• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

You probably don't want the MWC as a pit crew anyway.

red 'having ice cream' heep

you could have had all the ice cream in the world. i suspect the recovery crews were ;)

we spent half of the race stuck in the mud in the rocks. a very messy race.

4th place. i really wanted to leave these guys a podium spot, but 4th plus a fully race prepped car when they get home will be enough i guess.

IMG_20160409_155830885_zpsriel8snr.jpg

Last edited:
Shocks (I should change shock fluid, but I don't, as I am not tooled to recharge them).
You shoulda said something. The nitrogen setup is sitting about 15' away from your car right now.

Thats from memory. A bunch of other things will come up as you go through the car. I spend a few hours a night on it, and a few long weekends (mine are all 3 day). I know a lot of the desert race teams go a lot further than I do, but their races are longer than ours.

I've been to a couple of the big dog desert race shops between races. Often times the car is stripped to the bare chassis. Notice how the majority of trophy trucks and Class1 cars aren't actually painted. That's cause they get stripped down to nothing after every race, scrubbed with scotchbrite and WD-40, every weld inspected for cracks, repairs made, then reassembled with all new hardware.

What's involved in changing shock fluid? I know in some way nitrogen is involved? I have a tank for pressure testing its not that involved. I really enjoy this thread.

It's fairly straightforward. Discharge the shock by pressing in on the schrader valve, then open it up and dump out all the oil. Usually we put all new seals and such in at this time as 90% of the work is already being done. Inspect the valving shims and replace if they are getting worn out, dump new fluid in, reassemble, and recharge with nitrogen.

The only reason most people can't do this at home is because they don't have the nitrogen setup. The shocks get charged to around 200PSI. Nothing real special about it, but you do need a tank, high pressure regulator, and proper hose and fill valve.

It's fairly straightforward. Discharge the shock by pressing in on the schrader valve, then open it up and dump out all the oil. Usually we put all new seals and such in at this time as 90% of the work is already being done. Inspect the valving shims and replace if they are getting worn out, dump new fluid in, reassemble, and recharge with nitrogen.

The only reason most people can't do this at home is because they don't have the nitrogen setup. The shocks get charged to around 200PSI. Nothing real special about it, but you do need a tank, high pressure regulator, and proper hose and fill valve.

How much did the regulator run, out of curiosity? I've got a couple of motorcycle shocks to rebuild and the only thing I can't do myself is charge them and you live too damn far away. :confused1

How much did the regulator run, out of curiosity? I've got a couple of motorcycle shocks to rebuild and the only thing I can't do myself is charge them and you live too damn far away. :confused1

you can piece it together cheaper, but you can buy the entire charging setup ready to go (minus the tank) for 150-175ish off amazon/ebay

Our tire servicing kits are calibrated. When they fail calibration, which is a pretty tight tolerance, they go to DRMO. I bet if you looked around some gov auction sites you could get them pretty cheap. They'd be more than accurate for what you guys were trying to do.

Our tire servicing kits are calibrated. When they fail calibration, which is a pretty tight tolerance, they go to DRMO. I bet if you looked around some gov auction sites you could get them pretty cheap. They'd be more than accurate for what you guys were trying to do.

Can you get an NSN on it so I can keep my eye out?

Not sure what all is in your tire servicing kits, but a normal nitrogen regulator doesn't do the pressures needed in a shock, and I can't imagine any tires needing 2-300psi.

As for cost, it's been so many years I can't remember.

Not sure what all is in your tire servicing kits, but a normal nitrogen regulator doesn't do the pressures needed in a shock, and I can't imagine any tires needing 2-300psi.

Main landing gear tire pressure on a B-52H is between 240psi and 305psi depending on fuel and ordinance load...

The nose tires on a V-22 are 250 psi. I'm not talking about 235/75/15's. The portable nitrogen cylinder we use has 3000 psi in it.

Do you think I would make that suggestion without knowing what I was talking about?

Back