• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Talk about crazy lawsuits... $8.5M paid to alcoholic

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
Wednesday, February 2, 2005

Conductor wins settlement
Ticket-taker is paid $8.5 million after contending that the 2002 Placentia train wreck worsened his alcoholism.

By GWENDOLYN DRISCOLL
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

A train conductor who sustained minor injuries in April 2002 when his Metrolink train collided with a freight train in Placentia was awarded $8.5 million Tuesday after insisting that the crash exacerbated a pre-existing drinking problem.

Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway confirmed that the case was settled out of court.

The lawyer for Patrick Phillips, 52, of Riverside said a mild concussion suffered during the crash triggered a desire for alcohol that transformed Phillips from a "controlled" alcoholic into a man who drank himself into malnutrition, dehydration, and eventual dementia.

The case was particularly unusual, said Phillips' lawyer, Jerome L. Ringler, because Phillips was subjected to a series of medical tests immediately after the crash, including a CT scan that found no injury.

"We were able to prove that what had occurred was a change in his behavior due to a microscopic injury to the brain which you don't necessarily see on scans," Ringler said. "In a normal person it would be inconsequential, but because he was not normal ... it caused that problem to emerge in an unabated way."

Although lawsuits for injuries that exacerbate pre-existing conditions - the so-called "eggshell-skull" rule - are not unusual, the lack of immediate physical evidence of any injury in the Phillips case was, Ringler said.
"It was a very difficult case to understand and to prove," he said.

The case pitted teams of medical experts, including neuropsychiatrists, psychologists and radiologists, against each other in an effort to explain the behavior that led Phillips to drink heavily in the months after the crash, against the advice of doctors and despite being checked into the hospital for dehydration and malnutrition in August 2002.

Ringler said that before the crash Phillips, a ticket-taker on the train, was an acknowledged alcoholic who had spent time in a Pasadena rehabilitation center.

Phillips lives in retirement at the house of his sister Nancy in Riverside. The $8.5 million annuity will be paid out in installments over 20 years to provide for his long-term care, Ringler said.

Paid for 20 years? think of all the Mad Dog 20/20 that'll buy...

On the other hand there was the guy on the folgers coffee can label, he worked a Home Depot and people kept asking if it was him, he finally investigated it and found out it was, they had been using his pic for quite a few years. Settlement was like $15.x million bucks.... The ad agency just picked his pic out and used it w/o checking to see if he ever signed a release... sometimes good things happen in lawsuits.

RichP said:
On the other hand there was the guy on the folgers coffee can label, he worked a Home Depot and people kept asking if it was him, he finally investigated it and found out it was, they had been using his pic for quite a few years. Settlement was like $15.x million bucks....

Close... Here's the story. I only checked this out because it sounded close to urban legend - just a bit too plausible almost, but no, it really happened.

RichP said:
sometimes good things happen in lawsuits.

Well, not to pick a fight, but what good thing is that?

Sure, the guy got rich quick (or not-so-quick, with all the appeals.) But not because he suffered fifteeen million in any sort of damage. Just because some pencil pusher screwed the pooch twenty years ago, and his team of bloodsucker lawyers saw a potential payday. So now this company has to pay through the nose for a minor snafu by some dork that probably doesn't even work there anymore, a screwup that didn't actually HARM anybody.

Sure the guy should get paid for his image. And he was paid, $250 in 1986. Nobody's picture is worth fifteen million.

Hell, for 15 bigguns I'd let you take my whole damn face...
Robert

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Well, not to pick a fight, but what good thing is that?

Sure, the guy got rich quick (or not-so-quick, with all the appeals.) But not because he suffered fifteeen million in any sort of damage. Just because some pencil pusher screwed the pooch twenty years ago, and his team of bloodsucker lawyers saw a potential payday. So now this company has to pay through the nose for a minor snafu by some dork that probably doesn't even work there anymore, a screwup that didn't actually HARM anybody.

Sure the guy should get paid for his image. And he was paid, $250 in 1986. Nobody's picture is worth fifteen million.

Hell, for 15 bigguns I'd let you take my whole damn face...
Robert

x2

after reading this post and consequently banging my head on my keyboard, i can definately say there is some damage to my brain (some you already know this) and now have a lawsuit pending against the internet for brain damaging content....
i want 10 mil for the key imprint on my forhead, and another 2 dollars for the brain dmamge...see ? it already strtng.....

So who's the defendant in your case... Al Gore ?

biscuitboy87 said:
after reading this post and consequently banging my head on my keyboard, i can definately say there is some damage to my brain (some you already know this) and now have a lawsuit pending against the internet for brain damaging content....
i want 10 mil for the key imprint on my forhead, and another 2 dollars for the brain dmamge...see ? it already strtng.....

Back