin with a red stripe running through the middle. 96's have a fatter one like the 97-01's. Also look at piece that the seatbelt clips into. My 96 has black plastic ones with big red release buttons. That has the generic metal ones that are in all older GM cars and maybe Chryslers as well.

Last edited:
That's got almost all the same stuff my stripped '87 has, including the too-basic guage cluster.

My guess is that's a 1986, the "1996" was a typeo.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Definitely not a typo - the guy was committed to it being a '96 and said "I know how to read VIN's - I'm a tow truck driver and I do it all day."

I checked a VIN chart I have and he's correct, the "T" does in fact designate a '96 model year.... but it appears you guys agree with me for the most part, all the clues point toward a pre- '90 rig.

I simply told the guy I was concerned for any false advertising and trying to keep him from litigation if he did actually sell it represented as it was. I told him to do himself a favor and check to see that the VIN plate on the dash matches the stamped VIN in the engine compartment.... he replied back with "Well, it's not my jeep, I'm selling it for a friend - I don't know what he may or may not have done to it". and "Whatever the case is, my friend is willing to take $500 for it and anything that runs and has 4x4 is easilly worth that - even if there were title issues."

....... I smell a fraud.

It might possibly be a hack job rebuild, that's been flood damaged or wrecked/rebuilt with earlier model parts.

However the price is now starting to get in the ballpark.....:D

Back