• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC speedo sensor BIG PROBLEM

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 cherokee and I swapped in a NP231 TC but never put in a speed sensor on the transfercase. Sicne the install, I have had a horrible grinding noise when I left off the gas and decelerate. I thought it was my rear axle, but isnt, and its not the rear driveshaft. Also, I know I used regular ATF and not ATF+4 so could this have a bad effect on my tranny and TC? I was thinking maybe the open hole in the TC from the sensor is related to the grinding noise?

that was my initial thought. I will check the fluid in the TC

the speedo hole is above the fluid fill hole, and i never found any fluid under the jeep yet

that was my initial thought. I will check the fluid in the TC

the speedo hole is above the fluid fill hole, and i never found any fluid under the jeep yet
So wait, you drove your Jeep around with an open hole in the transfercase, and didn't think the fluid would come out?

I'm also fairly certain you are supposed to use Mercon/Dexron in your t-case, not ATF4

Also, do you have a lift?

I'm pretty sure your TC is now full of dirt, regardless of whether it let the fluid out. And the fluid gets splashed around pretty good by the chain + the pump...

Would you leave the oil cap off your engine and expect Bad Things to not happen? Or the brake reservoir cap?

doublefacepalmkzmq.jpg

I have a 96 cherokee and I swapped in a NP231 TC

What year TC did you swap in? If it's a <90 TC you'll have a cable & speedo gear, not a gear and an electrical sensor.

>90 has electric

I have had a horrible grinding noise when I left off the gas and decelerate. I thought it was my rear axle, but isnt, and its not the rear driveshaft.

How are your tranny, engine mounts? Do you have a TC drop?

Also, I know I used regular ATF and not ATF+4 so could this have a bad effect on my tranny and TC?

Dex III and up. NO ATF, +4 or otherwise. Same as the tranny, assuming it's an automatic.

I was thinking maybe the open hole in the TC from the sensor is related to the grinding noise?

I doubt it's from the whirlings of the TC, unless there's a problem with the TC itself (like ATF and dirt) I think I'd go back over and retrace my steps. Leaving cross member bolts, mounts loose (it happens to all of us)would explain why it's grinding on deceleration. Any way you look at it, grinding is bad.

I'd start by draining the ATF (at this point you should probably flush ALL the ATF out) and getting some Dex III or better, getting a speedo sensor, checking mounts.

Last edited:
You may have knocked the catalytic converter insides loose while changing the TC. Jeep had a recall for my 96, for rattling cat. don't remember the exact details but i ended up with a new cat.

Back