• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teach me about backup monitors and cameras.

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting way old and am just about at the point where I'm going to have to park thge old XJ for good. I've got about 40% vision in my right eye. I stopped about four inches short of a parked cart backing up yesterday evening, I did back into a bush. That right hand mirror is rough to see out of, especially in low light.

I was thinking a backup monitor 7 inch, might keep me on the road awhile longer. But the number of choices kind of makes my head spin and I have no idea what is worthwhile and what is basically useless. The star rating system on Amazon may or may not be an indicator of usability and reliability.

A little help would be appreciated. My last real accident was in 1995, other than dinging an occasional fence post or a bumper parking. So my skills are basically sound. I'm just thinking technology may help keep me from making a costly, stupid or tragic mistake.

Agreed, my dad runs that Pyle unit, with 2 camera's (one mounted low for backing up, one mounted higher for driving - it sees over his spare tire.

Works very well. Sometimes gets washed out by bright lights right behind you, but rarely, and is very clear otherwise.

I have a low-budget Double din DVD/stereo in my truck, I picked up a $15 rear view camera and have to say, it makes it nice for tight parking lots.. My cheap camera tends to fog up in rainy conditions.. I imagine a $50 Name brand being a little better in quality..

I hooked mine up to a switch for the stereo.. I can turn it on any time.. Make's it nice when towing a trailer.. being able to look back at the hitch/Trailer load is Kind of neat!

I have the factory back-up cam in my 09 Hemi Commander and love it. I do not know if i can ever hook up a car trailer again without it LOL! Makes spotting a trailer super easy.

I was looking at BUC's for my 90XJ since I often tow my 10' box with it and if you just want a cheap unit Advance sells this one;http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...1-p?searchTerm=back-up+cameras&zoneAssigned=1

I was thinking the bigger the monitor the better, but the rear view mirror models do have there pluses. Most of my issues are backing up in low light. I added an extra backup light, 55 watts diffused light, but it still isn't enough.

I was wondering how the wireless modeös work, does the rear camera hook up to a hot wire? Or are they batteries? Some of the product descriptions are less than clear and concise.

I don't mind paying the bucks. if it actually works as advertised and lasts. I've found all to often, price isn't really an indicator of quality.

I'm really not looking forward to running wires from the front to the rear, I remember when I put in my trailer wiring, it was a pain.

Two cameras, one high and one low sounds great, I have a 3/4 ton trash trailer.

Most of my issues are backing up in low light. My rear window has factory tint. I really can't figure out how to get it off of there without messing up my rear window heater. Low light and the rear view mirror is pretty much useless even with the extra backup lights. And we all know about the side mirrors on the XJ, even with the fancy adjusters they are pretty marginal. And like I said, I'm vision impaired in my right eye.

I sure hope I find a solution before catastrophe finds me.

i got an OEM toyota rear view mirror with the monitor built into it from ebay. i have to build my tire carrier and then mount a camera and get it all hooked up. i didnt want a monitor anywhere.

i got an OEM toyota rear view mirror with the monitor built into it from ebay. i have to build my tire carrier and then mount a camera and get it all hooked up. i didnt want a monitor anywhere.

I just looked that part up, wow! I had no idea anything like that existed. I know what im spending my part of the tax refund on :eyes:

Back