• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me about my 99 XJ

kennzz05 said:
where in fl?

St.Pete.

I've had a chance to really get into it now, I've removed the fender flares to dye them black because the Florida sun has turned them gray. LOTS of dirt and sand underneath those, and in the rear bumper dirt was all caked in there good so I broke out the hose and left a crap load of dirt on the driveway. I busted off a few of the studs from the brackets holding on the flares so I'll have to make a trip to the junkyard or Jeep parts counter.

It has rust, but most of it is surface rust underneath on the axles and driveline. I'm thinking in the near future I'll just take it all out, clean off the rust and POR-15 everything and put it all back in with new bushings.

And of course there is the axle shaft seal that's leaking......I'm not sure it's a job I really want to tackle. I called Jeepsters here in St.Pete, and they quoted me $300 to replace both seals (might as well do both while you're in there) is that a fair price?

And oh yeah, My Jeep is White :)

If you're going to pay for it, definitely do both sides of the axle.
On a lighter note, I'm a librarian and I did tons of research on this purchase. I chose a '99 specifically because they had fewer mechanical issues, according to Consumer Reports and various automotive magazines as well as insider trade journals, than other recent model years. It did have somewhat more (numerically) electrical problems, but since that's kind of my thing, I didn't worry about it.
EDIT: Mine was Stone White, too, once.

Last edited:
Back